Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who is the greatest ever 80s action movie hero?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Van Damme was making faces like he was constipated and trying to have a sh1te for most of it.

He's like that in all his movies!

ehlKbi2.gif

Seagal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

ZX7R wrote: »
    But Arnie was a baddie in the terminator....
    Stallone
    Van dam
    Kurt Russell
    The only ones I can think of that never played a villain in any of there 80s action movies
    Van dam played is evil twin I let that slide

Just twins, not evil

billyhead wrote: »
    Wesley snipes was good in passenger 57.

90s

Eddie Murphy ,

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

Troy McClure....
    you might rember him from such films as

Bloodsport 7 - Badgers Revenge
    Missing in Action 9 - Skipping this Round
    Terminator 9. - Extra Batteries now included

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It's amazing with all the special effects nowadays that action classics from that 15-20 year period from the late 70's until the mid 90's were so good and most have not dated to any great extent

Terminator series ( Arnie)
    Predator
    Commando
    Conan
    First Blood series ( Stallone)
    Rocky series
    Alien series ( Sergourney Weaver)
    Indianna Jones (Harrison Ford)
    Star Wars
    Blade Runner
    Star Trek films
    Escape from New York (Kurt Russell)
    Big trouble in little China
    Tango and Cash
    Man Max. ( Mel Gibson)
    Lethal weapon
    Silverado( thank god there is a western)
    Beverly hills cop (Eddie Murphy)
    Die Hard ( Bruce Willis)
    The Warriors

There is a few more I cannot remember at the.moment. The biggest action hero hast to go to Arnie for the amount of them he was in. Stallone has to be acknowledged in that he not only started but wrote a lot of his screen plays.

If I was to pick the five best films in them that you can watch again and again without rating them

First Blood 1
    Terminator 2
    Aliens 2
    Mad max 1
    The Warriors

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Just twins, not evil

One twin is always evil in movies and TV.
    This is known.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Kurt Russell played Snake Pliskin, the biggest bad ass in any movie, ever. Other than first blood Rambo, the other characters are basically mindless killing machines, literally in Terminator.
    Snake and Rambo were both anti establishment figures disillusioned by the military complex they were once part of.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭Tippbhoy1

T2 was the nineties. As was total recall. This swings it slightly in Sly’s favour in my opinion. If it was 80s and 90s it would have to be Arnie

Tippbhoy1 wrote: »
    T2 was the nineties. As was total recall. This swings it slightly in Sly’s favour in my opinion. If it was 80s and 90s it would have to be Arnie

Stallones 90s started with Oscar and Stop or my mom will shoot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

billyhead wrote: »
    Wesley snipes was good in passenger 57.

Wesley Snipes is the Wesley Snipes of action movie stars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Commando, Connan 1&2, Red Heat and Predator were all 80's. Total recall was made in the 80 and released in 1990.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

T2 was released in 91 but was an 80's action movie at heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Kurt Russell played Snake Pliskin, the biggest bad ass in any movie, ever. Other than first blood Rambo, the other characters are basically mindless killing machines, literally in Terminator.
    Snake and Rambo were both anti establishment figures disillusioned by the military complex they were once part of.

Good character, great film but not a very original character for me. Russell even admitted to basically copying Clint Eastwood's Spaghetti Western era performance. Comes off as cheesy in places.

His McCready is great though.

• Advertisement

Good character, great film but not a very original character for me. Russell even admitted to basically copying Clint Eastwood's Spaghetti Western era performance. Comes off as cheesy in places.

His McCready is great though.

His John Wayne impersonation in Big trouble in little China is funny

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Now I've got to go watch this again :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭Gemancy

Chuck Norris, I loved The Delta Force.

Also, I know he’s not exactly an action hero and was 1970s not 80s but I always loved Barnaby Jones and the way he held a gun, I think he deserves an honorary mention... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Die Hard is the best action movie of all time let alone the 80s and Bruce Willis is perfect in it so therefore the answer is Bruce Willis/John McClane.

But it really depends on what you want from an action movie. I watched Commando a while back for the first time and it was absolute dross. It's a completely different type of action movie.

Charles Bronson would have still been kicking ass in the 80s,

• Advertisement

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Die Hard is the best action movie of all time let alone the 80s and Bruce Willis is perfect in it so therefore the answer is Bruce Willis/John McClane.

But it really depends on what you want from an action movie. I watched Commando a while back for the first time and it was absolute dross. It's a completely different type of action movie.

While I loved Diehard and Diehard 2 I think Aliens is a better action movie,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

While I loved Diehard and Diehard 2 I think Aliens is a better action movie,

I hear what you are saying, Aliens is an absolute classic, but, man, Die Hard is just a cut above IMO. Even outside of the qualifier of "for an action movie". Performances, editing, suspense, parallel storytelling - it's a legitimately outstanding film. Another thing which is amazing about it is how there's basically nothing in the script - even the tiniest of details - that doesn't pay off in some way as the film goes on. Every piece of information you get has a purpose, there's nothing wasted or that doesn't mean something to the story. So satisfying. I love Aliens a lot, but Die Hard is the quintessential action movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Stallone

Rocky ,2,3,
    First Blood
    Escape To Victory
    Rambo 2
    Cobra
    Over The Top
    Lock Up
    Tango and Cash

If we are only talking 80#s then Stallone wins

Arine only had one good movie in the 80's How could he ever win.

Not all of those are 80s however they are all action and that is why Stalone is the greatest action hero of the 80s.
    Arnie isn't a hero in terminator his action hero status is much more 90s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭bassy

Bruce lee owned the lot I know he died in 73,but he kicked chucks ass for real in off air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Michael Dudikoff. End of thread. Mods, do your job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Bloodsport though. What a cracker of a movie. The good fights made up for the bad acting..

Yeah, but it all went downhill very quickly after that.

----

Anyway. No MacGyver, not sale.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Stallones 90s started with Oscar and Stop or my mom will shoot

I read that too quickly as 'with an Oscar for Stop or My Mom Will Shoot'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

We got Aliens v Predatoe eventually but Terminator v Predator would be intetesting too in a celebrity death match

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Who's the lad on the bottom left corner of my OP picture. Is it the dude from Crouching Tiger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

And it was still tremendous

Bolo Yeung was the real star of the movie, he'd have ate Van Damme alive in a real fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Dolph Lundgren deserves to be in the mix as well I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Stallone for me

First blood was a masterpiece

It was a deeper role that none of the other action heroes had the range to do effectively

Thinking about the training scenes in Rocky and the Green Beret stories in Rambo, did any other actor have the ability to actually motivate the viewers to exercise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Predator was on again last night , that movie is a religious experience for me

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I read that too quickly as 'with an Oscar for Stop or My Mom Will Shoot'

"maybe one of the worst films in the entire solar system, including alien productions we’ve never seen"
    - Sylvester Stallone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Who's the lad on the bottom left corner of my OP picture. Is it the dude from Crouching Tiger?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chow_Yun-fat

Check out the film Hard Boiled, the gunfights are absolutely amazing.

"maybe one of the worst films in the entire solar system, including alien productions we’ve never seen"
    - Sylvester Stallone

May as well throw in Rhinestone
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhinestone_(film)

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

When I read the title I immediately thought of Sylvester Stallone in First Blood - part II. So he must be it.

In any case there are only two to consider: Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger. All others only appeared by grace of these two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I am going to give you a run down of it.

This IS how it is ..everything else is void ...

HE-MAN

SHE -RA

The pink panther

Sailor Moon !

Ulysses 31

And this was a REALLY REALLY TOUGH decision

BUT NUMERO UNO
    GIVE ME THUNDER!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Robbie Coltrane. No, really. Watch this scene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

It didn't have a stand-out action hero, but one of the films I used to watch a lot was Best of the Best.

Surely we'll start seeing some shít remakes of the likes of this and bloodsport in the next few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Alias the Jester

21/25

Advertisement