Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Police killing of 13 year old Adam Toledo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,419 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Wouldn't be nice to live in a world where the headline actually read. "Career gangbanger criminal gets shot whilst evading the police after last crime" Age is of little importance and about as important as his last victim was to him.

What victim. Did this boy have previous victims ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Effects wrote: »
    Comply with orders as soon as possible, and you drastically reduce your chances of a bad outcome.

clearly not always the case, with plenty of examples i'm sure.

He stopped, but didn't immediately comply or raise his hands. He tried to dispose of a gun and hid his movements.

he more or less complied as quickly as it was possible for him to do so.
    he wouldn't have been able to do all of what you claim within the time frame.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Has it not turned out that he didn't have or fire a gun ?

No he 100% had a gun. And he 100% shot a gun, the gsr proves that.

Fandymo wrote: »
    No he 100% had a gun. And he 100% shot a gun, the gsr proves that.

Ok now I see. They say he had been shooting a gun earlier I thought you were talking about the initial report that he shot at police

• Registered Users Posts: 83,443 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ok now I see. They say he had been shooting a gun earlier I thought you were talking about the initial report that he shot at police

I don’t know of any shots at police but prosecutors say he had gunfire residue on his hand. That doesn’t tell us when he fired it or where he fired it, and that evidence might still be cross examined. Prosecutors already made grave errors with facts they presented to judges in the case already so I take it with a pinch of salt. Initially they told a judge that when the officer shot him there was a gun in his hand when the officer pulled the trigger. The video however clearly shows that not to be the case and the prosecutors office publicly admonished the prosecutor who relayed that claim as not having the facts straight.

• Advertisement

It's as simple as it is, an armed guy ran away from police, stopped, hid his movements with a gun in his hand, then turned quickly towards a police officer and was shot, before the officer had enough time to evaluate the situation, as he feared for his safety.

If he feared so much for his safety why charge full sprint into the alleyway?

Why is “I was scared” a ready excuse for police excessive use of force?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭Ckendrick

What's this got to do with BLM?

You appear to be so blinded by your racism biases that you think everything is cops VS BLM.

Take a step back from the internet

What are you talking about?? The entire narrative behind these sad deaths since George Floyd died last year is that there is a war between minorities and the US police.
    BLM are the driving force behind this narrative.
    BLM have had such an amount of donations that one of the co founders has fortunately been able to buy herself a home at long last.
    Oh it’s a million $ mansion in an exclusively white neighbour hood but I’m sure it’s another step along the road for justice for the victims of the evil racist cops...

It's easy for you and I to look back at multiple angles of video of the incident and make that decision.

It's not the same as a police officer, in the moment, chasing an armed suspect, who then hides his movements and quickly turns to the police officer.

He could just as easily have been raising a loaded weapon.

Lol.

Don’t need multiple angles. We see one angle. His angle.

That's his job.

Then clearly, the job needs to be reformed.

Has it not turned out that he didn't have or fire a gun ?

His gun was found nearby.

WTF was a 13 year old doing with a gun? Madness.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/15/us/adam-toledo-police-shooting-body-camera/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

It’s America.
    The only surprise was that he only had one.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,687 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It's easy for you and I to look back at multiple angles of video of the incident and make that decision.

It's not the same as a police officer, in the moment, chasing an armed suspect, who then hides his movements and quickly turns to the police officer.

He could just as easily have been raising a loaded weapon.

He asked him to do something. The child did it. The officer shot him and killed him.

The end result is the same, America needs to take steps to prevent this happening. These steps, in my view, include A, reforming how police are trained and perform their duties, and B, reducing the presence of guns in society.

Anything else is just noise.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/15/us/adam-toledo-police-shooting-body-camera/index.html

Madness for thee but not we.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2737205/amp/Gun-girls-America-Innocent-faces-Pink-rifles-After-horrific-shooting-9-year-old-children-grip-nation-s-troubling-obsession.html

A child owning a gun is not itself a death sentence. Nor frankly is it outlawed in the United States. Children much younger than 13 can own and fire guns.

Yeah, not always the case, but often it is.

More or less? He had enough time to run 150m or so, rather than comply.
    He then had enough time to conceal his movements while he hid a gun, rather than comply.

So again, the cop sprinted 150 m to put himself into a lethal encounter.

The officer had a lot of time too, you know.

Gun ranges in the US allow kids as young as 10 to shoot guns.
    I know he wasn't at a range he was most likely using his older friends gun but it shows how sickly obsessed with guns the US is

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Enter name here

He asked him to do something. The child did it. The officer shot him and killed him.

The end result is the same, America needs to take steps to prevent this happening. These steps, in my view, include A, reforming how police are trained and perform their duties, and B, reducing the presence of guns in society.

Anything else is just noise.

Wouldn't it be easier to just teach them to be LAW abiding citizens? Or atleast give them a criminal job description for example, hazards of the career choice you may be shot by other criminals or a police officer.

Wouldn't it be easier to just teach them to be LAW abiding citizens? Or atleast give them a criminal job description for example, hazards of the career choice you may be shot by other criminals or a police officer.

He was 13 he didn't have much time to learn anything

So rather than reform and retrain the 600k or so police officers being paid by the taxpayer and regulated by the lawmaker you think it is more efficient to “retrain” a population of 350 million men women and children to just be better criminal suspects?

:confused:

Well bad parenting and living in a snowflake society will do that to you where you are taught to ignore authority.

Well bad parenting and living in a snowflake society will do that to you where you are taught to ignore authority.

He didn’t ignore authority. Stop. Show me your hands.

Stopped. Showed his hands.

Dead.

“You shouldn’t have ignored authority?”

The **** is that.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    So rather than reform and retrain the 600k or so police officers being paid by the taxpayer and regulated by the lawmaker you think it is more efficient to “retrain” a population of 350 million men women and children to just be better criminal suspects?

:confused:

Actually i want a society where the law is enforced and if you choose a different path you live with the consequences of the life choices you have made. Anything else is anarchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

He had enough time to learn how to dump a gun

Useful skill appreciated by fellow gang members

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Dead.

The **** is that.

the lad was running around with a gun...he clearly has no respect for authority in the first place..

There is a thread on Chauvin, one on the taser mix up and this one. Why the obsession on America’s police force.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

And out at 2:30am it is a horrible shocking video to watch

A lot of time to chase down someone with a gun, who otherwise could have used that gun to rob someone, or to kill someone.

I'd rather police tackled criminals, instead of just avoided doing it in case it was too dangerous for them.

So mental gymnastics it is. He could have used a gun to commit a future crime so of course we defend the cop for pre-crime enforcement?

Sorry but no. That’s unacceptable. Sure he could have used the gun to go assassinate the present of the United States thousands of miles away makes you wonder why the secret service didn’t call in a drone strike.

The ethereal possibility that he could have committed some unspecified crime in the future is not much of an excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

After looking at the body cam footage I can’t see how anyone can be surprised, I mean the cop was chasing a suspect carrying a weapon that had been discharged, as he catches up the suspect (still with the weapon in his right hand I assume, or in his belt) approaches a gap in the fence, turns raising his hands as he turns.

The cop couldn’t know that the kid had thrown the weapon behind the fence. The angle in the footage makes this obvious. So when he turned and then raises his hands he had what, a fraction of a second to react and either get shot or protect himself.

It’s tragic that the suspect was shot and killed unarmed. But. I can’t see how the cop is at fault in anyway, if the suspect had raised his hands BEFORE turning the cop would have seen no threat. Poor decisions due to panic (the suspect not the cop) led to the cop believing he had no choice other than take extra time to ensure the suspect wasn’t armed... which he couldn’t do.
    I think dissecting the cops actions (in this case) is the wrong path.

If the suspect had stopped at any point and dropped the weapon, if he had thrown the weapon before stopping, if he had hit the deck ect ect. People should be asking what a 13 year old is doing shooting bullets in an alleyway and running from law enforcement, not how he was killed unarmed. The body cam footage answers the latter pretty clearly imo.

Rip in any case, 13 years old is crazy young. Sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,687 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

There is a thread on Chauvin, one on the taser mix up and this one. Why the obsession on America’s police force.

It is an active current affairs conversation.

Many of who have contributed to those threads are living in the US.

Why don't you want to see the topics discussed?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Dead.

The **** is that.

What about before that moment? Is running from the police and leading them on a chase ignoring authority?

• Advertisement

Yakult wrote: »
    What about before that moment? Is running from the police and leading them on a chase ignoring authority?

The moment he was killed, the moment the cop decided to pull the trigger, is the moment that matters most.

The cop fired IN RESPONSE to the suspect complying with his command.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement