Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KBC exiting Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭derekbro

I had a credit card and got a letter about setting up the new BOI credit card with the BOI app to work with it. The details were in the letter and I have it working. Don't have a BOI current account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭tnegun

I had only a CC with KBC and it took two calls to get the app setup last week the first took 30mins with the agent telling me it wasn't possible despite me having a letter saying I could do it, they claimed it was wrong so I gave up and called back the next agent had the app working in 5 minutes!! I had similar problems activating the card itself wasted 30mins on the phone, then went to the branch and wasted more time before calling the call centre again and the agent had it sorted in 5 minutes! There seems to be 2 call centres in action their normal one and an overseas one that has been hired to assist with the move of KBC accounts. The overseas is useless very nice to speak to and tripping over themselves to help to but can't or don't know how.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Bank of Ireland have paid back every cent and substantial interest. KBC did not get a bailout.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭feargantae

Anyone know if topping up Revolut with the CC is treated as a cash advance? I know it technically is but with KBC they never charged any fees for doing it, it was handy at times! They just treated it as a normal card transaction

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

BOI just treat it as a normal purchase transaction too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

I can confirm that the BOI app works in case of CC only. Their approach is PITA, the KBC app works offline if you want to use the codes for logging into your account on desktop, the other one is shouting for internet all the time.

The other thing should be wary of android version on your phone. As a fan of older phones, my version is not always up to date. While KBC is happy with android 7, BOI needs no. 8, there is a BOI app which shows in the play store for older OS but it's obsolete, won't work.

It's a stupid way of forcing you to use a newer phone. They should have a warning or a notification that you need Oreo, Nougat is no good anymore.

All in all, life is a great director, I left BOI 10 years ago because they've lost their love for their customers, now back to square one again! And I had a UB account too. Major headache to reshuffle my banking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I got a letter the other day about my regular saver moving to BOI. It told me I need to set up a new DD. It also said I could do it straight away but in the next paragraph told me I won’t get my BOI account number till after the 23 Feb (I think, don’t have letter in hand atm)

how can we set it up without account number. Unless I missed something in the letter it didn’t say how

I had a quick look, Seve: you can put down your KBC account onto the form before transfer date or you'll have your new number by 23rd. Transfer will happen between 17-20th Feb.

EDIT: the blackout is going to happen from 17th 3pm til' 20th 9am for savings accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Will savings account automatically show up in the BOI app?

My credit card automatically appeared in my BOI app, but my savings accounts haven't shown up yet.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,044 ✭✭✭Daith

Would my direct debit date with BOI for my mortgage be the same date as KBC? So far they seem later than KBC.

• Advertisement

No, BOI is playing a dumb game. Savings won't show automatically, you need to request them to add those to your account.

But there is a catch: you have to put in your account number and it's not enough, then select what type if savings product it is, if it doesn't match, you are refused and start again the guessing game.

They have p1ssed me off already with this.

After the s.a. has been added, I can see the balance but it's greyed out, can't do a thing.

Time to move banks again, I had left them 10 years ago, they have not improved a bit, I can tell you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Fishy1

Is it still necessary to actually go into one of the KBC Hubs to close any remaining current accounts or can it be done via the app? Most Hubs are closing next Friday, 10th March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭mct1

@Fishy1 There's no facility to close via the app. No hub near me anyway so apparently we've to write a letter.

@padyjoe BOI tell me the s.a. greyed outness should be fixed for anyone who also has a current account by 15 March. Meanwhile you can ring to request a transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭raxy

They updated the app before with an option to close but that's gone now. You don't need to close your C/A. If you just leave it empty they will close it after the deadline automatically. That's what I'm going to do.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

If they can't clearly identify you then it would be a breach of GPDR to do anything other than to require you to actively participate in making the link. Would you be happy if they accidentally linked you account to some relation or someone with the same name????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,280 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

You have to call PTSB to authorize a card in Google Pay, my girlfriend is having a lot of grief trying to move bank and their app is so far behind in technology, it's amazing how they haven't improved much if at all since we left then 3 years ago. Surprised KBC's app didn't make other banks actually get the finger out and improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,044 ✭✭✭Daith

KBC departing means the three main banks have even less of a reason to change.

Revolut is the only at the moment that is even close to frightening them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Agree. I was with PTSB for just a month. That's right, a month was how long I could stay with them as everything is backwards with them. Call to add a card to Google Wallet, no finger print on login, they also did a mistake with by booking time - emailed me with a wrong date and when I showed up, even though they admitted, they couldn't help me at that time I have got the time booked for. Maybe I wasn't lucky, but the service is definitely isn't worth 6 Euro a month. BOI is slightly better. I like AIB, however, they should improve their app and reduce the charges. I absolutely loved KBC: long customer service opening hours comparing to the lazy Irish banks, very accurate customer service (maybe good training is being provided), branches were open for longer hours than the lazy Irish banks', app was great... EBS and Revolut/N26 is what I would recommend to people now to avoid charges. EBS is crap, but free, so instantly expectations are low which. Their strong side is that a customer service is quick to answer and very good providing any information. A bit slow, extremely outdated, but free. Irish banks who charge for a current account should definitely invest more into IT and close some branches, the remaining branches should work longer hours, staff could do shifts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

Do any of the other Irish banks have fingerprint/ Face ID on their apps? It was handy on the KBC app, but not a deal breaker.

I went with PTSB for both current account and mortgage. It's obviously not as good as KBC, but I don't think it's terrible either.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

Both AnPost and BOI have fingerprink unlock, at least on their android apps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

An Post, AIB, BOI and Avant has it. The only one PTSB from the Irish banks doesn't. And, obviously, EBS, who doesn't even have an actual app to use online banking. I think you should try other European banks to compare and see how Irish banks (and not just that, but also many other things in Ireland, such as, education, health systems, infrastructure, public transport, plastic deposit scheme etc etc, are so behind!).

Didn't AIB or BOI try close more branches & there was uproar & they back tracked!

Yup, nimbys are everywhere. People still using cheques and cash... What else a branch is for I have no idea. I think, the third of all the BOI and AIB branches could be easily closed. Most of things should be done online these days, including the video calls for mortgage meetings, investment etc... Cheques can be posted with a registered post or lodged at some ATMs. Don't need these costly bank branches. It's inefficient to keep that many of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,881 ✭✭✭✭zell12

We miss you KBC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone know what happens if someone tries to make a payment to the card of a now closed down account, does it bounce back to them or what happens? I was with Ulster not KBC but would imagine its the same for both

Payments are done into a bank account, not a bank card. If account is closed, the payment will bounce back into those, who paid, account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I see the option to close account us back in the app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,280 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Bank of Ireland want you to go to a branch in person to close a savings account. Honestly it's a bloody savings account with nothing in it. You can verify your identity over the phone with security questions. Why do I need to show ID in person? PTSB sent me a letter to sign and return to close my account in the past.

10-4, Monday to Friday. How are people supposed to do that?

Advertisement