Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starlink - Anyone get it yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Messer1

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dingledosser

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Does the starlink app work for anyone? Just stays at 100% processing

Yeah did the same here. 100% means 100% free from obstruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭pauly58

How are your's being delivered guys ? We were told by DHL it was on the van for delivery today, at 17.45 a text came in delivery attempted, it wasn't, & it has been passed to our partners !!

It flew through the states & Leipzig, hit Ireland & the usual courier cock up.

Can't contact DHL so I don't know what is happening now.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't stress. We get that all the time when the driver is too lazy to come out this far. We usually get it the next morning.

So the first few hours have been a bit rocky. I had Zoom calls for work for most of the afternoon and early evening, and had regular 15 second freezes. I'm hoping it settles down. It says it takes 12 hours to build the obstruction map, so maybe it gets better after that. So far... great for browsing and streaming, but very poor for Zoom calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭pauly58

Was it DHL that delivered your dingledosser, it now says ours has been passed to a third party, it doesn't say who.

DHL, yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,530 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

An Post maybe, they have a delivery agreement with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

My order still says pending, hopefully it ships in the next day or so.

Just checked my location, NE Co Limerick (near Tipperary border) full payment due now if I choose to order. Won't be taking up the offer but nice to know it's available for the future.

For those that installed the dish at a Chimney, had you any concern about damage from having a fire on? Was chatting with an installer there and he was thinking having it near the chimney could be a bad idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Messer1

My antenna is beside a chimney which is not being used. I wouldn't light a fire with it there - smoke could jam up the twisting mechanism to say nothing about the heat.

Would also agree, I would never mount a satellite dish of any sort near an active chimney, corrosive soot; wide variations in temperature especially during winter months; wind loading on the chimney structure especially mounting brackets that are secured using rawl bolts, I don't like the idea of drilling into the chimney structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

How else would you install it? I had planned on mounting on the chimney but was nervous about the crazy strong winds we occasionally get

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

I would imagine it’s the same as most satellite dishes and at the gable but of course would need to be high enough to just peak over the apex of the roof.

As mentioned above if an unused chimney then that os ideal

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭j_mo

Has most people who got their invites last week received a shipping notification yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Mine purchased last week but hasn't shipped yet @j_mo . Am curious - should I be installing this on the south facing or north facing side of the house? I had planned to install at chimney but that sounds like a bad idea!

Two lads I know who ordered same time as me have still to receive theirs. I got mine very quick but I didn't order the wall mount while they both did.

For now my dish is in a small back lawn and it points south. Getting good speeds 160- 245 usually. Upload 25-30.

Ping is a high for my liking, 50 -60ms but was expected. Most frustrating thing for now is the dropouts every 20 minutes or so but I havent it mounted at all yet and it is obstructed by part of the house. Need to get the installer out and hopefully no issues to where I want it.

One other thing is the router is very weak. Speeds drop over wifi as soon as I go upstairs but again something il sort once everything is installed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

just got the shipping notice 20 mins ago.

left long beach on route to shannon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

What are the downsides of starlink atm and which direction should the dish be facing?

Note. the array will take over 12 hours to calibrate so things wont settle if your moving the dish around. any relocation, no matter how small or change in placement height will cause a recalibration.

If you unplug the dish for 20 mins, the IP lease expires and renews when repowered.

Stowing forces the dish to rescan the sky for better optimum angle. A reboot will skip that step to make the process faster.

Lastly, its a common misconception that theres a heater in the dish. there isnt.

Needs to face south.

Downsides for me so far is the hassle of getting installed. Its all good and well lads saying on here it's easy but if you want it up a roof and wired in through the house its only easy if you know how.

Even speaking with some installers they aren't too certain.

The outages for me currently I can't say for certain as I literally have it left on the tripod stand in the lawn. But currently they disconnect every 20 minutes or so but only brief.

Pings are very high compared to even vdsl. Lowest ive had is 45ms up to 100ms.

The price is still the main pain point for me. 100 euro a month sub is too much and hard justify for most.

From the Starlink FAQ

Note that Starlink will typically point north in the northern hemisphere & south in the southern hemisphere.

From the FCC

SpaceX will turn off the transmit beam on the satellite and user terminal whenever the angle between the boresight of a GSO earth station (assumed to be collocated with the SpaceX user) and the direction of the SpaceX satellite transmit beam is 22 degrees or less.

It cannot point too far south and must avoid interference with geostationary satellite transmissions who operate in the same frequency range.

Post edited by The Cush on

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Skol

Installed mine last night. Bought the pole mount adapter which is mounted in the back of the house wall. Seems pretty stable, given the weight of the dish and the adapter. We'll see when the next storm hits!

Great speeds between 180mbps and 300mbps. Latency around 40ms

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

I had to contact support as they couldn't verify my address so the order was never processed. They've done it manually now so just waiting for the tracking number & shipping notification.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

tsoes the dish look up towards the sky or would it be angled like a sky dish?

• Advertisement

points up to the sky, ( +- 66 deg ) not like a sky dish.

sky dish looks out to the horizon, slightly up ( 21 -27 deg)

Advertisement