Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help in improving garden roadside view

Options
  • 18-04-2021 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Logo

Hi. I'm new to gardening and trying to improve a roadside garden appearance. To me the look appears a bit over-grown and natural but does need a bit of a clean-up. Does this mean hand-pulling grass blade by blade? I've already gone through it to remove brambles and thistles. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks

Comments

Is this on your property or outside? If it's a roadside verge please leave alone, brambles and thistles don't just give a natural look, they are enormously important for all sorts of wildlife. And if it is public, and is being cut back for aesthetic rather than safety reasons, that would be an offence.

I'm not trying to jump on you or anything, but please bear the above in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

If it was me trying to improve the area there I'd just take a manual hedge clippers and cut back the dead stems and maybe reduce the height of some of the grass at the same time. There looks to be red valerian shooting up new growth and I'd be careful to let the fresh growth on this to continue to grow as it should start to produce some nice flowers soon.

Happy gardening!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭standardg60

Yep leave it alone and try to appreciate it, you'd be fighting a losing battle anyway, there are some perennials in your pics which will provide plenty of colour through the season.

• Keep it clean of litter and plastic that would be the most helpful thing to do !

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Logo

Thanks for the replies. By the way I tried to add pics but boards has some limit on pic size. Yes blaris - it's in my garden but it is facing to the roadside. I agree that the natural look is better but maybe it could do with a bit of a cleanup. BTW it's not that natural as it was planted by previous owners over the past 30 years. I just want to maintain it as natural as possible but also keep it in check.

• Advertisement
Advertisement