Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starlink - Anyone get it yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Greenpuppy

I have the first generation starlink (round dish). The past couple of days the router has been flashing white constantly but I have had no issues with connectivity and speeds have remained as usual. Has anybody experienced this before? Just wondering what potentially the cause is because I have only ever seen it as a solid white light.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,756 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Mine is doing the same (repeating bright to fade), thought something was strange when I noticed it first but everything seems fine. Could be a Christmas theme update, who knows. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks, that’s good to know! Everywhere I read was indicating flashing white light is not a good sign but Iike yourself no issues with performance since it started.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Hadn't noticed anything on mine. Just looking at it now and it's solid white.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Anyone on here game online using Starlink?

I have been with Starlink for over a year and outside of poor ping and packet loss, I experienced zero issues. The last 4 days or so however, I am experiencing frequent outright disconnects from the game Im playing (FIFA in this case)

Ive also seen a few reports on Reddit about this. The app shows no outages but whatever has happened Starlink, its now causing this frequent drops resulting in outright losing connection from a games server. Very frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,756 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

I power cycled the router and its solid white now again. Must have been a stuck update or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

I see they have also dropped the hardware cost too, down to €450 now, still pricey but certainly better

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

I got an e-mail from NBI to say that fibre might be up and running in our area in the next few months and we could sign up with service providers.

no chance i'm actually doing that until I hear of neighbours signed up and working.

question, can the starlink hardware be re-assigned to a new user or is it a sunk cost? As in, if someone else wants to get starlink, can i sell them the dish and router, etc and they can setup an account with Starlink? Or will Musky demand another €450 for a new dish and i have to junk mine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Newtown90

There is a way of transferring the equipment via Starlink support.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

Nice one, thanks.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the update. I didn’t attempt to power cycle but the issue seems to have resolved itself overnight and is back displaying a solid white light. Seems to be a glitch people are observing globally since the last global outage but does not seem to have an impact on connectivity or performance.

If anyone is selling or will be selling a Starlink system soon please send me a DM

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭yrrag1974

Wondering if anyone can help - ordered starlink on the 12th of December and absolutely no update from them since then. No estimated shipping date or tracking number on the app.

I know they are saying 4-6 weeks delivery at the moment but we’re nearly at 2 months now.

Anyone know anyway I can contact them to see what’s going on with my order?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

sign in to your account ( on desktop , NOT app ) , and go to support. raise a ticket. and they will get back quite quickly. If youve no luck in a few days let us know and i will see what i can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 kerrymayo23

I've just ordered Starlink in Mayo - renting hardware. Can anyone advise me on current delivery times?

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Bus Boy

Ordered Starlink on Friday the 3rd of March for our house in the west but chose delivery to our Dublin address. Box arrived in 5 days.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 24 kerrymayo23

Brilliant. Thanks Bus Boy. I'll wait for Starlink. Ive tried vodafone mobile broadband (almost nothing) and Eir mobile broadband (fluctuates 1-23 mbps). I was considering rural or regional mobile broadband where they install an antenna on your house but wary of a 1-2 year contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭social butterfly 2020

Won't go wrong with starlink. I had three 5g broadband. Video calls for work kept dropping. No issues with starlink. Use it for gaming and streaming also. Its a game changer for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Messer1

Starlink is now offering antenna rental in Ireland at €17/month as an alternative to outright purchase for €450.

Post edited by Messer1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Not a bad option for anyone who will have a less than a 24 month wait for NBP, I am in for October-December 2023 myself so I think i'll just about manage to hold on. Presumably if anything happens like lightning etc. Starlink will just send out new gear also, wheras if you bought it and it went faulty you were out of pocket.

• Advertisement

Are the speed and ping still consistently good?

What are ye getting on average and at peak times?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭pms7

Don't have it but I check when installing. 230-250 Mbps, 23-30ms

Just did three speedtests one after another ... Sunday evening 21:15-ish ... I'm fine with the download speed, but I used to get 20-30Mbps on the upload.

Here it is at 01:00 ... that top test went over 300 just before dropping back at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Messer1

More Starlink price changes: Rent hardware for €15/mo (down from €17) or purchase for €300 (down from €450) with monthly service for €85/mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭pms7

Saw somewhere that someone got an email saying €75/m so maybe thats on the way too, would be really competitive then

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Banzai600

@ OP , just coming in on the end of the thread....

75 / 85 per month with hardware rental is no better on price really than virgin or eir - or am i missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,719 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Its a great price.................................

When you have no other option. Point its you can get this anywhere that you have access to the sky ;-)

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Banzai600

yeah, i had figured where this country fails due to inept policies like countrywide broadband to places outside of cities, ppl in non broadband can avail of it - which is great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I got that email quoting me it for €75 plus €17/equipment rental. Thing is NBI are all over my Deployment Area and I'm down for October to December 2023 - which I'm conservatively guessing might have slippage so I'm heavily debating about it. But I think I'll nearly hold on until NBI comes.

Advertisement