Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B & B in Blackrock 25 - 30 Years Ago

Options
  • 17-04-2021 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Seems a bit unusual resurrecting a thread that's over six years old but hoping someone from or familiar with Blackrock can assist. It's an enquiry on behalf of my father. Around 25 to 30 years ago there was a B and B in an estate close to the Newtown Park Avenue area around a five to ten minute walk from Newpark Comprehensive School. Not sure how long thereafter the B and B was operational or whether it's still a going concern. The number on the house was definitely 57 and if anyone could provide further details re an address Dad would be much obliged. Genuine reason for enquiring. An advance thanks for any help given.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Seems a bit unusual resurrecting a thread that's over six years old but hoping someone from or familiar with Blackrock can assist. It's an enquiry on behalf of my father. Around 25 to 30 years ago there was a B and B in an estate close to the Newtown Park Avenue area around a five to ten minute walk from Newpark Comprehensive School. Not sure how long thereafter the B and B was operational or whether it's still a going concern. The number on the house was definitely 57 and if anyone could provide further details re an address Dad would be much obliged. Genuine reason for enquiring. An advance thanks for any help given.

You'd be more likely to get replies in the Dublin County South forum :)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=893

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Google Streetview may give you some clues.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Thread moved to Dublin County South.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

You could try finding it in a Thoms Street Directory. Not sure if the ones from the 80s are online but you are very likely to get a copy in a library.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

1980 and 1986 are online but not well OCRed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Fifi18

Randomly just came across this. I think you may be talking about my family’s B&B! We had one at 57 Avondale court around then which then relocated to Stillorgan. Might this be the one?!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Sacramentum

Fifi18 wrote: »
    Randomly just came across this. I think you may be talking about my family’s B&B! We had one at 57 Avondale court around then which then relocated to Stillorgan. Might this be the one?!

Hi. Thanks very much for reply. It's a small world. Did the B and B have a name or was it known simply by your family name? The reason Dad remembers the number of the house was that 57 was also the number of the house he lived in when he first moved to New Ross.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Fifi18

Hi. Thanks very much for reply. It's a small world. Did the B and B have a name or was it known simply by your family name? The reason Dad remembers the number of the house was that 57 was also the number of the house he lived in when he first moved to New Ross.

It was called ‘Askill’

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Following! There's a story here

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Sacramentum

Fifi18 wrote: »
    It was called ‘Askill’

Thanks very much for all assistance given. It's been a huge help. Stay safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭donaghs

This was on a Stillorgan Facebook group -Askill Stillorgan Grove

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Was the one on Stillorgan Grove 4/5 houses in from Stillorgan Park?

Advertisement