Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are the Gardai not on bikes?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Before I retired I spent many years on a Garda MTB. In fact, it was doing that course that got me back on my own bike. I loved it and it was very popular with my colleagues, as in it was a desirable course to get and a desirable duty to perform.

The bikes generally aren't left idle because nobody wants to use the but as others have said here, with the best will in the world bikes are neither appropriate for adequate for every policing duty.

It's really as simple as that.

I can only talk about what I see - a police car drives through our estate once a fortnight or so, on routine checks.

Never by foot, never on bike. Always by car.

I just see it as a massive opportunity lost, to say hello to people, to integrate.

Doing this type of routine work by car just creates a sense of separateness.

Another thing - when the Gardai are doing a routine call, a police car rocking up outside someones house, the police getting out of the car & walking up to the door.... it attracts a lot of attention - whats going on here, look the police are at so and so's.

A few times we've had break-ins, and the gardai call around afterwards - I'm not saying its a big deal, but a bike would be far more discreet than having the squad car outside the house.

A related issue for me is that they are coming from a station that would be a ten minute cycle away - a journey that I would never ever consider doing by car myself, because apart from anything else the bike gets you there quicker.

Just to reiterate:
    - I am not saying they are suitable for every policing duty. What I am saying is that there are a lot of instances where they are superior to the car, for several reasons, and yet not being used.
    - In case I havent said enough times already, no i dont mean rural areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

If it wasn't already mentioned, it does appear that Gardai on bicycles are just not taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭columbus_66

I saw 3 Garda on bikes in Lucan at lunchtime, they must have be looking at this forum!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I can only talk about what I see - a police car drives through our estate once a fortnight or so, on routine checks.

yep, that's probably a scenario where a garda on a bike makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,530 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

07Lapierre wrote: »
    AFAIK the cars are hired, not purchased.

Leased

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

@OP, try asking on the 'Emergency Services' forum ? ( https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1023 )

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Tombo2001 wrote: »

I just see it as a massive opportunity lost, to say hello to people, to integrate.

Doing this type of routine work by car just creates a sense of separateness.

Another thing - when the Gardai are doing a routine call, a police car rocking up outside someones house, the police getting out of the car & walking up to the door.... it attracts a lot of attention - whats going on here, look the police are at so and so's.

A few times we've had break-ins, and the gardai call around afterwards - I'm not saying its a big deal, but a bike would be far more discreet than having the squad car outside the house.

A related issue for me is that they are coming from a station that would be a ten minute cycle away - a journey that I would never ever consider doing by car myself, because apart from anything else the bike gets you there quicker.

Just to reiterate:
    - I am not saying they are suitable for every policing duty. What I am saying is that there are a lot of instances where they are superior to the car, for several reasons, and yet not being used.
    - In case I havent said enough times already, no i dont mean rural areas.

All valid points. Don't get me wrong, I'm not dismissing or trying to disprove the legitimate question you asked, I am merely answering it as best as I can (from memory at this stage!)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,034 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

AGS already have a decent fleet of bikes and spend a fair old whack on gear for cyclists too.

I've seen them in the city centre and at large crowd events. It must be 10 years or more since I've seen them around the burbs.

Every city station should have one cycling officer out on every daytime shift. As well as the community benefits, it would improve Garda perspectives and understanding of the challenges of safe cycling.

Ability to ride should be a mandatory criteria for recruitment campaigns.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

It might not be bikes thats the problem but the guards themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

They're way too busy at the motorway checkpoints again, causing huge stress and traffic for those working trying to get home after a long days work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭cletus

They're way too busy at the motorway checkpoints again, causing huge stress and traffic for those working trying to get home after a long days work.

In fairness, it's not like that gardai at those checkpoints either chose to be there, or decided themselves to set them up.

They're just out doing a job

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

fixXxer wrote: »
    It might not be bikes thats the problem but the guards themselves.

They should have deployed stinger

Eamonnator wrote: »

It's a ****e situation to be in for that Garda. I've had similar situations, insofar as your dealing with a kid like that, and they don't care about the punishments you can hand out, and they know that you can't give them a punishment that they might care about.

Basically it boils down to them saying "**** you, now what are you going to do about it"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

cletus wrote: »
    It's a ****e situation to be in for that Garda. I've had similar situations, insofar as your dealing with a kid like that, and they don't care about the punishments you can hand out, and they know that you can't give them a punishment that they might care about.

Basically it boils down to them saying "**** you, now what are you going to do about it"

I know, he was on a loser, no matter what he did, however, I fail to see how the Garda was the problem.

I know, he was on a loser, no matter what he did, however, I fail to see how the Garda was the problem.

Probably for the same reason that they're out deliberately holding up poor folks who just want to go home...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,170 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

cletus wrote: »
    Probably for the same reason that they're out deliberately holding up poor folks who just want to go home...

What are the motorway checkpoints checking for ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

breezy1985 wrote: »

I live near the one that is near the end of the M50 (southside). Seems to be tax/insurance/NCT plus a general roadside chat all under the Covid Regs. Weird it was reinstalled again this week, but the Gardai were only stopping one in 100. Better putting an ANPR camera over each lane and just fining people for tax/NCT/Insurance fails but it did stop people bombing through that merge section before Bray at 160kmph

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Some rentals never will go back.

I'm pretty sure they bought them all

I've absolutely no idea. I still stand by my earlier comment

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Your journey, where from and to....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Ridiculous thread. Garda are on foot, on bikes, in big cars, small cars, rapid response high powered cars/suvs, helicopters, vans.....You'd swear this was the entire garda transport fleet in the video. A friend of mine is in city centre on a mountain bike every day.

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    Ridiculous thread. Garda are on foot, on bikes, in big cars, small cars, rapid response high powered cars/suvs, helicopters, vans.....You'd swear this was the entire garda transport fleet in the video. A friend of mine is in city centre on a mountain bike every day.

How many of your Garda friends are on bikes in the suburbs every day?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Etc

I don't think you'd be happy with the answer no matter what it was.

There's bikes in my local park most days when they have the manpower.

Most stations won't have additional manpower beyond the car crew which is responding to calls. Then there's the lack of training and equipment for the bikes.

There's two bikes in my station and a waiting list of people looking to do the course (yes I know, so you really need a course). Think they have flats at this stage.

There's two bikes in my station and a waiting list of people looking to do the course (yes I know, so you really need a course). Think they have flats at this stage.

Does The Course cover fixing punctures ?

:)

( who started this dumb thread anyway ? )

0lddog wrote: »
    Does The Course cover fixing punctures ?

:)

( who started this dumb thread anyway ? )

Not being elite enough to have done it, I couldn't say.

Not being elite enough to have done it, I couldn't say.
    :D
    Shall ask Policeman Fox next time I'm talking to him

There's bikes in my local park most days when they have the manpower.

Most stations won't have additional manpower beyond the car crew which is responding to calls. Then there's the lack of training and equipment for the bikes.

Why would the bikes be limited to or focused on the park? Are they afraid to ride in normal traffic?

It sounds like a deliberate policy to let them rust away, putting cycling at the bottom of the list, only to be done when all other slots have been covered.

Why would the bikes be limited to or focused on the park? Are they afraid to ride in normal traffic?

It sounds like a deliberate policy to let them rust away, putting cycling at the bottom of the list, only to be done when all other slots have been covered.
    Etc wrote: »
    I don't think you'd be happy with the answer no matter what it was.

**** me. He was right, you wouldn't be happy with any answer.

You are complaining about the scenario where bikes are being used because they aren't also bring used in place of the response car.

• Advertisement

I'm complaining about Gardai spending the best part of a million euro on bikes and bike gear, which are now left rusting away in the station unused.

551947.jpg

It has all the hallmarks of paying lip service, making it look like they're doing great things on bikes, but the reality on the ground is different.

Why are cycling patrols at the bottom of the priority list, only when all other roles are covered do the bikes get considered?

Advertisement