Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starlink - Anyone get it yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ilovespudss

Aye, I'm not worried about plugging in the colour coded cables, it's more the attaching an expensive piece of kit to my gable wall thats not going to come crashing down the minute the wind picks up.

Ground mounted not really a viable permanent solution

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Do birds sitting on the dish impact it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Have you seen that? Don't see how they can because there is nothing to for them to grip onto.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Depends on how the dish aligns, but I assume birds would sit/perch on it.

Does look a bit like a bird feeder though when its pointing straight up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Eleusis

Anyone got this yet that ordered after the 10th of Feb?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 StephenCork

Ordered on Feb 28th and nothing yet. Great to see this group active however so there's some sort of timeline indication.

Was reading a thread over on Starlink subreddit. Posted some really good speeds for Ireland. Main thing I spotted though was they reported about 24hrs later that the quality completely deteriorated with constant disconnects and outages.

Sounds like it lasted for about a day. So not sure if it was a technical error or current state of play.

Reddit Link to thread [you need to read through the comments] - https://www.reddit.com/r/Starlink/comments/oqwkrg/starlink_in_ireland_51865/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Think you have the wrong link, not how I read it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Mines just arrived. It was due last Wednesday, but I was away. It would have been fine weather to get it installed too, unlike now, where it’s absolutely lashing down.

• Advertisement

No correct thread, Id advise open Reddit in the old.reddit.com format as their newer version is awful. I screenshot the comments around the drop outs.

Hmmm not exactly 24 hours great speeds followed by quality deteriorating.

But if all you are interested in are failure stories I'm sure you will find them. We have on right here.

Well ignorance is bliss until you're paying 500 quid + 99 a month.

Anyways daft comment aside, its important to hear about the bad as much as the good. Obviously some brilliant speeds reported which gives cause for optimism but the long drop outs show there is still reason for some hesitation in these early stages.

But there is no evidence to support your implication that Starlink are prioritising new customers for the first 24 hours of use.

Main thing I spotted though was they reported about 24hrs later that the quality completely deteriorated with constant disconnects and outages.

Or were you trying to say something else?

No idea where you got the "they are prioritising new customers" thing.

I'm calling out that some folk reported really good speeds but they then lost all connection for about 24 hours. I even said in the same post that I'm not sure if it was just a technical fault or current state of play.

It's good to hear both good and bad stories to get perspective. Anyways read through the thread on reddit, youl get a much better idea. I think you picked me up wrong originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭kennyt

yeah, doesn't seem to like TuneIns Irish radio stations. bit of a shame as would play them on Sonos in the kitchen. Anyone know a way around it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

What is your IP then? Is it Irish at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

If not , you probably need Irish VPN.

What about Netflix btw? Is it Irish Netflix, British or American?

same for Amazon Prime Video, RTE player etc ?

Post edited by alec76 on

• Registered Users Posts: 29 wikily

Got mine 3 weeks ago. Cork. Ping 30 to 50. Down AVG 180, peak 310. Up AVG 50. Was getting 15 mbs. Wired.

Only outages have been waiting for next satellite.... A minute at Most.

Bye bye DSL. NBI supposed to be here Dec, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

• Moderators Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭Spocker

Is the mounting bracket the Starlink one, or just a regular aerial one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Do you mind me asking what part of Cork? I'm close to Coachford and have the preorder in since Feb with no sign yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Eleusis

I have been searching the internet on this. Seems it has not much to do with a queue or when you ordered at all. Im in Midwest and ordered Feb 12( On 1.75mb down with random high ping)Yet some people in Midwest ordered in may and have received it. Lower end country the same. Some ordered Feb and didn't get and some ordered just weeks ago and got it. No idea how they decide who gets it but at the moment but it can't queue based.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Romer

I did a little clicking about yesterday. Entered random addresses from Cork City and Midleton and got the "Mid to Late 2021" message. But then tried several really rural ones down by the coasts and those seemed to bring me to a full purchase screen.

Normal satellite one 25eu in Dwyer's cork. Used a pvc 32mm straight union. Drilled hole for the clickers ant ut kinda fit like a glove after applying heat gun to soften pvc.

Anyone around Galway/Mayo area got it yet? If it ever did come to pass with the monthly cost dropping to ~60 / government subsidy while we wait on the Fibre rollout, Id jump on board at this stage.

Im still curious to know if birds sitting on the dish impact it at all?

What are the timeouts like currently? Saw reports on reddit of large/repeated dropouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ribyqu345

The supermarket is the place where you can get almost all the possible things that you required under one roof.

https://customerfeedback.onl/schnucks-pleaserateus-com/

Dropouts are maybe 1 minute max... Waiting for next satellite.... But I really haven't noticed, after 2 weeks. New app gives uptime... 72 hrs without break... In dishy Comms to sats.

Not sure if a bird would sit, it generally slants a bit, and very smooth flat surface. Birdcrap might be an issue after they eat all the blackberries....

Just cancelled Vodafone there... Very painless, but would go back to them first if fibre arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

im planning for Starlink in a rural area and have a few questions please:

• downloaded the Starlink app (IOS) and when checking for obstructions i sweep the phone across the sky and the app swallows up the green dots as i go. however the app sticks on "processing" and never reveals the results. am i missing something?
    • Im in the NBI intervention area, and dont see a service here for a 2 years....is it easy to cancel when NBI arrives?
    • upon cancelling, i take it i own the equipment so perhaps sell it on to somebody else who can reuse it / re-register it?
    • its it unlimited downloads? any capped limits? throttling ?

Thanks for helping.

• Advertisement

Don't have iOS. I suggest roof... I've a pic above. That mount shows no obstructions, but no trees close to house anyway.

Monthly, with no contract so I assume I can cancel anytime. Still in beta.

Not sure about reregistering. Beta are geolocked... I believe anecdotally within 30km... I really think you need to assume you absorb the cost, as it's a beta dish running 90watts, so I expect they'll develop a more eco dish in the future.

On beta, no limits or throttling. As more users come on, then throttling to 100 could probably be expected, and maybe more economical price plans for 50mbs if good enough for you.

All my subjective view, as it's beta. If NBI doesn't get to you for 2 years, I'd say you'll justify the investment no problem.

Good luck.

Advertisement