Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things dat Trivyully Annoy You (part whatever) *MOD WARNING IN OP* NEW

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

It should really go without saying at this point but you don't need to call someone to tell them that you're going to email them. *sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    It should really go without saying at this point but you don't need to call someone to tell them that you're going to email them. *sigh*

Haha.. so true. In a similar vain, I've a friend who always messages saying 'Hey! Can i call you?'
    She lives in Canada and often our timelines don't match, I'm going to bed as she's on her second glass of vino. Regardless, she'll call seconds later. I dont think ive ever had the time to respond and say actually heading to bed.
    It's so annoying.
    If I don't answer, I'll get...missed ya there! Will try again later followed by a series of nemes and pictures of wine etc as her night progresses.
    Love her to bits but this drives me bat**** nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Watching my wife absolutely butcher a soft bap by opening it with a paring knife, while a breadknife sat unused in the bock right in front of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Wooden cutlery, absolutely cursed mouthfeel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

People who think the ROI June bank holiday weekend is the coming weekend (May 29/30)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

"Will you remind me to...."

No. I fcuking won't. How about you write it down. Stick a note in your phone. Or just remember yourself.

The eternally offended crew nowadays. God, take me back to the 90's where there wasn't a push for everyone to be uniform and compliant with what's considered acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

That my workplace is like a tomb except for windows on the other side of the unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

The eternally offended crew nowadays. God, take me back to the 90's where there wasn't a push for everyone to be uniform and compliant with what's considered acceptable.

I think they worst are the ones who take offence on behalf of others :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I'm into the last year of my 5-year contract at work. I have just under 12 months to find another job. They let the other team member go as there was no funding for him so I know what's coming. All manageable but now my boss wants to do my appraisal next month. It's just all so pointless.

Not the biggest fan of Ricky Gervais but he really nailed appraisals.

I'm into the last month of my contract, that I was told last week can't be renewed. Have been in complete "wind-down" mode in work since.

Knew it was coming anyway, but the worst thing I ever done was tell my mother as she has been bugging me about it ever since. "Are you looking for a job?". "What do you have in mind?"

Eff off, I'm a grown ass man that will do it at my own pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

So i brought 4 tshirts and two sweaters a week ago .. on examining two of the tshirts when i get home they despite being the same size as the two that fit perfectly are WAY too small... back today to exchange them... young guy is asked to go out back to find the bigger sizes by the lady on the till....he arrives back with a bag... ive stepped away from the busy Q with covid etc.. he hands me the bag and informs me the reciept is in the bag with eveŕything.... home now... instead of getting back a plain navy blue tshirt with orange trim and a tiny logo... i have a pearl white Tshirt with the logo of the fashion label emblazoned in gold ! All the ways accross the chest...Like somthing even snoop dog would think twice about getting out of the house in...its that fùcking garish...

Can employers just stop employing fùcking disinterested useless gimps who cant see straight.. think straight and in this clowns situation walk straight...without some prompting and remedial help... jesus... PEOPLE !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm into the last year of my 5-year contract at work. I have just under 12 months to find another job. They let the other team member go as there was no funding for him so I know what's coming. All manageable but now my boss wants to do my appraisal next month. It's just all so pointless.

I'm pretty sure that after 5 years on contract, that you are legally entitled to a full time contract, if you want it.
    You'd be entitled to redundancy if they refuse.

I'm open to correction on this but I'm pretty sure that you have full employment rights after 3 years, irrespective of what your contract says.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Strumms wrote: »
    ...young guy is asked to go out back to find the bigger sizes by the lady on the till....he arrives back with a bag... ive stepped away from the busy Q with covid etc.. he hands me the bag and informs me the reciept is in the bag with eveŕything.... home now... instead of getting back a plain navy blue tshirt with orange trim and a tiny logo... i have a pearl white Tshirt with the logo of the fashion label emblazoned in gold ! All the ways accross the chest...Like somthing even snoop dog would think twice about getting out of the house in...its that fùcking garish...

I'm not laughing at your TA, honestly, but that description has me in knots here! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

I'm going to have to ring the Dr again this week.
    The side of my face has blown up.
    From my jaw to my ear is very sore.
    This will be my 4 th time up there this week.They might as well give me a job there.😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,728 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm pretty sure that after 5 years on contract, that you are legally entitled to a full time contract, if you want it.
    You'd be entitled to redundancy if they refuse.

I'm open to correction on this but I'm pretty sure that you have full employment rights after 3 years, irrespective of what your contract says.

No idea actually. It was a fixed term contract with a University. It's not up yet but since they didn't keep the other lad on, I don't know what the story will be. This is in the UK, mind so employment law might be a bit less stringent.

Thanks anyway.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭JDxtra

The same RTE News reports that get repeated year in, year out. For example...

Some couple hired to do a caretaker role on a remote island (same bloody island every year).
    Some moon variation they say is “rare” (blood, pink, blue moon etc. yet we seem to have them all the time?).
    Some sheep or cow giving birth to more offspring than expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,271 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

People who waltz into jobs thanks to family connections and manage to fail upwards.

Also companies who like to call themselves cutesy "family owned", read "nepotism central".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭oneweb

Seanachai wrote: »
    Wooden cutlery, absolutely cursed mouthfeel.

See also: Pressed metal cutlery, often with sharp edges, except the knife, which is blunt as fook. Even eating with bare hands wouldn't cheapen a meal as much.

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭oneweb

Modern plasters.
    Does anyone know how to apply these things without cursing?

They're a three-person job. How the design doesn't consider applying to one's own severed finger baffles me :confused:

It is what it's.

Also companies who like to call themselves cutesy "family owned", read "nepotism central".
    Also meaning that any non-family who is hired will be treated as a second class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

People who waltz into jobs thanks to family connections and manage to fail upwards.

I once had to train up a young lad who was related to the owner. He hadn't a clue and feck all interest. Guess who got my job?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Nepotism is a cancer in this country. I saw it all the time in my old department. Almost every new person that arrived was either a relative or a friend of the boss or one of the seniors.

Anyway, I was in M&S in Drogheda a few weeks ago and picked up a 5 pack of underwear without looking at the price. My overall bill was €72. When I checked the receipt the underwear pack was €36 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭storker

I worked for a small family firm a long time ago. The two directors were father and daughter who used to have big shouting matches right in front of everyone. It often ended with her storming out, but only after she'd unplugged her typewriter, covered it, washed her mug and tidied her desk. The whole process of storming out could take five minutes...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I worked for a web design company once they was run by a husband and wife. I was the only other employee, and also the only person with qualifications and experience in web design and development. Mostly they were fine - very nice people - , but some days if things hadn’t been going so well at home you could cut the atmosphere in the tiny office we shared with a knife. You’d always know you were in for an awkward day if they didn’t turn the radio on when they came in. I only stayed a few months until I got a job with a multi-national paying literally double what they paid.

Actually, looking back I could have taken all their clients and run the show myself, since I did all the design and development work. One of them, who was the boss, only answered the phone and passed the jobs on to me. The other one was forever messing about with meta tags and content in an attempt to SEO one client to the top of the page on a Google search. Then another client in the exact same field would call and look to be put to the top, so he’d do it for them, knocking the first one off the top spot. Then the first client would call back and the cycle would continue.

Anyway, my TA. Kitchen towel that doesn’t tear along the perforations, leaving you with a ragged triangle of the stuff in your hand, and a tattered mess on the roll. I’ve 4 jumbo rolls of this crap to get through now.

When people say things with much and a question mark at the end like, jealous much? or hurt much? I feel like retorting, wanker much? Speak normal English much you bellend? Ah that felt good. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭storker

wanker much?

Brilliant. Prepare to be plagiarised. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,271 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

storker wrote: »
    I worked for a small family firm a long time ago. The two directors were father and daughter who used to have big shouting matches right in front of everyone. It often ended with her storming out, but only after she'd unplugged her typewriter, covered it, washed her mug and tidied her desk. The whole process of storming out could take five minutes...

Worked for a company where one of them continually bad mouthed the rival firm, in the same town, run by relatives they had fallen out with half a century ago.

Other TA. Irish media and their constant facination with the "misery slot", rare disease of the week, HSE screw up of the week etc.

People saying Happy Birthday to dead people on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

oneweb wrote: »
    They're a three-person job. How the design doesn't consider applying to one's own severed finger baffles me :confused:

I've had a break through of sorts.
    When you remove the plaster from the little packet, take off the extra film on the outside of the plaster before trying to apply it. You are then left with a pretty normal plaster with just two backing yokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

My ex commenting on how I'm making breakfast. Oh i wouldn't put so much cheese in while you're breastfeeding...
    You wouldn't? Well that's good to know Annsley Harriett..I'll hire you next time im throwing a banquet..but for now, i managed to make a baby so i think i can manage an omelette 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I've had a break through of sorts.
    When you remove the plaster from the little packet, take off the extra film on the outside of the plaster before trying to apply it. You are then left with a pretty normal plaster with just two backing yokes.
    Right, that's it. If you look at the instructions on the box, or even on the outer wrapping of the plaster, in some cases, they explain exactly in what order the backings should be removed. it's usually: first remove one half of the backing on the sticky side - apply that to the skin.Then slowly peel off the other side, applying it as you go. You only remove the backing film last, that's there for support as the plaster itself is usually too flimsy to support itself. if you apply it to a finger where the two sides overlap, then you can remove half of the backing film after that part of the plaster is in place, so you can go around with the other side and stick it without trapping the backing film.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement