Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grass clippings disposal

Options
  • 17-04-2021 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering which bin grass clippings should be put put in.

Recently moved house and no longer compost heap.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

Double check your bin provider's website, but most accept them in the brown bin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

jellybear wrote: »
    Double check your bin provider's website, but most accept them in the brown bin :)

By drown bin do you mean the general waste bin. Our bins are black and blue!!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭lucalux

By drown bin do you mean the general waste bin. Our bins are black and blue!!

Thanks

Black bin (general waste bin) if you don't have a brown bin

Not in with the recycling anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭POBox19

Compost bin with food waste. Colour depends on location.
    Check with your local authority as they may have a facility where you can bring your clippings for composting along with other recycling. Probably cheaper too as grass is mostly water and would make your compost bin collection expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭lucalux

POBox19 wrote: »
    Check with your local authority as they may have a facility where you can bring your clippings for composting along with other recycling. Probably cheaper too as grass is mostly water and would make your compost bin collection expensive.

Good point on bringing to a local authority if they have that option available, but OP doesn't have a compost bin.
    Lots of people don't have this option yet. Just general waste and recycling bins here for us too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

POBox19 wrote: »

My compost bin collection is free as part of bins package so happy days.

Thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

OP, what kind of weight and / or volume are you talking here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

Options for composting

Brown bins: In line with EU regulations, the Government supplies brown bins for composting to almost every household in Ireland. (The only exceptions are places so small or remote that it would not be practicable to collect brown bins separately from other bins.)
    Civic amenity centres: You can also bring organic waste to civic amenity centres to be composted. For details, contact your local authority.
    Home composting: You can have a compost heap in your garden or you can make or buy a compost container. You can buy containers from garden centres or hardware shops. Some local authorities offer them for sale at reduced rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

athlone573 wrote: »
    Options for composting

Brown bins: In line with EU regulations, the Government supplies brown bins for composting to almost every household in Ireland. (The only exceptions are places so small or remote that it would not be practicable to collect brown bins separately from other bins.)
    Civic amenity centres: You can also bring organic waste to civic amenity centres to be composted. For details, contact your local authority.
    Home composting: You can have a compost heap in your garden or you can make or buy a compost container. You can buy containers from garden centres or hardware shops. Some local authorities offer them for sale at reduced rates.
    Also, if you have a hedge, buy a small shredder (Lidl/Aldi occasionally), and mix shredded hedge clippings with your grass cuttings to make a compost.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭NuttyMcNutty

If it's only grass clippings can you not just drop it around the base of a tree?, if there are any beside you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭v0ldeMort

If it's only grass clippings can you not just drop it around the base of a tree?, if there are any beside you.

animals that eat grass clippings can die (horses etc) so please do not take the advice above.
    dump them properly.
    people seem to think they are 'feeding' animals by dumping, instead they can be causing them serious harm.

My compost bin collection is free as part of bins package so happy days.

Thanks for the help

It's not free, its just built into the price of the other bins. I bet you couldn't just have a compost bin;)

I wasn't talking about feeding animals, no horses roaming around my area either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Take your clippings and scatter them at the base of a hedge if you have one, or across the front garden as let's face it no one actually walks on that one :) They'll have vanished into the lawn in a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 33,926 ✭✭✭✭listermint

v0ldeMort wrote: »
    animals that eat grass clippings can die (horses etc) so please do not take the advice above.
    dump them properly.
    people seem to think they are 'feeding' animals by dumping, instead they can be causing them serious harm.

Who the hell keeps a horse in their garden !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

listermint wrote: »

Does that really need asking or answering? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

To clarify the brown bin issue, anyone living in a town or village of 500 people or more, is entitled to a brown bin from their waste contractor. Yes, there is a charge for it, depending on the operator- but remember, all awaste that goes into the black/residual/rubbish bin incurs a landfill levy based on weight (the contracotr pays this), so it is can be cost neutral or better to use a brown bin.

Not all contractors make their customers aware of this entitlement, if that is the case, report the issue to www.nwcpo.ie (Waste Collection Permit office) and get a contractor who will provide one.

I wasn't talking about feeding animals, no horses roaming around my area either

but you know for sure that the OP doesn't either, or anyone reading your advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,926 ✭✭✭✭listermint

but you know for sure that the OP doesn't either, or anyone reading your advice?

Keep banging the drum ....

I assume he/she would use common sense

• Advertisement

I assume he/she would use common sense

Hopefully, but you did advise to dump under a tree "nearby" - which could be anywhere.
    My own horse got colic and had to be pts thanks to a local who thought they were doing him a favour dumping grass clippings into his field, so forgive me if I have a reason for asking people not to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,683 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

A mulching lawnmower is also an option.

listermint wrote: »
    You obviously haven't been to the northwestern suburbs of Dublin!
    (it's ok, I'm originally from Finglas:) )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Have you a hedge? A nice mulch under it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,421 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Too much grass clippings under a hedge (or anywhere else) creates a nasty slimy area of black mank.

looksee wrote: »
    Too much grass clippings under a hedge (or anywhere else) creates a nasty slimy area of black mank.
    Shred some hedge clippings, brown cardboard/paper and mix it with the grass clippings first. The woody stuff absorbs the nitrogen fron the green stuff and it breaks down into more acceptable compost.
    I pile up my cuttings out of sight and when it's all well rotted, the following year, it can be put into the base of a raised bed to fill it out so that only the top layers need be compost/topsoil.

Advertisement