Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enduro Races 2021

• 16-04-2021 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Which ones do you think are likely to go ahead this year? Ballinastoe obviously cancelled this month on the Gravity series. Next one then is Killaloe in mid-June...do you think things will "normal" enough by then?

Also, I've never taken part in one of these events before. Any suggestions for which one is a good race to start out with? Or are they all of a similar level of challenge?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Which ones do you think are likely to go ahead this year? Ballinastoe obviously cancelled this month on the Gravity series. Next one then is Killaloe in mid-June...do you think things will "normal" enough by then?

Also, I've never taken part in one of these events before. Any suggestions for which one is a good race to start out with? Or are they all of a similar level of challenge?

I can't see anything before August going ahead with any degree of certainty; July maybe but anything closer than that just seems like a roll of the dice as to whether or not it might happen. There's just so many things that can and will occur to hold the pace of recovery up across the nation (and wider world).

Looking at events here in the UK, the national DH series have postponed any races before June (so April and May are both officially postponed), the earliest event in the Scottish DH calender is June, and looking at some of the more 'grassroots' events such as the NDH series or PMBA Enduro series are not starting any racing before June (with one exception I'm not sure about regards the NDH in April, yet a second was postponed). The PMBA are only holding 3 rounds this year (June, August, September) out of what would otherwise be 6 (assuming no more get postponed) as is so they've written off half the season already.

TBH, I fully expect those events in June to face disruption if not cancellation even with the best will in the world regards pace of national recovery.

This has been a cheery Friday afternoon :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

I'd probably agree with lemming and we won't see any events this year. But in terms of difficulty I would put difficultly of the events at:

easier: Ballinastoe / Killaloe,
    harder: Carrick
    hardest: Djouce.

Djouce has the steepest consistent trails, they generally don't use the hardest trails in the enduro but if your not used to steep it may be one to avoid. Carrick has its difficult bits but nothing too bad I would say, and Ballinastoe and Killaloe are all quite approachable if you have been mountain biking a few times. Theres quite a few videos around that are worth watching just remember about the gopro effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Flagrantfolly

Cheers folks...(classic case of post on a Friday and not check again 'til Monday :D!!)

Definitely going to give a couple of them a go this year. I'd be very familiar with Balinastoe and have ridden Djouce once, Summer last year. Djouce was at the very limit of my capability back then so hopefully have improved a bit since then.

In terms of distance covered on the day in total, what would be the average? 30/40km?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

Cheers folks...(classic case of post on a Friday and not check again 'til Monday :D!!)

Definitely going to give a couple of them a go this year. I'd be very familiar with Balinastoe and have ridden Djouce once, Summer last year. Djouce was at the very limit of my capability back then so hopefully have improved a bit since then.

In terms of distance covered on the day in total, what would be the average? 30/40km?

1000-1300m of climbing, distance will depend on the location and the steepness of the climbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭prunudo

I might actually do the Ballinastoe stages this weekend for the crack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

As said, it depends, but 30/40Km is a decent average. Maybe 4/5 hours on the bike. I highly recommend them, plus the Grassroots (if they are on).

I'd agree that Djouce is probably the trickiest due to the steepness of the trails. You could get yourself in trouble there more quickly than the other locations. But physically, it's easier than it used to be - since they brought the race trails together a lot more.

Older Djouce Enduros were much more spread out and included a near-pilgrimage to Stage 5, like old Ballyhoura Stage 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Road racing returning up north from the 23rd. Rumours that it will return down south in early May. Know our club has told members this morning to take out their racing licences now in anticipation of a quick start once the go ahead is given. Possibly a weeks notice.

Carrick appears to be going ahead this weekend but I didn't get the usual email from SI Entries yet. Anyone get the email / anyone doing it? From the Gravity Enduro page it says 3 stages / Grassroots format again. Looking forward to it assuming it goes ahead. I always under prepare my gear and end up racing with a backpack on the day which is a pain, so got my bike straps out today for tubes etc and found my old bum bag - should be good to go.

How did Carrick go for you Steamsy? Looked dry and fast from the footage I saw on social media. The pace seems another level, not sure if I'll bother racing that series again. Don't feel I'd belong there anymore, just be there making up numbers.

Good! Terrible result for me though. I'm struggling to find the race pace lately. Bike is getting a lot of blame here and may be time to upgrade. Yeah the trails were mint - and it was pretty fast. Did 5 tracks overall. Stage 3 was great fun as always and I felt like I was flying but the results said otherwise. I think for sure the overall pace is way up on where it has been.

Didn't make too many mistakes but think I was too focused on consistency and not enough on just letting it go.

I'm on a 27.5 and am wondering how much benefit a 29er / mullet would be. Need to demo a few bikes.

Gravity DH club are running a DH there in a few short weeks.

• Advertisement

Good stuff, at least you were able to put your off in Djouce behind you.

I went to a 29er 160 travel bike last year thinking it would solve all my issues and help me progress. While it's a great bike I do wonder would I be better going back more trail oriented bike.

Advertisement