Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Level 5 restrictions on rail travel

Options
  • 17-04-2021 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Apologies in advance if a thread already exists what exactly is the deal with rail travel at the moment?
    For example if you were to travel from Dublin to Cork or anywhere else for that matter by rail is there checks with all this essential travel?

Comments

adamandeve wrote: »
    Apologies in advance if a thread already exists what exactly is the deal with rail travel at the moment?
    For example if you were to travel from Dublin to Cork or anywhere else for that matter by rail is there checks with all this essential travel?

I'm not sure. How about the Belfast Dublin line? I wonder if there's any checks on the Enterprise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

adamandeve wrote: »

I very much doubt it.
    Currently you are supposed to book online for inter city journeys. This nonsense was introduced to cope with any overcrowding (above 25% of normal capacity) during the Christmas 2020 period. Since then, load factors have been more like 2% but the restrictions remain. I emailed Irish Rail and got the usual waffle, that it was the NTa decision based on public health guidelines, pure bull**** of course, nobody needs to book for a bus. It is just a decision by people who have no comprehension of public health or public transport, but who feel they have to do something.
    During the first lockdown, Gardai from three stations in northeast Dublin blitzed Howth Junction. They made so much about it that I suspect it was the only organised check. However it is always possible for an individual Garda to check a train if he or she chooses to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Folks my wife has to take an essential journey on wed next and is planning on using Irish rail

We know about the requirement to pre book.

The query is - can you use the annual tax saver ticket (that was extended by 6 months) to book the ticket or is that not possible on the Irish rail website ?

Any advice most welcome

Advertisement