Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clinivet dog food alternative

• 17-04-2021 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Can anyone suggest a cheaper alternative to clinivet dog food.

On our goldendoodles previous trip to the groomers we were told his coat was not as soft as it should be and to change to this dog food. His coat has gotten softer as a result.

Can anyone suggest a cheaper alternative to this food as its quiet expensive.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭nsnoefc1878

Can anyone suggest a cheaper alternative to clinivet dog food.

On our goldendoodles previous trip to the groomers we were told his coat was not as soft as it should be and to change to this dog food. His coat has gotten softer as a result.

Can anyone suggest a cheaper alternative to this food as its quiet expensive.

Thanks

How does the groomer quantify softness? In any kind of scientific way? To be honest, someone saying that sounds like nonsense to me, and I'd struggle to hold in the laughter if they said it to me. Did they happen to be selling this good by any chance?
    A million factors go into the softness or condition of your dogs hair, that a groomer couldn't possibly have the knowledge to even consider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

How does the groomer quantify softness? In any kind of scientific way? To be honest, someone saying that sounds like nonsense to me, and I'd struggle to hold in the laughter if they said it to me. Did they happen to be selling this good by any chance?
    A million factors go into the softness or condition of your dogs hair, that a groomer couldn't possibly have the knowledge to even consider.

What are the million factors?

tk123 wrote: »
    What are the million factors?

Are suggesting the are not many factors that go into this?
    Genetics, age, diet, weather, humidity, gender, breed, living environment, allergies, bedding, if the dog regularly swims in fresh or salt water etc
    If a groomer states a dogs hair is not soft enough, than they should be able to quantify that or they are making unqualified, unscientific nonsense statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Designer cross breeds have no set coat type. They can inherit their coat from either parent or it can be anything inbetween. If your dog is not neutered their coat will be coarser than if they are neutered. There are foods which are specifically formulated (supposedly) to promote healthy skin and coat. I’ve never found them to make a difference. Choose a food that suits your budget and maybe add in some salmon oil or oily fish a few times a week.

Are suggesting the are not many factors that go into this?
    Genetics, age, diet, weather, humidity, gender, breed, living environment, allergies, bedding, if the dog regularly swims in fresh or salt water etc
    If a groomer states a dogs hair is not soft enough, than they should be able to quantify that or they are making unqualified, unscientific nonsense statements.

No I’m not suggesting that at all. I was just wondering what your factors were as your post came across as nonsense as you put it.. I think a groomer is more than qualified to tell if dog’s coat is in poor condition tbh... by using their hands - they don’t need to scientifically quantify their findings. The dogs coat has improved with a change in diet at the suggested (I assume based on their experience) also so they were correct.

OP maybe if you mentioned what were you feeding before and your budget people could suggest different foods? I’ve no experience with dry food myself as I don’t feed it

• Advertisement

tk123 wrote: »
    No I’m not suggesting that at all. I was just wondering what your factors were as your post came across as nonsense as you put it.. I think a groomer is more than qualified to tell if dog’s coat is in poor condition tbh... by using their hands - they don’t need to scientifically quantify their findings. The dogs coat has improved with a change in diet at the suggested (I assume based on their experience) also so they were correct.

OP maybe if you mentioned what were you feeding before and your budget people could suggest different foods? I’ve no experience with dry food myself as I don’t feed it

So someone's entirely subjective opinion on the condition of the dogs coat is above a scientific and quantifiable basis for the condition of the same coat?
    I've heard it all now. The only person talking nonsense here is you, and the groomer.
    Vast majority of groomers have no formal qualifications in dog biology, dog nutrition or any other dog related scientific or medical area.
    They are only qualified to give their opinion on the dog's coat, nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

I've heard it all now. The only person talking nonsense here is you, and the groomer.
    Vast majority of groomers have no formal qualifications in dog biology, dog nutrition or any other dog related scientific or medical area.
    They are only qualified to give their opinion on the dog's coat, nothing else.

I know an awful lot of groomers. Many are very highly qualified with all aspects of dog care, breeding etc & compete with their dogs at the highest levels in Europe.
    Like anything else you will get the chancers but it is actually your post that is nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Clinivet is one of the cheaper good quality foods.
    Could you maybe bulk buy to reduce the cost?

Knine wrote: »
    I know an awful lot of groomers. Many are very highly qualified with all aspects of dog care, breeding etc & compete with their dogs at the highest levels in Europe.
    Like anything else you will get the chancers but it is actually your post that is nonsense.

Another one who doesnt understand the difference between someone's subjective opinion and fact based reasoning.

Another one who doesnt understand the difference between someone's subjective opinion and fact based reasoning.

Another poster who does not understand the meaning of 'Rude'

• Advertisement

Another poster who does not understand the meaning of 'Rude'

You called my post nonsense, so you are well placed to judge rudeness.

You called my post nonsense, so you are well placed to judge rudeness.

It is my fact based reasoning!

It is my fact based reasoning!

Again ,it is your opinion. You need to address that confusion.

Maybe a mod can clear up what qualification we need to offer advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

nsnoefc1878, you are within a hairs breadth of being permanently banned from this forum. You are now just trolling random posters.

Advertisement