Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is it like this?

Options
  • 19-04-2021 4:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭

Looking at removing a load baring wall. I often see it done like attached. Is there some reason it cannot be done so ceiling is flat and no beam showing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Picture

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭volono

I presume an r s j. was put in the walls place, so as to support the weight, don't think there's a way round it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Looking at removing a load baring wall. I often see it done like attached. Is there some reason it cannot be done so ceiling is flat and no beam showing?

It can be done either way but installing a beam flush/so it can't be seen is usually more costly and more disruptive the structure above....usually involves cutting floor joists to be beam in/up and pinning the wall above with preops though the floor.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Picture

Quite simply, cost.

To flush Mount the beam, means you have to cut and notch each joists so it more labour intensive. I always tell people to donut as in 2 years time you’ll be kicking yourself looking at it everyday while the difference in cost paid for a kitchen table that can be bought at any other time.

Flush and forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

DOCARCH wrote: »
    It can be done either way but installing a beam flush/so it can't be seen is usually more costly and more disruptive the structure above....usually involves cutting floor joists to be beam in/up and pinning the wall above with preops though the floor.

I can understand that but in this case the joists don't connect to the wall. It is only load bearing for the wall above it. Actually thinking it might be cheaper and cleaner to remove entire wall. Then put in a patrician wall up stairs from where wall is removed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

Have a look in your attic first. You might find the wall upstairs is supporting the roof.

Advertisement