Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking toll roads into account

Options
  • 16-04-2021 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

How big of an issue is this for people when choosing an area to live. For the towns out the commuter belt out the n/m3 like Navan for instance, I know I would hit two tolls each way to work daily. Massive expense and one I hadn't thought about.
    PS public transport isn't an option with my hours

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its something that really has to be evaluated in an overall affordability calculation

However, if your hours don't tie with public transit, its likely that the untolled road will be quiet enough. Navan has 24h buses too, something most suburban towns don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

WhiteWalls wrote: »
    For the towns out the commuter belt out the n/m3 like Navan for instance, I know I would hit two tolls each way to work daily.
    Your anti-social hours may actually help you. For the likes of Navan, going the N2 would avoid the tolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I am only working part-time and he tolls do add up I am only using the one on the M50.

There are ways to avoid them but add to the commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

mariaalice wrote: »
    I am only working part-time and he tolls do add up I am only using the one on the M50.
    I assume you're using the tag? Although it's €1.23 a month lease cost, it's a 50cent reduction per trip versus the "video account".

M50 tolls;
    Unregistered is €3.10 per journey
    M50 Video Account is €2.60 per journey
    Tag Account is €2.10 per journey

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭wassie

Further to the post above, an electric vehicle currently qualifies for further reductions on the above via the Low Emissions Vehicle Toll Incentive. Could cut tolls by 50% or more, plus the running cost of the EV car is considerably cheaper.https://www.eflow.ie/low-emissions-vehicle-toll-incentive/

Downsides are potentially initial higher purchase cost (depending on what you buy). Also scheme only runs to end of 2022 - however I would expect some sort of incentive scheme to continue beyond that date in light if the new zero carbon targets.

Another factor is are there any long term strategic plans for the area. For example, Navan was originally to be served by the train line that finishes at the M3 Parkway. This was shelved as a result of the GFC but a lot of the preliminary design was completed. Consideration of completing this line is now starting to re-emerge as reported here: https://www.meathchronicle.ie/2021/02/05/wheels-start-rolling-on-rail-line-study/

This would have implications for not only Navan, but also Dunshaughin and possibly Ratoath for those who need to commute to the city. WFH has certainly changed how cities will work I think, but I also think commuting will still be required and rail is king when it comes to the commute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,018 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

you could try to work it into a contract of employment.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

mariaalice wrote: »

There are ways to avoid them but add to the commute.
    the_syco wrote: »
    I assume you're using the tag? Although it's €1.23 a month lease cost, it's a 50cent reduction per trip versus the "video account".

M50 tolls;
    Unregistered is €3.10 per journey
    M50 Video Account is €2.60 per journey
    Tag Account is €2.10 per journey

Less than 4 wheels on the M50 is free.

I use a motorcycle to save on the cost.

Alternatively, if the weather is an issue, this would also be toll free.

Reliant%20Robin%20(1).jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You sure about that? Fairly sure they're just cars in Ireland, not tricycles?

L1011 wrote: »
    You sure about that? Fairly sure they're just cars in Ireland, not tricycles?

They are classed as motorcycles for VRT, Motor Tax and (lack of) NCT purposes.

If any have been registered as M1 cars, then they've been registered incorrectly.

WhiteWalls wrote: »
    How big of an issue is this for people when choosing an area to live. For the towns out the commuter belt out the n/m3 like Navan for instance, I know I would hit two tolls each way to work daily. Massive expense and one I hadn't thought about.
    PS public transport isn't an option with my hours

It's as big an issue as the cost is. Earn a packet and it's insignificant. Earn buttons and it's very noticable.

Not bothered working out the N3/M3 lark, but returning just through the M50 toll on a tag is the guts of a €1k p.a. (48wks x each way x 5 day wk)

I work shifts and it's one I've thought about (see above), I'd rather use a toll-busting set of wheels than detour round it (rush to get in / just want to get home). Also saves the pain of those night closures they forget to mention until it's too late to avoid. I also rather my €1k on other stuff, even if they are only other robbers.

It's just one of the factors in commuting along with distance and time. Some places may be closer to the main fast roads, even if slightly further away and thus are quicker to get from A-B. Ten mins extra each way all adds up over the year.

Everyone's tolerance level is different. I'm on 35-40 mins each way, but I'd say my limit would be 1 hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Navy blue

I travel through a toll every day, so that's two tolls per day over a 4 day week, roughly €730 per annum. It wouldn't add a huge amount of time for me to avoid the toll, maybe 15 minutes each way but like the previous poster said, I couldn't be bothered leaving the house earlier or being later home.

I just include it with the expense of running a car, diesel, servicing, tax etc. It really only works out as being the cost of a coffee a day and I gladly pay it for convenience and time saved. Commuting is an expensive business, but I wouldn't discount living somewhere because of €20 odd quid a week unless I was really pinned to my collar financially.

Advertisement