Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike suspension

Options
  • 17-04-2021 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Ok so my son has a bike. Not the most expensive but something odd with it, it has a front suspension fork, BUT, the suspension only kicks in if I have the front brake pressed.

No brakes, lean on the front bars and it stiff as a solid frame, press the brake and it’s got a good bounce.. very odd.

Anyone any ideas or am I just an idiot?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭cletus

hotshots85 wrote: »
    Ok so my son has a bike. Not the most expensive but something odd with it, it has a front suspension fork, BUT, the suspension only kicks in if I have the front brake pressed.

No brakes, lean on the front bars and it stiff as a solid frame, press the brake and it’s got a good bounce.. very odd.

Anyone any ideas or am I just an idiot?

Some shocks have a lockout, but if that was engaged it shouldn't compress when braking either.

There is a possibility that it's binding, and pulling the brake allows you to overcome this and place more force on it.

There's also the chance it's just not a very good shock :)

Similar issue here, with some suggestions to try

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/834842-strange-problem-front-suspension.html

Advertisement