Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Garda) checkpoint on the bike

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I was stopped and questioned several times during the initial lock down last March/April and asked for papers etc. to prove essential cycling but mainly waved through this year.

I got stopped at 2 check points (N11 stillorgan and Dun Laoghaire) repeatedly last year.

Each time they asked where I was from. Waived on. Never asked for more than that

Only check point I have seen this year is on the M4

• Registered Users Posts: 18,363 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

godtabh wrote: »
    I got stopped at 2 check points (N11 stillorgan and Dun Laoghaire) repeatedly last year.

Each time they asked where I was from. Waived on. Never asked for more than that

Only check point I have seen this year is on the M4

I remember one last year at UCD N11 , but they were on the road and the cycling lane is off the road

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Paul Griffen

Thankfully down this way guards applied a lot of common sense and "checkpoints" for cyclists have practically being non existent all year.

Who in their right mind would ever wear a mask on a bike... It's not something I've seen. We all.carry them in back pockets but that's in the event of a shop stop

Whats weird about it, wore a face covering all the time on motorcycles, dont you get bugs in your face.

Cyclists who want to be respected as equal road users saying its common sense to not have checkpoints including cyclists is a complete hypocrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Cyclists who want to be respected as equal road users saying its common sense to not have checkpoints including cyclists is a complete hypocrite.

Check points do very little and are more of a publicity stunt if anything.

I've travelled the length and breath, every back road and boreen of this country throughout this entire pandemic and I'd say I've maybe passed through a dozen smaller random checkpoints other than the larger more semi permanent based ones.

Every single time. Where are you heading today? To work. Never asked where I'm from with the exception of one Garda asking for a work letter. The hotel receptionists are stricter than the Gardaí to be honest.

I once got a notion to cycle to a meeting across the country which was a cycle/train/cycle and same return. I passed through a check point and stopped for a chat about the fine weather and how much of a balls the pandemic is.

The gardai know well a large number of people of all shapes and sizes are taking the piss and are only following orders. Take a look at your local woodies which will be out the door with casual shippers. Yet no checkpoints in their car parks.

Also if conversing with a garda at a checkpoint always put a mask on those lads are rampant with it. I live beside a few of Gardaí sharing a house and their hypocrisy of house parties is frustrating to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

ooh, i'd *love* to be stopped by a garda and asked that. 'because you lads park on it'.

FYP

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: OP query answered, thread closed, enjoy the rest of your weekend.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement