Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE Spring Cleaning 2021 - Braun Strowman, Aliester Black, Buddy Murphy & More

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,874 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Thing is, if WWE did get bought it would probably be the same crap or at least for the same while. Wrestling is a weird beast. Like say NBC bought WWE (or my other guess Disney :p ) and they brought in their own TV exec type dude to over-see things. They wouldn't get wrestling at the start.

However, at this point any change in WWE would be welcome.

Well it’s been proven with WCW and a few other companies that as mad as wrestling is, it’s needs wrestling people in charge of it. TV people haven’t and don’t think will ever get what pro wrestling is. It’s the one thing that WWE has always had for better or worse I should be said, that vince whether he wants to admit or not was a wrestling promotor.

Necro wrote: »
    Yeah I've totally zoned out of WWE tbh, have very little interest in wrestling in general.

Have a devastated seven year old here regarding Strowman though, did not see that coming...

Yeah nobody seems to have seen it coming. I was asking about a reason and his contract has been mentioned and that’s a possibility but even still he’s not the only one a supposedly large contract in WWE, so he’s not unique in that way. It’s very very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭ThePott

Tbh most of WWE (Raw especially) is so bad now, it couldn't get any worse, go ahead and sell it, only way to go is up.
    As for potential buyers. NBCUniversal makes the most sense, were it not for the Peacock deal I could see Netflix making a play for them but hard to tell with the deals in place at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,243 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Any update on Bryan? Like is he officially done or has he signed a new contract?

He was supposedly in talks with AEW

Also what's happening with Edge?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

At this stage who will be left

Drew vs Bobby for another year on Raw, plenty of KO vs Sami Zayn and the big dog going around beating everyone on SD

Not having live events is a killer for some wrestlers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

If it ends up being sold ,someone with half a brain could bring back the diehards again with some fundamentals, long term storyline etc they easily have the talent

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Sell to Disney and get Kevin Feige to take over :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Imagine Tony Khan throwing in a cheeky bid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭ThePott

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Sell to Disney and get Kevin Feige to take over :P
    Johnny Gargano liked this

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well it’s been proven with WCW and a few other companies that as mad as wrestling is, it’s needs wrestling people in charge of it. TV people haven’t and don’t think will ever get what pro wrestling is. It’s the one thing that WWE has always had for better or worse I should be said, that vince whether he wants to admit or not was a wrestling promotor.

Agreed.
    ... Long post warning :pac:

Honestly tho I think Vince McMahon is over rated! As in like, the smart creative genius he is supposed to be.
    A bold statement to make as who am I. I have done nothing compared to that man. But I have heard over the last few years about successful business men just having the right idea, the right time, right finances and or luck but could never re-create that success again or in other ventures.

Like credit where credit is due. Vince had an idea of creating a nationwide product in WWF (later to be a world wide product) He had the foresight to say screw the territories. Let's cherry pick the best talent and chose the best man to help spear head this... hulk hogan. Let's make wrestling more entertainment. The larger than life characters etc. Fair play. He rode that train for many years.

Then in 1995 it was the worst year in history for WWF/WWE. It took a tiny promotion called ECW for wrestling to grow up and WWF and WCW followed suit. ECW imo created the attitude era. Vince and co simply adopted it.

Again fair play to the man, he outlasted WCW and eventually bought them. We have to mention terrible and poor practices by WCW helped this. So then he had the invasion angle in 2001. Single handedly the greatest pro wrestling angle of all time that should have secured big business for years to come but a flop.

IMO, wrestling has been on a slow but steady decline the last 20 years. Yet Vince, the man who ushered in the new era of wrestling cannot capture fans once more.

Like isn't there reports that back in the day Vince could never put over any gimmick that wasn't his own creation? ... that is not the trait of a shrewd business man.

• Advertisement

If it ends up being sold ,someone with half a brain could bring back the diehards again with some fundamentals, long term storyline etc they easily have the talent

Sorry there’s too much logic in that post caller.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Also what's happening with Edge?

When I was trying to think earlier who could be the major star released, I actually really thought it could be Edge for a minute

He's on massive money
    He was out injured for nearly a year
    Didn't boost any ratings (even when he showed up on NXT it didn't do anything to ratings)
    "Reports" that Vince thought he looked old and weathered
    The way him and Bryan were pinned at WM

But it doesn't seem to be the case :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Im all for WWE doing releases. They have been talent hoarding for the last 5/7 years. they need a clear out big time.

However, they are releasing the wrong guys.

Murphy is Cesaro level good, hes amazing in the ring and could easily be an upper mid carder. Completely misused.

Same goes for Ruby Riott. Never given a chance despite her have the tools to be much more than what shes been presented as.

Black is just mind boggling. Hes a slam dunk superstar. He could be that dark, Undertaker esque character they so what Bray Wyatt to be. How short sighted are this company to build this guy up again only to let him go. Its pure modern day WWE.

Braun is a shock, he should have been so much more but they have damaged him over and over again with botched feuds and poor booking. Hes been pushed prominently lately too to a point, main event matches, feud with a McMahon.... so short sighted.

If Keith Lee is gone then its the biggest chance in years to make a star in recent times. What a blunder.

Lana was on borrowed time, I wanna see less of her.

But yet Tamina, Nia Jax, Corbin, Nattie, and other stale performers continue.... its mind boggling.

Mismanagement is an understatement.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

beakerjoe wrote:
    But yet Tamina, Nia Jax, Corbin, Nattie, and other stale performers continue.... its mind boggling.

Yeah I wouldn't miss a single one of those if they got booted tomorrow. Throw Dana Brooke and 'Mella' on that steaming garbage pile while we're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I can only speak for myself, but if any of what you've floated came to fruition in the company. It wouldn't be enough to draw me back to committing 7 hours a week of my time.

Yeah I wouldn't miss a single one of those if they got booted tomorrow. Throw Dana Brooke and 'Mella' on that steaming garbage pile while we're at it.

Braun isnt my cuppa tea, but the reason he is not a star is on WWE.

He has the look, hes trained from scratch, he was a company man and lets be honest, an ass kisser. Every idea for him since....I dunno, the Survivor Series with James Ellsworth...... has stunk. They botched him completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

If Daniel Bryan ends up signing with them again it would leave a bad taste in my mouth. If he really is about building guys up then he should tell them to stick it.

If Daniel Bryan ends up signing with them again it would leave a bad taste in my mouth. If he really is about building guys up then he should tell them to stick it.

Look at the guys Bryan was helping get over.....Drew Gulak..... WWE does nothing with him.

Ali, Garza, Humberto, Ricochet, Cedric, Tozowa, ...... they do zero decent with them.

I hope they all leave. Impact, NJPW, AEW, NWA, ROH, will all be better places with that talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,559 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Murphy would do well in MLW.

Murphy would do well in MLW.

He will do well whereever he goes. If anyone is an AEW signing, its him, Riott and Black.

• Advertisement

Carmella has some promise though or at least had recently. It says a lot of family connections in pro wrestling that Nia jax is still with the company. I mean tamina is someone you hear good things about as a person but I think she’d be better suited to another role in the company that isn’t in ring. And yeah nattie is never going to leave it seems.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Carmella has some promise though or at least had recently. It says a lot of family connections in pro wrestling that Nia jax is still with the company. I mean tamina is someone you hear good things about as a person but I think she’d be better suited to another role in the company that isn’t in ring. And yeah nattie is never going to leave it seems.

The Rock being the mega celeb means they arent going anywhere, but man they suck and drag the product down.

Nattie is staler than year old bread, that said its not all her fault (or Tamina or Nia's) ....... they all suffer from the awful creative WWE serves up.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

WWE’s product is so stale it’s clear they’re just spinning the wheels. Obviously now they’re trying to sell the company which makes little sense Vince and co doesn’t need the money I always thought Vince would want the company to stay in the McMahon family but he must want the WWE legacy to die with him rather than hand over the reigns.

HHH and Steph sold a ton of stock recently so that makes sense now.

I accepted about a year ago the WWE I used to love is dead. I have no doubt whoever buys the WWE will have it stripped bare and most likely fold it up and just keep the library rights in less than 5 years.

But it does give me renewed hope for wrestling overall. AEW will only benefit from this and smaller organisations will grow stronger from WWE’s sale.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Loughc wrote:
    WWE’s product is so stale it’s clear they’re just spinning the wheels. Obviously now they’re trying to sell the company which makes little sense Vince and co doesn’t need the money I always thought Vince would want the company to stay in the McMahon family but he must want the WWE legacy to die with him rather than hand over the reigns.

The Roman Reigns? :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The Roman Reigns? :pac:

I genuinely had that written down in the post. I was nah too cheesy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 60,559 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They need a good clear out of NXT as well either send the likes of Ciampa, Gargano, Fish, O'Reilly & Cole up to the main roster or let them go. As good as they are they part of the reason NXT has gotten so stale rehashing feuds. I'd add Balor to that list as well time to send him back to the main roster or drop him.

The last year with no touring and based totally in Florida was the time to test the waters with them on the main roster.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,206 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Surprised Ricochet is still there

If there's more cuts coming he has to be in that next group

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Loughc wrote: »

HHH and Steph sold a ton of stock recently so that makes sense now.

I accepted about a year ago the WWE I used to love is dead. I have no doubt whoever buys the WWE will have it stripped bare and most likely fold it up and just keep the library rights in less than 5 years.

But it does give me renewed hope for wrestling overall. AEW will only benefit from this and smaller organisations will grow stronger from WWE’s sale.

I’d Nearly go the opposite myself.

The issues I have with WWE, the ****ty camerawork, the wasting of talent, would likely be improved massively if even semi decent directors and writers were brought in.

I’ve shifted to AEW recently, and thing that strikes me isn’t that it’s doing anything groundbreaking. It’s just not over complicating things. It’s keeping wrestling at its best by being simple. Simple camera work, simple stories.

WWE has an incredible roster. But it’s wrecked by the idiosyncrasy of Vince McMahon. Rewriting shows at short notice, banning random words cause he doesn’t like them, and so on.

For me, WWE couldn’t really get much worse behind the scenes, and having a more professional ownership model behind them would fix a solid 80% of the problems overnight if given to a competent show runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,164 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

New AEW scout is a big Braun fan...

"Braun is the atypical guy we need in pro wrestling. That's what I look for when I'm scouting talent."

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I’d Nearly go the opposite myself.

The issues I have with WWE, the ****ty camerawork, the wasting of talent, would likely be improved massively if even semi decent directors and writers were brought in.

I’ve shifted to AEW recently, and thing that strikes me isn’t that it’s doing anything groundbreaking. It’s just not over complicating things. It’s keeping wrestling at its best by being simple. Simple camera work, simple stories.

WWE has an incredible roster. But it’s wrecked by the idiosyncrasy of Vince McMahon. Rewriting shows at short notice, banning random words cause he doesn’t like them, and so on.

For me, WWE couldn’t really get much worse behind the scenes, and having a more professional ownership model behind them would fix a solid 80% of the problems overnight if given to a competent show runner.

While I agree with the Vince issue the problem is whoever they sell to will get an entertainment show runner in.

The big advantage AEW has is Tony Khan is a WRESTLING fan. That’s why AEW is so much better. They pay attention to the small details. Whoever buys WWE will licence it to feck and use it as an entertainment vessel nothing more.

Whoever they do keep on as wrestling advisors will still be in the WWE model that’s gotten so stale.

Advertisement