Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish film with no Irish actresses

• 17-04-2021 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2021/0417/1210458-kathy-bates-trying-to-get-to-grips-with-dublin-accent/

2 american women and an english woman are to play 3 dublin ladies on a trip to Lourdes.

now seeing as Hank Azaria thinks he's now the reincarnation of Hitler for doing Apu's voice in the simpsons and no one is ever to play something they are not in future then what are we to think of this ?

now, i'm slightly not completly up in arms about this, but, it would be nice to at least use some irish people in the 3 main roles would it not ?

(maybe there's other roles with irish women being used, i dunno)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

All of this faux outrage is ridiculous tbh. What’s the definition of acting? When I was in drama school, I’d be asked to play a different gender, a different ethnicity, a different class... because I was ACTING. Trying to limit the scope of acting (in the same way identity politics activists are trying to limit what writers can and cannot write about) is essentially attempting to censor the imagination and superimposes the political over the art form. I’m ****ing sick of it. You don’t need Irish women to play Irish characters, nor do you need anyone of any nationality, gender of ethnicity to write stories of those particular experiences. To assert otherwise is, frankly, inverse racism, classicism or sexism.

It seems to me like the people who complain most about this type of stuff are not the ones creating the material that is consumed. Really makes you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PuddingBreath

All of this faux outrage is ridiculous tbh. What’s the definition of acting? When I was in drama school, I’d be asked to play a different gender, a different ethnicity, a different class... because I was ACTING. Trying to limit the scope of acting (in the same way identity politics activists are trying to limit what writers can and cannot write about) is essentially attempting to censor the imagination and superimposes the political over the art form. I’m ****ing sick of it. You don’t need Irish women to play Irish characters, nor do you need anyone of any nationality, gender of ethnicity to write stories of those particular experiences. To assert otherwise is, frankly, inverse racism, classicism or sexism.

It seems to me like the people who complain most about this type of stuff are not the ones creating the material that is consumed. Really makes you think.

i agree with almost all you say. bart simpson is voiced by a woman, so ... does she have to quit her job too ?

The point of acting was pretending to be something you're not for entertainment purposes, but i guess these people calling(or himself) hank azaria racist and so on(i think scarlett johannson lost a role because she wasnt; transgender) have missed the basic premise of acting.

my big issue with non irish doing irish accents is that they usually make a hames of it. so if you had a few irish women involved it might help along the americans.

Advertisement