Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Garda) checkpoint on the bike

Options
  • 15-04-2021 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Came across a checkpoint yesterday and am interested to hear others experience.

So I saw the Garda in the road as I approached, I pulled into the center of the lane and slowed as I approached. Once I was close I got a slightly shocked “You’re grand” and was waved on - almost as if there was no real expectation that I’d have thought I needed to stop.

And while yesterday could have been in part a COVID related response- I wasn’t wearing a mask on the bike! But I’ve occasionally run across “tax/insurance” checkpoints before and had similar responses.

Just wondering is this a common reaction?

Paddy

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I've passed a number of covid check points whilst on my bike and don't think I've been stopped. They usually stand stoic until I get have slowed enough and then wave me on :rolleyes:
    I wouldnt wear a mask whule on my bike. Absolutely no point in it as I'm outdoors on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Thankfully down this way guards applied a lot of common sense and "checkpoints" for cyclists have practically being non existent all year.

Who in their right mind would ever wear a mask on a bike... It's not something I've seen. We all.carry them in back pockets but that's in the event of a shop stop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

What would they be stopping you for? We are allowed travel within our counties so covid checkpoints will scale back

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I was stopped and questioned several times during the initial lock down last March/April and asked for papers etc. to prove essential cycling but mainly waved through this year.

statto25 wrote: »
    What would they be stopping you for? We are allowed travel within our counties so covid checkpoints will scale back
    How would the Garda know you're within your county?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Even before the recent loosening they'd never stop a cyclist. I've a job which requires me to be on prem and must have rolled by 50+ checkpoints during this lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭secman

Haven't seen a checkpoint since just after Easter, regularly passed through the one at the Blue Gardenia at Brittas and was never stopped going either way, waved through every single time . Used to wear a snood and often pulled it up passing walkers,joggers on the quiet back roads. Haven't worn one since weather warmed up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

Waved through almost every time for last 12 months.

Stopped twice, once was a simple "ah shure, out for a birra exercise is it?".
    Second time was surprising interrogation on where I was going where I had been, where was my 5K limit etc. Very odd at 7am in pitch black on Rock Road when they could have doubled up on the line of cats instead.

secman wrote: »
    Haven't seen a checkpoint since just after Easter, regularly passed through the one at the Blue Gardenia at Brittas....
    It was still there today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Thanks for the replies folks. In all honesty I’ve no issue with checkpoints or being stopped. Just the reaction of Garda surprised me a bit, as Wishbone Ash said they’ve no idea if I’m within my county or not - yet I was left with the clear impression they didn’t expect me to stop.

I have to say given the number of uninsured drivers the cops seem to have found around Naas, I suspect I may be seeing more checkpoints in the future!

Paddy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,576 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Thankfully down this way guards applied a lot of common sense and "checkpoints" for cyclists have practically being non existent all year.

Who in their right mind would ever wear a mask on a bike... It's not something I've seen. We all.carry them in back pockets but that's in the event of a shop stop

I wear one all the time, cycling in rush hour and breathing in god knows what is not fun. I change the filter every fortnight and it's shocking how filthy they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

stop wrote: »
    Waved through almost every time for last 12 months.

Stopped twice, once was a simple "ah shure, out for a birra exercise is it?".
    Second time was surprising interrogation on where I was going where I had been, where was my 5K limit etc. Very odd at 7am in pitch black on Rock Road when they could have doubled up on the line of cats instead.

That’s odd. But I have even in the car had that, where either the car or me or something else tripped the Garda. About 2 years ago I got the full “is this your car gig” - I’m mid-40’s and was driving back from work complete with IBM badge still hanging around my neck... :D

Paddy

I get the impression that most (non cycling) Gardai think that cycling involves doing just a few kms around your home.

There is also the irony that those of us who have been provided with documentation to show that we are essential workers, could easily show such documentation when not on a work related ride.

Like others most waved me through, during the first lockdown and then into the first 5km one. I was stopped a few times asked if I was outside my 5km etc and explained my route and that I would be outside briefly to make a left to come back inside it again and there was never an issue or I never got the impression they thought I was taking the piss.

During first lockdown my partner was stopped at a few different check points on her way to work so she laminated her essential worker sticker for the car she got in work and slung it over the bars of the bike.

The last time I was stopped it was purely because the lads were bored I think, I was probably the first person they'd seen on the road that morning and had a "grand morning for it" chat with them for a few minutes and what the chances of the LBS having a bike for him would be.

From other family who had essential work they found the evening ones in the car a pure annoyance, stopping no body or a random one and grinding traffic heading home from work to a standstill.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

didn't go through too many checkpoints on the bikes (maybe 20 times in total) and was never stopped.
    anecdotally, you were more likely to get a grilling in a car with an out of county reg than with an in-county reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've passed through checkpoints hundreds of times and not once have I been stopped or asked anything. I usually get a nod, a smile and wave through. I've passed through the same checkpoints so many times that I reckon most of the Gardaí recognise me by now.

The only Garda that ever said anything to me was the friendly lad at the checkpoint at the top of the hill on Kylemore Road coming out of Chapelizod who looked at me, smiled and said "Come on, you're almost at the top!" He actually brightened up my day.

I think most Gardaí see a cyclist as already out exercising rather than travelling somewhere to then get exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I passed 3 checkpoints (while cycling) and I only had to stop once.

I only stopped because the Garda car was parked at an angle, blocking the inside lane. My options were to either bunny hop onto the pavement and go round the car, or move out to the outside lane and pass the Garda. It was January, it was dark. I had a very bright front and rear lights, yellow shoe covers, a blue jacket (with reflective elements) and yellow gloves.

As I approached the Garda, he waved me on. As I passed, he gave me some helpful advise..."you should really wear a hi viz jacket" WTF?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

maybe he only saw you at the bery last second.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

maybe he only saw you at the bery last second.

Good point! Maybe he was blinded by the very bright BLUE flashing lights reflecting off the hi-viz cover Garda car! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Did you contact Liveline?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Unless you're carrying ID how would they know where you are from?

An experienced copper has a nose for bull**** like you'd not believe. If you are used to people making excuses day in day out you can easily separate the wheat from the chaff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭Enduro

stop wrote: »

:) I'm amazed and impressed that they were able to herd the cats into a line!

By asking,

The vast majority of people will not lie to a Garda when asked such a question.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. In your earlier post, you said that their was no need for checkpoints now as we are allowed to travel within our counties. That's a bit like saying that there is no need for speed checks on a motorway as 120km/h is permitted. Checkpoints are not there to catch people obeying the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

For much of the last lockdown, there was a Garda checkpoint outside Glasnevin Cemetery. It's one of those stretches of road that has a bike/bus lane and bike path on the footpath. Despite the fact that the bike path ended about 20m beyond the checkpoint, everytime I passed in the bike/bus lane, the same Garda would shout at me to use the bike lane. I kept meaning to stop and explain to him that I might consider using it if they ever moved some of the cars regularly parked on it at the Cemetery gates. I suppose he was bored out of his tree and just trying to get some reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Lad in Mayo colours cycling down Sean McDermott Street in Dublin?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

For much of the last lockdown, there was a Garda checkpoint outside Glasnevin Cemetery. It's one of those stretches of road that has a bike/bus lane and bike path on the footpath. Despite the fact that the bike path ended about 20m beyond the checkpoint, everytime I passed in the bike/bus lane, the same Garda would shout at me to use the bike lane. I kept meaning to stop and explain to him that I might consider using it if they ever moved some of the cars regularly parked on it at the Cemetery gates. I suppose he was bored out of his tree and just trying to get some reaction.
    There's a brutal surface on that cycle path. I'd never dream of using it even if there were no cars parked on it.

ooh, i'd *love* to be stopped by a garda and asked that. 'because you lads allow motorists to park on it'.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Enduro wrote: »
    :) I'm amazed and impressed that they were able to herd the cats into a line!

550513.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The checkpoint on the Con Colbert Road has the Garda vehicles parked in such a way that cyclists can pass unhindered on the left. I've seen one or two others on the quays set up the same way but these seem to be gone since the 5km was lifted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement