Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's Blacklion like, as a place to live?

Options
  • 17-04-2021 12:19pm

Hi folks,

I was just wondering if m/any of you spend time in Blacklion at all? It seems a strange little town, in that it (on Google Maps) looks really clean and well presented, but also has it's fair share of empty retail and a couple of houses look a bit 'tired' or such, and it's so close to the border that it practically is the border.

From being there in person for 2-3 flying visits, all in covid-times, it seems nice enough, but hard to tell what anywhere is like mid-covid really.

I've seen a couple of houses for rent to tourists and such, which is generally a sign of a nice, well kept area (otherwise you'd never get it rented?), but as I don't know much about it, and I presume the Garda station is usually empty, I figured it'd do no harm to ask for honest opinions on the place.

(I live in Louth, in a rough estate, and looking for houses pretty much anywhere in the country. There's a house that caught my eye and although I likely wouldn't be bidding on that specific house (bit early for me just yet to get a mortgage over the line as I'm still clearing loans, so likely be next year or so), it has drawn my attention to the area in general.

The general issues I'm concerned about are noise, packs of scumbags, anti-social behaviour, scramblers, etc. (the usual).

Anyone got any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,209 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Your nearest "big" town would be Enniskillen, never hear of any trouble in Blacklion.
    Get used to having two wallets, one Sterling, one Euro!
    Car essential if you were thinking of living there...

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Your nearest "big" town would be Enniskillen, never hear of any trouble in Blacklion.
    Get used to having two wallets, one Sterling, one Euro!
    Car essential if you were thinking of living there...

A nearby big town isn't a huge selling point to me. A nearby centra or similar is ideal. Just was more curious to hear about the general area and its residents. If you're likely to be dealing with scumbags all the time or not is the primary concern.

The little village that is blacklion seems alright, and belcoo seems good too. Presumably a debit card would sort the potential currency issues.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,029 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

There are scumbags are everywhere but in rural areas they tend to be highly diluted out, enough to not be an issue.
    I've never heard anything bad about that area myself, and it's certainly an incredibly beautiful part of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Geog1234

On the transport side of things the following info may be handy to be aware of for future reference/ emergency/ visitors et cetera...

Bus Éireann's route 458 was enhanced around two years ago and there are now eight buses a day each way (seven on Sundays) from Blacklion to both Enniskillen and Sligo. So both towns could readily be commuted to using the coach.

Advertisement