Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to find out what I can build and give or take how much

Options
  • 15-04-2021 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I always imagined buying a turn key house on the market.
    However recently I’ve starting toying with the idea of building. This is due to me recently being given the option that if I wanted to build that I’d be giving the land to do so.
    So I’m still not fully convinced I want to build but I would like to get an idea that if I did, I’d know for sure what kind of a house I could build.
    Do you have to get planning permission to get a tangible idea or what’s the story.
    The site is in the country but there are quite a number of houses in the area still.
    Also any advice in terms of budgets/costs even like average costs/estimates
    Just toying with ye idea and trying to form a plan for the next 12/18 months before I fully commit

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

skinny90 wrote: »
    Hi all

I always imagined buying a turn key house on the market.
    However recently I’ve starting toying with the idea of building. This is due to me recently being given the option that if I wanted to build that I’d be giving the land to do so.
    So I’m still not fully convinced I want to build but I would like to get an idea that if I did, I’d know for sure what kind of a house I could build.
    Do you have to get planning permission to get a tangible idea or what’s the story.
    The site is in the country but there are quite a number of houses in the area still.
    Also any advice in terms of budgets/costs even like average costs/estimates
    Just toying with ye idea and trying to form a plan for the next 12/18 months before I fully commit

Firstly you will need to determine if the land will require a local need to build on, if so will you comply with that local need and therefore potentially get planning permission. To determine this you will find same in the local area/county development plan, however from what you have said it would be quite likely that it does. Then do you comply, are you from the area, do you have a housing need in the area, etc. you will need to give more information here for anyone to give you useful advice.

Advertisement