Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's motorbike thrift actually like in Ireland?

Options
  • 18-04-2021 8:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭

I'm back in the game after a long absence and wondering if motorbike theft is a major factor here?

Are thieves taking bikes to joyride? Robbing them to order or just opportunists? I do have a reasonable locking strategy and at home the bike is out of sight, covered, behind a locked gate, two locks, ground anchor and a security camera...

Got a quote for insurance that was massive and was told it was due to the fact that the bike wasn't being kept in a concrete shed??? Sounds ludicrous and also like they are using London style statistics to gouge the Irish market...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Are bikes stolen ,

Yes .

Is it rampant. No I wouldn't say it's any different to any other crime.

What was the quote? your definition of expensive may be different to others

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

I am from Greece and most of my friends had at least once their bike stolen and never found.
    In Ireland, I have only one friend that his bike was stolen and found it the next morning.

I have theft coverage for my bike. Originally it was stored in the backyard, then in a metal shed. Don't remember paying much less afterwards. That in Lucan.
    Area is somehow important but maybe you should get a quote from other companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Thomasirl123

Depends on where you live and luck. I once left the keys in my bike parked outside a gym, came back an hour later and the keys and bike were still there. I'm sure 50-100 people had the opportunity to rob it but didn't 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭spuddy4711

Maybe saw you pumping iron, decided there were easier pickings. Wheeling bike through the house
    to the back garden kept mine save.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Does anyone release statistics?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

What bike are you trying to insure?

If a thief wants your bike badly enough, they'll likely get it. All you can do is make it awkward and risky enough to steal that they leave it alone.

Advertisement