Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things dat Trivyully Annoy You (part whatever) *MOD WARNING IN OP* NEW

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

In the bible, Mary and Joseph made the trek from Nazareth to Bethlehem, the ancient city of David, for the census because Joseph was from the House Of David.

These days they make it easier by getting a census enumerator to call to your house with a census form for you to fill out, and to help you with any questions you have about it.

I think you're from Scotland, and in the UK, the Census takes place every 10 years rather than every 5, so you wouldn't have been as aware of them, and your parents would have filled them out for the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I'm feeling very ranty today so I'm going to do a few posts in row for the different rants.

Firstly, in a takeaway/cafe/restaurant - RTFM!

It seems like a simple concept - they provide a menu of what they do sell. If it's not on there, they likely don't sell it. But the amount of morons that just walk in and order what they want.... This isn't CookWhatDarrenWants Takeaway - read the sodding menu!

Saw a guy in the takeaway today walk in and ask for a burger, then on being asked for money immediately saying "Oh, I've left my wallet in the car!" Could happen to anyone I suppose, but not a great start. Then he asks for "chicken". What kind of **** chicken you moron. Do you walk into the pub and ask for "beer"? The lady behind the counter told him the three different kinds of chicken they sell, but this seems to be too much for his little brain, so first he orders a fourth kind that isn't on the menu, then cancels his chicken order, and tries to change his burger order to a type of burger they didn't have. This whole interaction should have been ten times shorter after reading the menu. I'm not saying we should cull the stupid people, but maybe remove the warning labels and let nature take it's course....

Bonus mini rant on leaving your wallet in the car. The amount of people that leave their purse/wallet/valuables in an UNLOCKED car always amazes me. I don't think these should even be included in the crime statistics - it's just a tax on stupid people.

Rant number two is about a lady at the Cobh Cross Roundabout. She started in the left lane, speared right across the center of the roundabout, causing a Merc in the right hand lane to brake sharply, and took the second exit. The Merc didn't even beep at her. This moron probably does this every day and is oblivious to whatever carnage happens to occur around her.

Rant three is about an unexpected westbound closure of the Jack Lynch Tunnel and the traffic chaos around it. I think I was relatively luck in passing shortly after it happened, but traffic was rapidly coming to a standstill in all directions.

Mainly ranting about people not seeing what is happening and reacting to it. I saw people just sitting looking at the closed tunnel in front of them, without taking the left for Little Island and getting the fupp out of the way.

I actually wanted to stop my car and move some of the traffic cones there for the construction to try and make it obvious what to do, and apart from maybe changing the information signs around the junction that was probably all that could be done, but of course in this day and age I'd probably be sued by somebody who had a tip. Really though - it's not complicated - could people not figure it out instead of just sitting there?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Post edited by New Home on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The census ad from the tv gives a, brief, explanation.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

TA that I can't tell when people are being serious or ripping the piss. A life long curse I'll never shake lol

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

We're not taking the piss. Look it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I was just trying to be helpful! But I understand how you feel, especially in After Hours. 😀

And funnily enough, a woman just came to my door a few minutes ago with the census form. I paused the telly to answer the door, then she gave her little explanation, gave me the form, and when I got back to the telly, it was only paused for 2 and half minutes. Filling out the form won't be as quick.

The only annoying thing about the encounter was, after asking for my surname (for reference), she said "And it's just yourself in the house?". As if I couldn't have a wife and kids, or some housemates or whatever!! 😠

"Yeah, it's just me...". 😥 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Well maybe if you weren't badly drunk, she might think others would be willing to live with you 😜😜😜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Circle K is trending on Twitter due to their fuel prices. I was scrolling down through their mentions of Circle K and one of the posts was a video by some naked middle aged guy licking the toilet seat in a Circle K. F*cking disgusting!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I've got a tiny bit of grit under my eyelid. Every time I blink, ouch!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Aaaannndd I just got my census form - the poor divil was sorta hassled looking.

There's a bit of filling out in it

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Yeah I moved to Ireland when I was 15 (2004). I first moved out in 2012 but moved back in within the year. I didn't move out again until 2020. So this is all new to me. Wasn't told a thing about it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Looking for a photographer for our wedding in over a year's time. Have delegated it to the fiancé as she loves photography and she is having a back and forth with a contender, who is trying to dictate what WE should be doing on OUR day.

I thought she'd schedule it around us, but nope. She'd rather devise her own itinerary of the day, without knowing that I am the most organised person around, and have already booked the church and arrival at the venue to account for our own punctuality and travel time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

My toasters inconsistent toasting, it's always left on the same number but sometimes it pops and the bread is hardly toasted or its nearly black

Post edited by PsychoPete on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I'm sooo wrecked this morning that all I want to do is fine a quiet corner in work so I can curl up and sleep 😴 I've also got a long rant about one of my colleagues winding me up at lunchtime yesterday but I'm too tired to type it 😅 I'll get to it later though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,658 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I quite like filling out the census form. I'm a bit of a sap that way, I like surveys and questionnaires and stuff.

Today's TA is that I have a hard stop at 3pm (our nominal Friday finish time) cause I've to be sitting down to dinner in a fancy restaurant at 5.30 so need to get ready, into town etc. I haven't even started work yet and already I can see the day spiralling out of control.

If I've to log in over the weekend I will not be a happy chappy.

• Advertisement

TA that I try so hard to be organised but there's always one person who isn't happy enough.

Case in point (as first-world problematic as it sounds, but it's important to me), my stag is coming up in May, and it's in Glasgow. I'm not a very organised person and I get easily stressed by forms, booking things, paperwork, anything involving filling things out and organising things - I can't do it without help. All my friends back home know this, as well as my entire family and some friends I have here.

I wasn't gonna start planning on what activities to do over the weekend of my stag until the end of this month, leading into April, because in my mind it'll be fresh in everyone's head between then and the date.

I was told by my brother-in-law that flights to Glasgow are really cheap at the moment, and said it'd be a good idea to get everyone to try and book their flights between now and the next couple of weeks just to get the ball rolling. So I wrote it in the group chat.

One friend in that group - a dear friend I've known since 2007 - I love him to bits but he's stressing me out right now.

So after I told everyone that we should try and book some cheap flights to Glasgow Airport soon, everyone said "no bother lad" etc., etc., the aforementioned friend then wrote; "How much is accommodation, activities? What are the activities? WHATS THE PLAN? Am I going to be stuck in Glasgow Airport for two days???" I said I'm working on it, he replied: "Let me know when you do! I need to know the full cost before booking anything "

I don't know what else to do so I crumbled into a mess of anxiety. My missus said she'll sit with me tomorrow and go through everything, and I've asked my friends in Glasgow to gimme a hand organising everything because I'm really struggling to do this on my own and the other fella just isn't making it easy right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

I'm the same. Love filling out forms so I always enjoy the census. I'm very jealous that everyone down south gets to put in a little Time Capsule message too.

TA - I just lost my streak in Wordle. I am quite annoyed.

The best man usually is the one to organise everything. 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Yup Imo they are trying to get us into a war of any description. I wonder how much our lives/live hoods are worth to them?

Ta, almost finished the second longest part of my thesis, once that is finished there are at least 4 more bits that need writing that is of no interest to anyone at all. Never. Freaking. Ending

Post edited by Bredabe on

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

When I was best man at my brother's wedding, the sacristan came up to me and started poking me in the ribs looking for his 'payment'........."I was looking to head off early and catch the match, y'know".

It honestly would have been crass enough at any stage, but it was on the altar, DURING the wedding, while I still had the rings held out in front of me....about 30 seconds before I had to present them to be blessed. The only thing that stopped me from knocking him out was the fear of causing a scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Cause I cant switch off the banner headlines in MSN I've moved to a different search engine which of course doesn't remember anything of my site preferences or passwords.

Ta I cant remember those passwords either.

For some reason I need to click different sign in buttons to get on here and if I forget, and click on the wrong one I get a message telling me to slow down(currently will draw the same reactions as "calm down")😡

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

It would certainly have made it a wedding to remember, if you did!

Very very rude of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,301 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

House across the road got planning permission to knock their garage and build a new childcare facility… grand..but day one of knocking and building commenced yesterday and while at this point the ‘work’ isn’t an audible distraction or annoyance to any degree… it seems just to be preparatory works thus far, the fact that builders who are only standing feet from each other, need to roar at each other to communicate when there is no ‘working noise’ or else are laughing like demented gibbons every two seconds ….lunch now and glad of silence but all morning..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

@Strumms And that’s just the beginning of the nightmare. I can’t think of anything worse than a childcare facility next to my home, so you have my sympathies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,301 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’m surprised permissions were granted but the schtick the last couple of years is approve anything and everything…. Problem is going to be when the parents are dropping off and collecting… there are about in general 2-3 free spaces to park on road… it’s a generally older area so retirees have cars just outside their places… probably going to have cars blocking gates now as it might be too ‘inconvenient’ to walk little Michael or Mandy around to the main road.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement