Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KBC exiting Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Does this make Revolut a good alternative now to KBC? Details have been scant about fees etc.

Your money will now be protected by the deposit guarantee scheme, which was an issue for many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Revolut are still not using a Irish IBAN and companies here be discriminating against foreign IBANs its hard to work with revolut and direct debits that I had with KBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭atahuapla

Anyone else have an added discount on their mortgage for using their extra current account?

I’m getting an extra 0.25% for lodging my salary into the current account so moving that prematurely means I’ll be penalised on my mortgage rate.

Looks like I’ll be with them until the very end before I can switch to AIB or BOI. (Can’t choose an online bank as they don’t do joint accounts).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I would not advise hanging on until the end. There will be a scramble at the end, some people will miss out and some may well discover that the banks are not interested in their business and may only be offered limited services as required by the EU directive. And remember if you have any issues you will not be able to go back to UB to sort it out because they will not be there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,703 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Took the plunge just now with BOI....not exactly jumping up and down with excitement but might as well get the ball rolling rather than panicking at some stage later in the year.

The application process is fairly streamlined....pretty much the same as Revolut from what I remember

Irish companies not allowing Revolut IBAN number for example when its the EU wide setup. I am trying to move all my accounts to N26/Revolut and some need a Irish IBAN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Irish Life for example, Trying to set up a monthly direct debit and they need a Irish Iban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,882 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Formal account closure notices will issue to customers from June 1 on a phased basis, a process that will continue until all customers have been contacted. Upon receipt of the closure notices, customers will have 90 days to close their account.

• Advertisement

That seems earlier than initially expected (?)

Or was that just wishful thinking on my behalf?

Have my BOI account set up and ready to go.....just need to go thru the pain now of moving a ton of DDs etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

I wonder what will happen to the 0.2% mortgage discount KBC customers currently have if they have a Current account and Mortgage with the bank. Will that disappear once we are forced to close our current accounts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Good question, hopefully we'll find out soon when the mortgage transfer details are announced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭raxy

I read somewhere that the BOI will be keeping the reduced rate but there will be no need to have a BOI account for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Was in with my local CU at the weekend, ready to switch to them. 4 euro a month and always decent service. I am loath to go with a traditional Irish bank, I just don't think they provide good value to customers.

Wanted to go with Revolut but they're just not quite there yet for a full current account, through no fault of theirs, with the IBAN fiasco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭irishgeo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Bit of a shock this, I thought (hoped ) they'd give 6 months , I got an email last week mentioned letters coming out in June, nothing about 90 days and also mentioning subject to approval of the BOI deal 😳

I'm all set up and have opened accounts elsewhere though, just a small few things to complete before closure of KBC.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,044 ✭✭✭Daith

Watching this thread with interest.

I'm a KBC customer, current account and mortgage with discount from current account.

I left my PTSB account open so I can just use this. My fixed rate is up in May though. Would I be ok with just extending for another few years with KBC and hoping the BOI deal is fine? It would suit me to stick with KBC for another year at least though.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

Seems a bit premature to me to be giving 6 weeks notice that they're giving a 3 month window for customers to close their current accounts.

As far as I can see, the CCPC haven't even given their final ruling yet, which theoretically at least, could stop any transfer of business to BofI on competition grounds and certainly slow KBC's departure from Ireland.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,517 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Don't they carry over your DD's when you setup a new bank account and are closing an old one? Thought it was a requirement in the banking industry now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,044 ✭✭✭Daith

Aren't BOI just taking over the mortgages though? KBC don't need any say so to stop standard banking?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Apparently not in cases were the bank is actually closing down and in any case I would not rely on it. If anything goes wrong, you won't be able to go back to UB to get it fixed.

In theory yes but in my recent experience it's not 100% reliable (when changing from UB to KBC a couple of years ago 😡)

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭foxsake

was just gonna post this.

I'd problem getting paid due to this - hit them with the same link and they coughed up quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Daisy03

Who are people moving their current accounts to? Based on fees I am between PTSB and BOI. They have same fees roughly (6 euro per month) but PTSB offer a reduction in fees up to 5 euro when you use your card.

Any experiences on what app is better?

I rang a mortgage broker today as I wasnt sure whether to begin moving it now or after mortgage is moved to BOI. I think I am going to start the ball rolling on that now as its a good time to do a review on who is the best mortgage provider. KBC had the most competitive interest rate when I bought the house but its been over 4 years at this point.

I opened a an post smart account , €5 per month, quite a good app and facility to lodge cash and cheques at post offices. Customer service is utterly dreadful , 6 days to respond to an email , but in fairness, shouldn't need customer service much. Credit Union is another option, €4 per month and facility to lodge cheques, cash at credit union office.

For online, I have N26, basic account, virtual card and completely free.

I pay my mortgage by standing order so set that up easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Daisy03

Is your mortgage with KBC? Are you leaving it go to BOI?

If its me your asking, my mortgage is not with KBC , just had a current account 😏

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I'm thinking about EBS, free account as long as you limit yourself to 5 monthly ATM transactions, cashback is free as well, just need to find a decent credit card provider now, one that has Google pay would be handy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,598 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

For anyone working in the public service do you know if they have any issues paying wages into N26? My previous job were a big no no to non Irish IBAN's

Really not interested in moving to any banks in Ireland, at least with KBC it was cheap maintenance charges, even the cheap EBS don't offer Google Pay as far as I know which while I don't use often is still handy if I forget my card

Advertisement