Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitors fees - selling

Options
  • 18-04-2021 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,050 ✭✭✭✭

I have had a solicitor sort out a probate issue with a property. I thought it would make sense to also engage them to act on my behalf in the sale of the property, which has three owners, however their projected cost is coming in at €3.5 K, which seems out of whack with previous property transactions I have done.

Does that seem steep?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

That's very expensive for just handling sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

We paid 1777.00 to the solicitor for the sale of our house in October 2020. Slightly reduced fee as he handled the purchase of our next home too.

Is the figure quoted including their fee for handling the probate? Whether it is or isn't, I'd be asking for a breakdown of the fees!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,050 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

No, the probate issue has been sorted and paid for separately. Thanks, I'll be querying the fees, and since they haven't needed to lift a finger so far, I may well engage a different solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

Generally selling is cheaper (as not as much outlay involved) than buying so get a breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

It is possible that the solicitor doesn't want your business. You might have been troublesome during the probate matter. Better find a new solicitor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

If the solicitor has dealt with the property for the probate then they would know if there are any issues with the property and they should have resolved these as part of probate.

Charging £3.5k for dealing with the sale of property after probate is scandalous. I would not engage with that solicitor any further

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

It is possible that the solicitor doesn't want your business. You might have been troublesome during the probate matter. Better find a new solicitor.

That actually is a very good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

As in "there are too many other people out there who never question our fee's troublesome?".

How could a client of a solicitor be troublesome?

Client offers solicitor work, solicitor quotes fee, does work, gets paid.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,050 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I suppose I have been troublesome, picking up basic errors in the grant of probate so it had to be re-done a couple of times. But I didn't make a fuss over it and paid the final bill promptly.

Actually the solicitor seemed quite keen that I should get the potential buyer to fork up for a booking deposit, which I haven't done and thought strangely hasty, given there's no one else in the queue to buy as it's not on the market publicly, so to speak. Strange thing to be pushing for if they don't really want the work.

The title is an old one that's still on the Register of Deeds - would that entail a far greater work load for a solicitor?

Client offers solicitor work, solicitor quotes fee, does work, gets paid.

Solicitor quotes fee, Client instructs solicitor, client keeps calling to ask "are we there yet", keeps acting like a know-all, incites the other clients to ask questions, keeps raining points they have read in a book, on the internet or from the pub bore whose brother is nearly a barrister. Add to that behaving like a Limerick Taxi driver aqnd hairdresser rolled into one constant talk about Limerick football, Limerick hurling, Limerick rugby and the state of the nation in general. Solicitor does work, client keeps nit picking. Solicitor eventually gets paid and says "never again".

• Advertisement

Solicitor quotes fee, Client instructs solicitor, client keeps calling to ask "are we there yet", keeps acting like a know-all, incites the other clients to ask questions, keeps raining points they have read in a book, on the internet or from the pub bore whose brother is nearly a barrister. Add to that behaving like a Limerick Taxi driver aqnd hairdresser rolled into one constant talk about Limerick football, Limerick hurling, Limerick rugby and the state of the nation in general. Solicitor does work, client keeps nit picking. Solicitor eventually gets paid and says "never again".

a lot of jobs are like that. if this gets to the solicitor this then they are in the wrong job

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

That's one wild imagination you've got there. "Incites other clients to ask questions?" was my favourite bit.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

duffysfarm wrote: »
    a lot of jobs are like that. if this gets to the solicitor this then they are in the wrong job

So what? A lot of people are in the wrong job, but stick it out anyway.

So what? A lot of people are in the wrong job, but stick it out anyway.

so what??? the op is on about solicitors fees and your going on a rant about Limerick Hurling???

so what??? the op is on about solicitors fees and your going on a rant about Limerick Hurling???

I am pointing out that the solicitor might not want to hear a rant about Limerick Hurling. A different thing altogether. Just because someone doesn't want to hear a rant about Limerick hurling doesn't mean they are in the wrong job.

I am pointing out that the solicitor might not want to hear a rant about Limerick Hurling. A different thing altogether. Just because someone doesn't want to hear a rant about Limerick hurling doesn't mean they are in the wrong job.

but the op's solicitor may be Limerick's number one supporter? It might break up a rather boring and unexciting day to have an intelligent and thought provoking conversation about limerick hurling

but the op's solicitor may be Limerick's number one supporter? It might break up a rather boring and unexciting day to have an intelligent and thought provoking conversation about limerick hurling

The o/p might be putting him off Limerick hurling.

The o/p might be putting him off Limerick hurling.

to help close this debate once and for all, can the op contact their solicitor as a matter of urgency and see if they are a fan of Limerick Hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭BingCrosbee

cnocbui wrote: »
    I have had a solicitor sort out a probate issue with a property. I thought it would make sense to also engage them to act on my behalf in the sale of the property, which has three owners, however their projected cost is coming in at €3.5 K, which seems out of whack with previous property transactions I have done.

Does that seem steep?

Ask him for the fee without the saddle.

Advertisement