Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin dropped from Euro 2021 host cities

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Great news if honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/uefa-to-cut-dublin-from-euro2021-hosts-on-monday-1.4540834?mode=amp

To be honest given the circumstances I'm not sure it's a great loss and we'll probably get it next time anyway?

What next time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

What next time?

The next Euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

fai Havnt a pot to p1ss in so maybe a blessing in disguise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

2024 Euros is in Germany

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

2024 Euros is in Germany

Ah OK. I thought they moved away from single countries hosting to spread it around cities throughout Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Ah OK. I thought they moved away from single countries hosting to spread it around cities throughout Europe.

Just for this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

Was to be expected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

A line from UEFA statement regarding today’s Super League developments...

‘...at a time when society needs solidarity more than ever’ ��good one UEFA.

Then in the metaphorical next breath ...Dublin can’t guarantee fans lets ditch them.

Hypocrites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

It would be more of a blow if the Ireland team were in the Euros.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The FAI would only lose more money had it taken place ;)

Nunu wrote: »
    A line from UEFA statement regarding today’s Super League developments...

‘...at a time when society needs solidarity more than ever’ ��good one UEFA.

Then in the metaphorical next breath ...Dublin can’t guarantee fans lets ditch them.

Hypocrites.

Welcome to essentially everyone In football unfortunately. It's amazing that the ****ty owners are being so ****ty that fans are being forced to side with ****ty uefa and ****ty fifa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

mikeym wrote: »
    It would be more of a blow if the Ireland team were in the Euros.

Like how the magic money tree appeared when the pandemic started, I'm sure another magic trick would have occured to enable these games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Either way, it will come down to money and keeping sponsors happy, and empty stadiums will not fulfill that criteria.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I think it's for the best not to be hosting this. You get extra Covid risk for none of the benefits; no stadium full of fans, fan zone atmosphere in city, tourists spending money. Everyone would just be sitting at home watching on TV, like in any other European city.

May have felt a bit different if Ireland had qualified though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

The #UEFAExCo was today presented with several options for #EURO2020 matches scheduled to take place in Bilbao, Dublin and Munich where there is currently no confirmed spectators’ attendance.

A final decision is due to be taken on Friday 23 April 2021.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Nunu wrote: »
    The #UEFAExCo was today presented with several options for #EURO2020 matches scheduled to take place in Bilbao, Dublin and Munich where there is currently no confirmed spectators’ attendance.

A final decision is due to be taken on Friday 23 April 2021.

theyll find there way out to Baku or Dubai probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

rob316 wrote: »
    theyll find there way out to Baku or Dubai probably.

No spectators allowed in football in the UAE yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Russian media reporting Dublin's matches are to be played in St. Petersburg

Not UK ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭bennyineire

ebbsy wrote: »
    Not UK ?

Dates clash with the UK so not possible

Apparently Ireland will be the only host to lose all its games. Bilbao games moving to Seville; Munich games staying put as some deal has been reached with the German Govt while Dublin's games going to Wembley (last 16) and the 3 group games to Russia. Disappointing.

Its a bit like the Garth Brooks concerts - they took a look and said no thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Meh. No surprise and no loss.
    Let other countries deal with this circus.

Meh. No surprise and no loss.
    Let other countries deal with this circus.

That is the problem, they can deal with it.

We cannot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Any word on tickets? Had four for the last 16 game. I assume they'll be cancelled but would be delighted to get them for Wembley as I'm over that way now.

EDIT - appears they'll be cancelled but we'll have priority access to tickets for the rearranged game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

That is the problem, they can deal with it.

We cannot.

We were right not to bother. It’s no loss in the circumstances.

Farcical that UEFA didn’t change the venues to a single country or a couple of countries. Also insisting on 25% capacity? Who are they to insist on that?

I’d say we could have hosted the games in Dublin by then with 25 % capacity but (and definitely the government don’t get everything right) in this instance they were spot on.

TheCitizen wrote: »

Farcical that UEFA didn’t change the venues to a single country or a couple of countries. Also insisting on 25% capacity? Who are they to insist on that?

I’d say we could have hosted the games in Dublin by then with 25 % capacity but (and definitely the government don’t get everything right) in this instance they were spot on.

I doubt there was a queue of countries who wanted to take this on themselves at short notice.

Lots of people seem to be forgetting that there was full time jobs behind this. People who have been working on the project for years and are now left with nothing to show for it.

It's so disappointing for those people that years of work and effort has been wasted because of the ineptness of the government to act on the virus when it should have.

• Advertisement

Probably for some financial reason I would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Gutted about this to be honest and while I understand the rationale behind it, it is very disappointing from a football fan perspective.
    I was due to work as a volunteer in the Match Organisation section so it would have been a great experience to see how it all worked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Lots of people seem to be forgetting that there was full time jobs behind this. People who have been working on the project for years and are now left with nothing to show for it.

It's so disappointing for those people that years of work and effort has been wasted because of the ineptness of the government to act on the virus when it should have.

Take that to the COVID thread.
    No government in any country has acted on the virus when they should have as you put it.

It's not that simple.

I think the government would have been accused of being inept if they took a risk on hosting games with only a 25% capacity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Shameful stuff that the country can’t host four matches at 25% capacity in June. 25% of the population has already had at least one dose of a vaccine.

Be a different place in June but instead just ruin everything for everyone.

Probably for some financial reason I would say.

I don’t know how UEFA can insist on making that call at this remove. It’s likely that things will improve by then and I think by then Ireland could host games with 25% capacity at least. However the situation remains precarious, variants may still cause problems. They were right not to take the risk with Ireland not involved in the games anyway.

• Advertisement

I don’t know how UEFA can insist on making that call at this remove. It’s likely that things will improve by then and I think by then Ireland could host games with 25% capacity at least. However the situation remains precarious, variants may still cause problems. They were right not to take the risk with Ireland not involved in the games anyway.

If we're going to continue to be fearful we might as well not host anything ever again. Ban all gatherings and crowds for fear of possible variants. The real issue here is that NPHET and the government don't want any crowds at GAA games this summer so they have to keep the shutters down on Euro 2020 as that would undermine their position on no crowds at all sports this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Its not farcical at all. Changing to a single country at this late stage would have been quite difficult.
    If they can have crowds at all you need to have crowds over certain level to make opening stadiums viable.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Shameful stuff that the country can’t host four matches at 25% capacity in June. 25% of the population has already had at least one dose of a vaccine.

Be a different place in June but instead just ruin everything for everyone.
    Its not that shameful to be fair and while 25% of population may have vaccine at that stage. Its people who arent going to going near this and this being moved wont affect huge proportion of people especially with Ireland not actually playing in the games.
    They have to do it at this stage to make it easier to actually host/run the games in the stadiums. With all extra requirements due to covid you need extra time to plan and put in procedures for match day as well as beforehand to cater for crowds in a covid environment...

[/b]
    Take that to the COVID thread.
    No government in any country has acted on the virus when they should have as you put it.

It's not that simple.

The UAE acted immediately.

The fact that hotel quarantine only just came in says it all. Had they closed the borders at the beginning you could be fairly confident Dublin would be hosting at 25% this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Not even a hint of an attempt at a plan.

We really are run by some desperate no can do cowards.

Absolutely paralysed at this stage.

I think the government would have been accused of being inept if they took a risk on hosting games with only a 25% capacity.

I agree they are making the correct decision for the current circumstances. It shouldn't have come to this though.

• Advertisement

The fact that hotel quarantine only just came in says it all. Had they closed the borders at the beginning you could be fairly confident Dublin would be hosting at 25% this summer.

Case numbers have been low for weeks. Hospitalisations have been low for weeks. Those likely to fall ill to this are mostly vaccinated. These games were two more months away.

I'm really not sure what quarantine in march 2020 has to do with anything at this stage.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Case numbers have been low for weeks. Hospitalisations have been low for weeks. Those likely to fall ill to this are mostly vaccinated. These games were two more months away.

I'm really not sure what quarantine in march 2020 has to do with anything at this stage.

There wouldn't have been such a prolonged lockdown that has the government fearing opening up.

Anyway, as someone mentioned this isn't a Covid thread. The comments of "ah sure we weren't playing in it anyway" is taking a very narrow view of it. I'm thinking of those I know that will be heartbroken with this news.

There wouldn't have been such a prolonged lockdown that has the government fearing opening up.

Anyway, as someone mentioned this isn't a Covid thread. The comments of "ah sure we weren't playing in it anyway" is taking a very narrow view of it. I'm thinking of those I know that will be heartbroken with this news.

This government of ours know no other approach but lockdown.

They are pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Nationally case numbers are lower - but Dublin (where the stadium is...) - is staying higher, never falling too far below 170 - 200 cases per day. Compared to somewhere like Cork which is averaging less than 10% of that. Dublin’s only 3 times more populous, there’s no way those numbers should still be that high, but they are. So I can see why they’re reluctant to bet on Dublin getting better without knowing for sure this far in advance. And it was a decision with a deadline, so there’s not much they could do imo.

Especially when you look at what happened when they last tried to appease people at Christmas, and the UK variant numbers exploded in a matter of weeks, and almost broke the back of the health service. I think the way that happened really spooked them, and they’re being extra cautious since, especially being so close to the end.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Nationally case numbers are lower - but Dublin (where the stadium is...) - is staying higher, never falling too far below 170 - 200 cases per day. Compared to somewhere like Cork which is averaging less than 10% of that. Dublin’s only 3 times more populous, there’s no way those numbers should still be that high, but they are. So I can see why they’re reluctant to bet on Dublin getting better without knowing for sure this far in advance. And it was a decision with a deadline, so there’s not much they could do imo.

Especially when you look at what happened when they last tried to appease people at Christmas, and the UK variant numbers exploded in a matter of weeks, and almost broke the back of the health service. I think the way that happened really spooked them, and they’re being extra cautious since, especially being so close to the end.

Hospitalisations have been failing consistently in Dublin.

Greater population and population densities will inevitably result in higher case numbers.

Dublin isn't one big amorphous blob either. The outbreaks of covid in Dublin tend to be concentrated.

These matches, (not that I care much about them for what they are but they are a bellwether for our ambitions going into the summer), are in two months time. That's an age.

Hospitalisations have been failing consistently in Dublin.

Greater population and population densities will inevitably really in higher case numbers.

Dublin isn't one big amorphous blob either. The outbreaks of covid in Dublin tend to be concentrated.

The point is the numbers have not yet gotten low enough in Dublin that it can’t be ignited again by just a few bad decisions. 25% stadium capacity runs the risk of being a bad decision with a low net benefit. Like, if there was no Euros at all - would anyone think there was any possibility of an event with 10,000 people at it happening in June. Not a hope. And rightly so - we’ve a lot of other opening phases to go through before we launch into gatherings in the thousands and tens of thousands.

Don’t get me wrong - I’m not happy with how things are handled. I’m especially not happy to have been on total lockdown most of the time since January despite living in a county with only ~15 cases a day. But on this one, on balance, it’s the right thing to do given the UEFA demands.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    The point is the numbers have not yet gotten low enough in Dublin that it can’t be ignited again by just a few bad decisions. 25% stadium capacity runs the risk of being a bad decision with a low net benefit. Like, if there was no Euros at all - would anyone think there was any possibility of an event with 10,000 people at it happening in June. Not a hope. And rightly so - we’ve a lot of other opening phases to go through before we launch into gatherings in the thousands and tens of thousands.

Peoples issue here is there is no phases.

We had a roadmap that was torn up and rewritten numerous times.
    Last year each county had an individual level and a few months later we're back to the whole country having to slog together.

It doesn't make sense that we have to be so different , but it's hardly surprising when we're heading for 6 months of straight "stay at home" instructions.

Peoples issue here is there is no phases.

We had a roadmap that was torn up and rewritten numerous times.
    Last year each county had an individual level and a few months later we're back to the whole country having to slog together.

It doesn't make sense that we have to be so different , but it's hardly surprising when we're heading for 6 months of straight "stay at home" instructions.

Totally agree with all this, entirely. Imo that’s just a different issue than suddenly allowing 10,000+ people at an event. I’m annoyed about the former, while cancelling the latter seems common sense.

Even just the risk of an increase, leading to further lockdowns - I will happily take being able to play 5-a-side again over hosting a national event. And if there’s even the tiniest possibility of that event sparking enough worry that I lose (or don’t gain) my small simple things, then I don’t want it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Covid rates in Ireland are much lower than most of mainland Europe at the moment, including most of the countries hosting this.

There's just little value in the grand scheme of things in hosting this. It carries risk - both in health and economic terms, for very little gain. There's far more important things that should be allowed happen before an event like this. That's what the decision is based on, nothing got to do with Covid rates.

You mention hotel quarantine as if it's a no-brainer, but nowhere in mainland Europe is doing that - it also would have prevented teams from playing here anyway as their players/officials would have to quarantine. They don't just all get exemptions.

Amirani wrote: »
    Covid rates in Ireland are much lower than most of mainland Europe at the moment, including most of the countries hosting this.

There's just little value in the grand scheme of things in hosting this. It carries risk - both in health and economic terms, for very little gain. There's far more important things that should be allowed happen before an event like this. That's what the decision is based on, nothing got to do with Covid rates.

You mention hotel quarantine as if it's a no-brainer, but nowhere in mainland Europe is doing that - it also would have prevented teams from playing here anyway as their players/officials would have to quarantine. They don't just all get exemptions.

I was saying it should have been done at the beginning. Not a year later...

• Advertisement
Advertisement