Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fee paying secondary schools/non fee paying secondary schools?

Options
  • 18-04-2021 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

My teenager is experiencing a lot of bullying that has taken place in and out of school, at the hands of a gang of boys in the same year as him. He goes to a very large, public secondary school in West Dublin. The bullying has been going on for close to two years and in my opinion, even if the school authorities were inclined to take serious steps to stop it, it would be too little too late. The kids concerned have gotten away with most of what they have done so far and feel invincible.

I am not in a position to pay fees. However, various relations have offered to make a sizeable contribution. This means that it would be feasible to send him to a private secondary school for the remainder of his secondary school education.

I don't have strong feelings about private vs public schools - I think good people and outcomes come from both, having known examples from each.

My question is, is bullying less prevalent a problem in private schools? Is it a more benign atmosphere? Any opinions welcome.

EDIT: due to the bullying I have investigated the possibility of him enrolling in a non fee paying school and I am hopeful that he will have a place for 2021/22. I am told that bullying is a big problem in this school as well.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No it is no less a problem. Any school says they do not have a bullying issue is lying. The thing to ask about is their policies on bullying and how many cases they acted against in the previous years. You don't need details, just a sense that action is taken. If they are taking action, this is a plus.

Some schools such as Educate Together and some individual schools foster atmospheres where children are quicker to report it and management more likely to act on reports, but it has nothing to do with fees.

Advertisement