Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starlink - Anyone get it yet?

Options
1394041424345»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

Maybe a bit late and answering a slightly different question, but I believe relevant anyway.

I have sky Q (not Sky glass) , had recording issues when using 4G broadband. After I moved to Starlink, no more problems. Hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Thx... starlink and sky glass have both arrived... I'll be setting up on the weekend. Hopefully all will work seamlessly!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭micks_address

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭CivilEx

I have had Sky Q for years (and years) and had zero issues with it since I moved to Starlink last year, but I'm contemplating a move to sky glass as the Sky dish is near its end of days. Let us know how the new setup goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Stewball

How does SkyQ and Starlink perform together? Mainly the multiscreen.

I'm still using the old Sky+HD boxes. I never upgraded because of the poor internet service in my area.

If Starlink was down would Sky also not work then?

• Advertisement

SkyQ and Starlink work great for me where I have a "main" Sky Q box and two mini boxes (multiscreen). My Starlink router is with the rest of the hardware (dish etc.) out in my garage and it connects then via an ethernet cable to a tp-link switch in the house and the Sky Q box is connected via ethernet directly to this too.

I then have a Deco Mesh system around the house where each multiscreen mini box is connected via an ethernet cable to an M5 mesh access point (I have turned off wireless access in the Sky boxes so that there is only one WIFI network in the house). The whole system is self contained allocating local IP addresses from the Deco to allow the Sky boxes to communicate with each other.

AFAIK Sky will work without the internet, but since installation of Starlink 15 months ago, I don't think it has ever had to because the only time time Starlink goes down is around 3am when router / dish firmware upgrades get installed and it all reboots automatically. Before I installed Starlink I ran it all off a Three 4G router in the same configuration.

The reason I'm considering Sky Stream is because the system "just works" and my existing Sky dish is nearing EOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭pms7

I have a similar setup done in a house. However the sky mini buffers sometimes. Main Sky box wired to mesh which is wired to main mesh. Mini wired to mesh which is wireless and has full reception. It all seems fine when I am there. All sky WiFi turned off.

Any ideas?

Thanks

On my own mesh I can check each deco unit to see if it's connecting via 2.4GHz or 5GHz. If it's at 2.4 it's a sign (to me anyway) that it's not getting a strong signal. I have then moved the mesh units slightly, let them settle for a few hours and then check again. If you are getting intermittent buffering, to me it's a sign of the signal strength of the mesh not being strong enough or periodic interference from another device?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭pms7

Yes, using Tenda, that feature not there. However showing full signal and single block wall in between. From using these before and the speed available from it, connection isn't an issue. I suppose I should run a cable to it temporarily to see if that solves it. Was also thinging of going back to the wifi setup Sky had working, which was fine all along, except when I added the mesh, the sky wifi seemed to cause bad interference with the mesh even causing packet loss.

Advertisement