Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honda 2317 review (new version 2018?)

Options
  • 18-04-2021 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭

After 15 years of use I replaced my 2005 version Honda 2315 with a shiny new Honda 2317 - 36inch cut 17hp engine.

I thought I'd write a review as I'm impressed with the new version.

But first cost. I bought from Monaghan Hire who gave me a good deal, rrp is about €4400 (but don't pay that!) and they supplied all ready to go on a pallet to my gate (can't get a lorry down the drive) for €3900. I also got an additional deal for part exchange on the old one, so don't be afraid to negotiate! Found Monaghan Hire very easy to deal with although delivery took a little longer than originally stated.

The new version is much improved over the old one. The big difference is the ability to cut longer wetter grass and bag it without blockages. Forget cutting 6 inch long grass down to 1/2 an inch in one pass but it will handle two weeks of growth on a damp morning which the old one could never manage.

There are little changes all over the machine. For me the most notable was the shape of the chute that feeds the grass into the grass box. The older version was square and grass only really moved up the top half of it where the air was moving fastest. The new version is rectangular (wider than high) which seems to improve the flow of grass. I've not taken a good look under the deck yet but from the diagrams I've seen there seem to be additional blower sections attached to the blades which again would increase air flow and reduce blockages. So far I've not had to stop to sort out blockages on grass that would have had the old machine (even when new) well blocked up before the grass box was half full.

Blade stop start is via a switch on the dashboard to an electronic clutch and the blades are offset so there is no timing set up for them because they can never touch.

I love the fact the new one goes as fast in reverse as it goes forward the old one only crawled in reverse. You can cut in reverse if you press the override button on the dash. One thing I'm going to change is that you can't get off the seat at all without the engine stopping. The old one had a switch on the handbrake and if the deck was off, the mower was in neutral (hydrostatic, N on dashboard - notional neutral being when its not moving) and the handbrake was on then the engine would still run when you got off the seat. I used to like that because I often remove the grass box to empty it (yes its heavy but it can be done) and it saves a lot of stopping and starting of the engine.

The other obvious change from the spec is the newer one is 17hp whereas the old one was 15hp. Certainly I've had no issues with power on the new one and the ones I had on the old 15hp version were probably due as much to age as anything but the extra 2hp is more than welcome. The seat is also improved and gives much more back support than the old one.

There are traditional honda features I don't need like headlamps that come on when its dark, I'd happily loose them for a reduction in price. The dashboard is good but I would like an hour meter nice to know how much work a machine has done. Noise levels aren't too bad but I wear ear defenders anyway.

Overall probably a little expensive for what it is but it is a premium brand that I'd expect at least 10 years work out of before I start thinking of having to buy major spares other than the normal consumables like blades, belts, plugs oil and filters.

Any questions just ask.

Just a few more points after finally getting back on top of our grass this year (had to spend a fortnight in the UK helping a relative).

The grass box hanger frame had a bit of a redesign which makes it a lot easier to realign the grass box when you have to put it back on.

The petrol cap is still in a daft place and can rub against shrubs and fall off as you go in close to shrubs when cutting.

Yes those extra fan blades I mentioned are there. Did manage to get the chute blocked up today but that was because the alarm for the grassbox being full didn't sound. My own fault should have realised anyway.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement