Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bbc iplayer/ itv hub

Options
  • 17-04-2021 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭

Without having to change my ios account settings,does anybody have side load links to have the above apps on my ios devices? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gwildor

VPN and use the web apps. That's what I use anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Mr.S wrote: »
    The web apps are fairly ****e compared to the native iOS apps.

Easiest way is to create a second Apple ID with country selected as the UK (you can use the same email address if you have Gmail, just place a dot or +1 in it) - log in, download the UK apps, and then resign into your main Apple ID. The UK apps will auto-update, but you'll just be prompted for a password.

Takes all of 5 mins, if even.

To access the content you'll need a VPN or SmartDNS service.

Could you recommend a vpn. Many thanks.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Yyhhuuu wrote: »

I would recommend Getflix DNS or SmartDNS over a VPN, works flawless for me anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Yyhhuuu wrote: »

Far better to use a DNS service. Simply a matter of putting in the DNS address of the service you subscribed to into the Network settings on the Apple TV. Both iPlayer and ITV Hub will always think it is in the UK and you never have to worry about it again.

https://www.keepsolid.com/smartdns/manuals/setup-smartdns-for-apple-tv

I use this one. Have a look on Stack Social for offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Rangerous

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Far better to use a DNS service. Simply a matter of putting in the DNS address of the service you subscribed to into the Network settings on the Apple TV. Both iPlayer and ITV Hub will always think it is in the UK and you never have to worry about it again.

I use this one. Have a look on Stack Social for offers.

I actually have a SmartDNS sub and I’m not even using 1% of it’s potential! Just a quick one: is it the ATV or the app will think it’s in the UK? Because if it’s the device, wouldn’t that have implications for viewing RTE Player etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Rangerous wrote: »
    I actually have a SmartDNS sub and I’m not even using 1% of it’s potential! Just a quick one: is it the ATV or the app will think it’s in the UK? Because if it’s the device, wouldn’t that have implications for viewing RTE Player etc?
    set one dns entry for uk and the second for ireland. that works on my smart tv which i have bbc iplayer and itv hub set up on. rte player works with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

The SmartDNS service only works with specific services, like iplayer/netflix and you can tell it what location you want it make you appear in for those. Hence for RTEplayer dont bother configuring anything as you're already in Ireland - that's if the SmartDNS service even supports RTEplayer. Setting two DNS entries on one device doesn't help as it'll use the primary unless it fails then it'll use the secondary. The TV isn't clever enough to know which to use for which app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Mr.S wrote: »
    The web apps are fairly ****e compared to the native iOS apps.

Easiest way is to create a second Apple ID with country selected as the UK (you can use the same email address if you have Gmail, just place a dot or +1 in it) - log in, download the UK apps, and then resign into your main Apple ID. The UK apps will auto-update, but you'll just be prompted for a password.

Takes all of 5 mins, if even.

To access the content you'll need a VPN or SmartDNS service.

Hi,

I'm using a DNS Service with Apple TV 4K. It unlocks the live programs on All 4, so I know it's working ok.

I'm trying to load the iPlayer App, without success. I set up a new UK based AppleId, using a VPN, just to be sure. I logged into that that AppleId on the AppleTV, with the country first set to the UK on the Apple TV and the DNS Server. I'm still only seeing the Irish App Store.

Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks a million...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

All 4 doesn't need a VPN or DNS for me as far as I know.

Hi,

I'm using a DNS Service with Apple TV 4K. It unlocks the live programs on All 4, so I know it's working ok.

I'm trying to load the iPlayer App, without success. I set up a new UK based AppleId, using a VPN, just to be sure. I logged into that that AppleId on the AppleTV, with the country first set to the UK on the Apple TV and the DNS Server. I'm still only seeing the Irish App Store.

Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks a million...

You dont need a VPN or smart DNS for the app store, have you tried that apple ID on an iPhone to be sure it's actually a UK id? You need to be sure it's logged in for the app store and not just the general user on the phone. I dont remember if the appleTV is the same, but I'm fairly sure I dont need a VPN/DSN to get to the UK app store on the apple tv either. Will check later if you have no luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭NewClareman

whiterebel wrote: »
    All 4 doesn't need a VPN or DNS for me as far as I know.
    Without a VPN or DNS you can't watch live tv on All 4, just the catch up.
    BigMoose wrote: »
    You dont need a VPN or smart DNS for the app store, have you tried that apple ID on an iPhone to be sure it's actually a UK id? You need to be sure it's logged in for the app store and not just the general user on the phone. I dont remember if the appleTV is the same, but I'm fairly sure I dont need a VPN/DSN to get to the UK app store on the apple tv either. Will check later if you have no luck.

I set up the 2nd ID on an IPad, and it's definitely a UK one. It would be great if you could confirm what you do on The AppleTV. What I have now is two users, I can switch between. I wasn't aware that there was an additional step to log in to the AppleTV App Store.

Update: I am logged in on my IPad with the UK ID and I can see IPlayer on the Apple Store. On the AppleTV I am still seeing the Irish Store, despite rebooting and using the UK AppleID.

Update 2: I wasn't logged in to the App Store on the Apple TV, with the UK ID. All sorted now, thanks BigMoose :)

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I created a UK apple ID last week using app store through a browser, once do, I then logged out of my app store on iphone and ipad, and logged in with new apple ID, automatically switched to UK app store, I downloaded the few app I wanted, iplayer, freeview, my5 and itv hub, then I logged back out of app store and logged back in with my irish account. All work perfect for me now.

I dont have the latest Apple TV so cant check that I'm afraid.

Update 2: I wasn't logged in to the App Store on the Apple TV, with the UK ID. All sorted now, thanks BigMoose :)

Great, glad you're sorted!! Sorry, forgot to check this tread over the weekend and update you with my AppleTV setup, but glad you got it working!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Without a VPN or DNS you can't watch live tv on All 4, just the catch up.

Thanks, I hadn't realised that.

Advertisement