Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maple tree query

Options
  • 18-04-2021 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

Hi I have a mature semi green maple tree that is currently beginning to bloom. It think the leaves seem different to last year but can say definitely. Just worried that they look to be staying small in parts and that the tree night be struggling. Dont think I am over watering. Maybe i am not watering it enough. Anyone any suggestions?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

dh1985 wrote: »
    Hi I have a mature semi green maple tree that is currently beginning to bloom. It think the leaves seem different to last year but can say definitely. Just worried that they look to be staying small in parts and that the tree night be struggling. Dont think I am over watering. Maybe i am not watering it enough. Anyone any suggestions?
    Thanks

Image attached

• Registered Users Posts: 28,336 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That tie looks very tight, needs more flexible material to tie it. Otherwise its a bit hard to tell but it looks as though it is still only coming out and may have been knocked back a bit by the recent cold and windy weather, like a lot of trees. Give it a while and see how it goes. But do loosen that tie and put a spacer between the bar and the tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

Could be frost damage. Another issue could be the tree support which looks to be tied to the tree with standard twine which would have no flexibility in it and will cut into the bark and damage the tree as it grows. The lath also should ideally not be in contact with the tree as this rubbing off the trunk will also damage the bark and under the bark are the xylem and phloem structures that carry all of the water and energy between your tree roots and leaves. If these are cut off in a ring you will kill your tree and even smaller damage to part of these can allow diseases into your tree.

macraignil wrote: »
    Could be frost damage. Another issue could be the tree support which looks to be tied to the tree with standard twine which would have no flexibility in it and will cut into the bark and damage the tree as it grows. The lath also should ideally not be in contact with the tree as this rubbing off the trunk will also damage the bark and under the bark are the xylem and phloem structures that carry all of the water and energy between your tree roots and leaves. If these are cut off in a ring you will kill your tree and even smaller damage to part of these can allow diseases into your tree.

Excellent.thanks for that

looksee wrote: »
    That tie looks very tight, needs more flexible material to tie it. Otherwise its a bit hard to tell but it looks as though it is still only coming out and may have been knocked back a bit by the recent cold and windy weather, like a lot of trees. Give it a while and see how it goes. But do loosen that tie and put a spacer between the bar and the tree.

Yeah fair point about the cold as it was looking really good about two weeks back. Good information regarding tie also. Thank you

• Advertisement
Advertisement