Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cat keeps walking/sitting on car

• 17-04-2021 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi my neighbours cat is always out and sitting on mine and others cars walking on roof and down windscreen leading paw Mark's and small scratches, I have thrown water over it multiple times but always comes back.

I think the cat is after birds that are in trees / bushes near my house now I hate to see him kill a bird . its definitely not a house cat its outside more then anything.

I just dont want the cat to get scratches all over it and ruin it

I am more of a dog person my own dog goes mad when he sees the cat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭TylerRyan28

Hi my neighbours cat is always out and sitting on mine and others cars walking on roof and down windscreen leading paw Mark's and small scratches, I have thrown water over it multiple times but always comes back.

I think the cat is after birds that are in trees / bushes near my house now I hate to see him kill a bird . its definitely not a house cat its outside more then anything.

Talk to the owner first if they dont do anything and it keeps happening, Catch it and bring it for a drive and leave it there

<Permabanned>

Mod note: the poster has been banned for this post. No need for any more reports!
    Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,055 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Talk to the owner first if they dont do anything and it keeps happening, Catch it and bring it for a drive and leave it there
    Ah come on.. what's the owner going to do? Ground the cat for it's behaviour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,860 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Move house, only 'ethical solution' that someone won't moan about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Take a picture of the cat sitting on the car. Take a picture of the damage. Let owner of the cat know. If they do nothing about it, remove cat from equation.

Take cat to the vet and ask them to put it down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Basq wrote: »
    Ah come on.. what's the owner going to do? Ground the cat for it's behaviour?

Yes, if the cat is causing property damage, which scratches in the paintwork are, then the cat should not be outside, keep it indoors and build an outside catio if you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,972 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

KaneToad wrote: »
    Take a picture of the cat sitting on the car. Take a picture of the damage. Let owner of the cat know. If they do nothing about it, remove cat from equation.
    Take cat to the vet and ask them to put it down.

Both posters permabanned as per the charter. Suggestions of killing someone else’s pet or otherwise causing unnecessary cruelty to them are not tolerated here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Tough one. Only thing I can think of is photographic evidence of cat on the car and any damage and threats of legal action maybe...I don't know how a neighbour can control cat once outside though. Is there any deterrent you could put on car, silent whistle or alarm that only cat hears?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,972 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Also permabanned, as per my previous post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Be right back

How about a dust cover for your car and ask the cat owner to pay for it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Little inconvenient don't you think, to have to constantly cover and uncover their car whenever they want to use it?

Speak to the owner, tell them of the issues. Maybe the cat's claws are too long, and could do with a trim?

I just got a cat recently, but he's indoors so far. If the cat is prone to damaging people's property, I think it should be kept inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭volchitsa

If the dog "goes mad" trying to get at the cat, maybe the scratch marks are from the dog? I've never seen claw marks from a cat on a car, though I've often seen paw marks, but I have seen scratchmarks from where a dog was trying to get at a cat that was on or above the car.

(In which case, maybe you can sort it - dogs are more easily controlled than cats)

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

burn your car out... you won't have any scratches and the cat will not want to sit on it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,338 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Motion activated sprinkler might be your best bet if you can figure out which route the cat uses to get to the car; it's humane and from what I've heard (never used it) it only needs a few triggers for the cat to learn not to go there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

volchitsa wrote: »
    If the dog "goes mad" trying to get at the cat, maybe the scratch marks are from the dog? I've never seen claw marks from a cat on a car, though I've often seen paw marks, but I have seen scratchmarks from where a dog was trying to get at a cat that was on or above the car.

(In which case, maybe you can sort it - dogs are more easily controlled than cats)

I was thinking the same, my cats a divil for scathing certain surfaces but wouldn't ever scratch a car, I'd think it would damage her claws??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,246 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I don't buy the cats scratching cars thing either. As both a cat owner and car owner, I just can't see it happening.
    I think people see a cat on their car, then find a few small scratches (most cars have scratches if you look closely), add 2 and 2 together and get 5!

I don't buy the cats scratching cars thing either. As both a cat owner and car owner, I just can't see it happening.
    I think people see a cat on their car, then find a few small scratches (most cars have scratches if you look closely), add 2 and 2 together and get 5!

In this case there's also a dog "going mad" to get at the cat. Dogs can't retract their claws and I've definitely seen damage done to cars by dogs trying to get at a cat (and I'm a dog owner, so have no beef with dogs!)

I've seen and heard cats on cars, and I've never heard a sound of claws on metal, they always seem to have their claws in.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Duck duck Graham

My dog doesn't jump anywhere near my car the cat runs off when I go throw water and my dog will chase it then .
    I have thrown a good few buckets of water over the cat and seems to have moved on to another car .

My dog doesn't jump anywhere near my car the cat runs off when I go throw water and my dog will chase it then .
    I have thrown a good few buckets of water over the cat and seems to have moved on to another car .

If the car's out on the street, then other dogs might have jumped up at the cat.
    And if it's in your own garden then maybe the dog is out on its own (even just for the toilet) and jumps then (that's how my dog jumped up against my car, which is why I noticed your post, alas :eek: )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭TobyHolmes

get a car cover - shouldnt be too expensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭phormium

My cat used to climb up on my old car to lie on the roof, she definitely scratched it, probably more by using her claws to try get a grip rather than any other sort of scratching, especially if she was hunted off it in a hurry.

It was ancient so I didn't care but I bought a new car and I bought one of those motion activated water sprinklers, has to be linked up to hose and runs on batteries, pointed it in path of car and once she got near it scattered water in a fine arc, it stopped her.

If the car's out on the street, then other dogs might have jumped up at the cat.
    And if it's in your own garden then maybe the dog is out on its own (even just for the toilet) and jumps then (that's how my dog jumped up against my car, which is why I noticed your post, alas :eek: )

Car is in my garden, well he cant open the front door let alone most doors when they are closed. My dog goes to the toilet out the back garden .

TobyHolmes wrote: »
    get a car cover - shouldnt be too expensive

As someone said before thats to much hassle to have to keep putting on and off when I use the car .

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭TobyHolmes

As someone said before thats to much hassle to have to keep putting on and off when I use the car .

fair enough. pity houses in ireland dont have garages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I had that problem too with neighbours cats walking and scratching my car, had a car cover and they still climbed up on the car. A few people told me Oh the cats didn’t scratch the car until I took pictures of their paw prints all over the car and the scratches. Just because it doesn’t or didn’t happen to you doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen.

Squirting a Water gun helped but alas they have decided to come back. Need a new plan of action now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭spuddy4711

Try squirting vinegar on your car, moggies hate the smell and hopefully will pick someplace else. Dilute it first,
    or leave it in dishes to protect paintwork

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sarah 1234

I have multiple cats, I nor any of my neighbours have scratch marks on their cars from my cats. Cats can't get their nails into metal & their claws are retracted when they walk. If there are scratch marks on your car they're not from cats.

Autosport wrote: »
    I had that problem too with neighbours cats walking and scratching my car, had a car cover and they still climbed up on the car. A few people told me Oh the cats didn’t scratch the car until I took pictures of their paw prints all over the car and the scratches. Just because it doesn’t or didn’t happen to you doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen.

Squirting a Water gun helped but alas they have decided to come back. Need a new plan of action now

Paw prints definitely but I've never seen paw prints with claw marks: they always seem to have their claws retracted on metal surfaces. Also cats don't climb onto cars, they jump. Claws in.

I really think the scratches come from something else. Maybe dogs trying to get at the cats? I've seen my dog doiong that - and she did scratch the car. Grr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

My neighbours cat used jump up on the bonnet of my car and sunbathe there and then potter up
    the windscreen to lay on the roof and aunbatger there. Cat scratch marks accordingly and footprints ( miaow type) on the windscreen. Dunno what you can do as those noise things say they also affect dogs and foxes - might torment yours.

My car cat problem disappeared when catorama decided s/he’d rather be inside the house and sat outside yowling until I opened the door or window to see who was being sawn in half. Now I have a cat carpet problem but the car isn’t being scratched!

Maybe set up a warm bit of carpet and bit of a furry blanket in an upturned plastic lined box or orange crate somewhere sunny - might get
    him off your car at least? Cats like heat! Nothing like a nice warm tin box under your chilly aras to start the day off well or for your midafternoon nap!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,246 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Autosport wrote: »
    A few people told me Oh the cats didn’t scratch the car until I took pictures of their paw prints all over the car and the scratches. Just because it doesn’t or didn’t happen to you doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen.

Pictures of paw prints and scratches does nothing to prove that the scratches were done by a cat.

I could produce a pic of a car with a smashed windscreen and lots of cat paw prints. Would that suggest that a cat smashed the windscreen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Yester

Does leaving bottles of water lying on the lawn discourage them or is that just a myth?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,338 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Yester wrote: »
    Does leaving bottles of water lying on the lawn discourage them or is that just a myth?
    Myth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Paw prints definitely but I've never seen paw prints with claw marks: they always seem to have their claws retracted on metal surfaces. Also cats don't climb onto cars, they jump. Claws in.

I really think the scratches come from something else. Maybe dogs trying to get at the cats? I've seen my dog doiong that - and she did scratch the car. Grr.

Hmmmm Cats will claw to avoid falling. Instinct .I have the scars to show for that when they have launched at me and fallen. Yes they retract when leaping. But of they need to cling on landing? But never in decades of cars and cats have I known any scratches on cars.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Hmmmm Cats will claw to avoid falling. Instinct .I have the scars to show for that when they have launched at me and fallen. Yes they retract when leaping. But of they need to cling on landing? But never in decades of cars and cats have I known any scratches on cars.

Yes but how could they cling onto a metal surface with their claws? Their paws would work better. That's why I'm not convinced they would put out their claws other than exceptionally, out of panic perhaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

those noise things say they also affect dogs and foxes - might torment yours.

One of my dogs barked the first time I put in on and the other put his head to one side and looked at it the first day and that was it. He’s quite happy to sunbathe in the garden beside one and wee beside the other so they’re not bothering him!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Tr_18

You could try smearing the car with catnip?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yes but how could they cling onto a metal surface with their claws? Their paws would work better. That's why I'm not convinced they would put out their claws other than exceptionally, out of panic perhaps.

Exactly. Reflex when they find they cannot cling to a smooth surface and start falling.

Graces7 wrote: »
    [/B]

Exactly. Reflex when they find they cannot cling to a smooth surface and start falling.

Yeah but TBF, other than kittens, how many cats ever misjudge their leap onto a car and do a cartoon panicky slide down the side of the car??

Advertisement