Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things dat Trivyully Annoy You (part whatever) *MOD WARNING IN OP* NEW

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Service people who prioritise a customer phoning in over the customer standing right in front of them.

Happened just now in a local cafe where I was ordering food. Walked in, was greeted but just as I was about to place my order, the phone rang. She answered it and I had to wait while she took their order.
    Why do people do this?

A few years ago while in the middle of a consultation with a travel agent, they took a phone call. I just got up and left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Service people who prioritise a customer phoning in over the customer standing right in front of them.

Happened just now in a local cafe where I was ordering food. Walked in, was greeted but just as I was about to place my order, the phone rang. She answered it and I had to wait while she took their order.
    Why do people do this?

A few years ago while in the middle of a consultation with a travel agent, they took a phone call. I just got up and left.

Any time that happens, no matter what it is or how much i may need an item, ill place it down and audibly tell them in some form that if im not important enough ill be off elsewhere, and hoping that call was a wrong number or something. Pi$$es me right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Mundo7976 wrote: »
    Any time that happens, no matter what it is or how much i may need an item, ill place it down and audibly tell them in some form that if im not important enough ill be off elsewhere, and hoping that call was a wrong number or something. Pi$$es me right off.

While I did that in the travel agency, this cafe is local, I love the food and am on very friendly terms with the staff and owners. It annoyed me but not enough to have a row about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭storker

Why do people do this?

I don't see a problem with that. The phone-in customer beat you to the punch, so what? If you had already started to give your order then fair enough but I still would have expected the staff to answer the phone, take a number and promise a callback. I'm curious, what did you expect her to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

storker wrote: »
    I'm curious, what did you expect her to do?

If they had already started interacting with me to take my custom, I'd expect her to treat the phone call exactly the same as she would a person behind me in the queue who started making a loud ringing noise to get their attention. i.e. ignore it until I was dealt with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Rip off Irish pricing.

I bought a second hand bike a couple of weeks back, and decided it might be a good idea to get a little bag for the back of it. The cheapest suitable one I could find on any Irish website was fifty quid! Fifty! Well €48.98, but close enough. They ranged up to €130 for a bag that didn't seem any different that the €50 one in the seconds it took for me to nope out of that. I know there's costs and overheads but ffs!

Amazon.co.uk had a few similar bags all around the €30 mark, that even came with a handy extra carrying strap, but I'm trying to avoid buying off the richest man in the world whose employees need to use food stamps at the moment. I'm kinda trying to avoid buying things from the UK at the moment too.

So I went on ebay and bought a bag from China for €18.50 that looks more functional, and though it doesn't come with an extra carrying strap, I may be able to MacGyver something. It may have been stitched by some minority in a forced labour camp, but odds are all the bags above came from China too....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

The price of hairdressers!! Time to go to a new one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I don't see a problem with that. The phone-in customer beat you to the punch, so what? If you had already started to give your order then fair enough but I still would have expected the staff to answer the phone, take a number and promise a callback. I'm curious, what did you expect her to do?

Had the interaction with the premises based customer not already started when they were greeted? Our vets have a nice compromise I think. If the phone rings when you're there, they answer and ask the person to hold. So they don't lose the customer I guess.

TA I've zero motivation today.:(

If they had already started interacting with me to take my custom, I'd expect her to treat the phone call exactly the same as she would a person behind me in the queue who started making a loud ringing noise to get their attention. i.e. ignore it until I was dealt with.

So, turn away business in order to give you "the proper respect". Why is the customer on the phone less worthy of good service than you?

Antares35 wrote: »
    Had the interaction with the premises based customer not already started when they were greeted? Our vets have a nice compromise I think. If the phone rings when you're there, they answer and ask the person to hold. So they don't lose the customer I guess.

TA I've zero motivation today.:(

No problem with that, and as the customer-in-shop I'd have no problem with the taking the customer's number and promising to call them back. But expecting them to let the phone ring out is just ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

So, turn away business in order to give you "the proper respect". Why is the customer on the phone less worthy of good service than you?

Because he was there first! Take the call order and put it behind the person at the counter.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Face to face gets priority here, I'm afraid. It's much more rude to leave someone standing there than it is to leave the phone ringing. Also, customer in front of you = cash for the business. Phone call could be anything, but the person in front of you wants to spend guaranteed money in your establishment. You're fighting an uphill battle with this one, I'm afraid.

This all brings me on to my TA which is similar.........staff prioritising general tasks and duties over serving customers. The amount of times I've been in somewhere where there's 1 till open and 6 people queuing, while 3 or 4 staff are walking around restocking shelves or folding clothes or sweeping floors etc.......I've definitely walked away in the past for this kind of service. Just leave the bleeding crisp baskets alone for 10 mins and get rid of the queue, pal, you can go back to the meanies when there's nobody around.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,549 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When somebody gives you an ice-cream that you don’t want but there just trying to be nice and unlike a drink can’t sip at it over a period.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,106 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Popped into the office today to tell my colleagues(who have gone above and beyond to support me) that the results for my most troublesome assessment were in and were better than I expected, tho not high enough to be overly happy.

Amongst the chatter was a lone voice saying "I don't know what the fuss is, dyslexics like her, get everything handed to them"

MMM, that must be why it only took 30 hours to do the project, which is 1.5 times the amount of time my non challenged fellow students took to do it.

TA Sour begrudging men(in this case)

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,106 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Emailed my "academic assistant" to show him my feedback, grade and to say how much I appreciated his help this year(he literally kept me sane)

He's not responded to me yet, Im like a teenager checking my emails waiting to see his response.

Ta Im behaving like a teenager over this.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

OH got me a pregnancy pillow which is really sweet but I haven't used it and he's all offended so now I've to use it even though it freaks me out. It's like crawling into a giant vagina. And it make my pillows too high, but is too low without them. Plus I need to wear earplugs because I live near noisy bints, except I can only wear one because if I sleep on my back my baby won't get enough oxygen, but side sleeping pushes the earplug in so far I'm afraid I'll get a perforated eardrum.

It's actually just not even worth sleeping anymore!

Bredabe wrote: »
    Amongst the chatter was a lone voice saying "I don't know what the fuss is, dyslexics like her, get everything handed to them"

That's nasty. Some people never grow up :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

OH got me a pregnancy pillow which is really sweet but I haven't used it and he's all offended so now I've to use it even though it freaks me out. It's like crawling into a giant vagina. And it make my pillows too high, but is too low without them. Plus I need to wear earplugs because I live near noisy bints, except I can only wear one because if I sleep on my back my baby won't get enough oxygen, but side sleeping pushes the earplug in so far I'm afraid I'll get a perforated eardrum.

It's actually just not even worth sleeping anymore!

Keep that pillow!! My DIL and son use it on the floor to sit the baby in ! So handy to have her sat up and be safe !! They have a cushion across the open end and she loves her little nest with her toys

• Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

That's nasty. Some people never grow up :(

A phonecall about 20 minutes ago informing me an uncle of mine in New York passed away suddenly...

Sad for his only daughter my cousin who lost their mother too 18 months ago after a short illness....

also for my mother here whod been missing him a lot... he was a dreadful fecker as a lot of fellas his age for keeping in contact or not keeping in contact even to the point of being quite reclusive following being widowed but there were plans for all them to go over to see him when this covid shìtshow had blown over....

Id been showing her pics from my cousins facebook only the other week and everyone was saying genuinly how great he actually looked...mid 80's but slim tanned and 'well' on the face of it..

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Strumms wrote: »
    A phonecall about 20 minutes ago informing me an uncle of mine in New York passed away suddenly...

Sad for his only daughter my cousin who lost their mother too 18 months ago after a short illness....

also for my mother here whod been missing him a lot... he was a dreadful fecker as a lot of fellas his age for keeping in contact or not keeping in contact even to the point of being quite reclusive following being widowed but there were plans for all them to go over to see him when this covid shìtshow had blown over....

Id been showing her pics from my cousins facebook only the other week and everyone was saying genuinly how great he actually looked...mid 80's but slim tanned and 'well' on the face of it..

Condolences on the loss of your uncle.

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »

That's awful. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭oneweb

TA'd at the very people who bemoan (to their fellow diners but definitely not anyone to do with the place) the fact that their food isn't hot when it arrives at their table in a restaurant, but - just as they start eating at their own place - think nothing of putting the cutlery down and answering a phonecall from a friend or indeed anyone they could just text back with an "I'll call you back".

It is what it's.

Reduced price stickers over cooking instructions, ingredients or - worse still - the product variety/flavour.

It is what it's.

When somebody gives you an ice-cream that you don’t want but there just trying to be nice and unlike a drink can’t sip at it over a period.

TA'd at someone who doesn't realise how blessed they are to have someone kind enough to give them an ice cream!! :p

Wait, I bought... is that you, Dave??

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Calendar-weak people

Traits
    1/ Out of date voicemail messages. You ring them now and get "Hi, you're through to John D. I am on annual leave until 12 April."
    2/ Requesting information or responses by X date (but X date falls on a weekend / non-working day)
    3/ Incorrect / mismatched out of office messages. "I am out of the office until Tuesday 26 May 2021" (Tuesday was the 25th)
    4/ See a poster for an old concert / event which just mentions day and date but not year. Instantly ask "what year is this?" (very easy to look up historic calendars online)
    5/ Don't take bank holidays into account when requesting leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

At training with the team I am involved with this morning. We were at the county's GAA centre of excellence, and there were two other teams training there before us-one of them had loads of chairs outside as a makeshift dressing room as the building itself is closed.

We have a female student helping out with physio and she had her table set up just down from where the other team were. The "legends" from the other team were wolf-whistling, and acting the "lad" well within earshot of her, and I could tell she was quite embarrassed. One of them even shouted "I'm stiff too, can I get a rub", to much hilarity from some (not all) of his team-mates. Of course, no mentor to be seen.

We have instilled a culture of respect of in our group, and anyone would be admonished for behaving that way no matter who he is. Those apes could learn a thing or two about manners.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,065 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Bought a wee pot plant of kalanchoes, and brought them home. A lovely smell in the house yesterday. Can't get a scent of them at all today !.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,065 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

In an unrelated TA. I tried googling some 'adult art' . And on mobile data in the UK it won't show any !! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I'm in a house share, most of the lads are sound, I share with 5 but one takes the utter piss. He is on DA and stays up all night in the living room, drinking and being generally noisy which is directly below my room and he loves the sound of his own voice, that's all I can hear all the time, he always has to talk about something so its absolute constant. He stays up till 7 or 8 in the morning and man I do be in some moods about it. Recently if he's downstairs I turn on my projector as it has a fan so creates the white noise effect to drown him out, but I shouldn't have to do this in first place. I wish there was a way I could report him and have his disability allowance removed.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement

I'm in a house share, most of the lads are sound, I share with 5 but one takes the utter piss. He is on DA and stays up all night in the living room, drinking and being generally noisy which is directly below my room and he loves the sound of his own voice, that's all I can hear all the time, he always has to talk about something so its absolute constant. He stays up till 7 or 8 in the morning and man I do be in some moods about it. Recently if he's downstairs I turn on my projector as it has a fan so creates the white noise effect to drown him out, but I shouldn't have to do this in first place. I wish there was a way I could report him and have his disability allowance removed.

Who is he talking to until that hour? I'd have killed someone like that by now.

TA people who beep coming around corners. Just drop your fúckin speed if you're so concerned about crashing your stupid Noddy car you tool. Destroying the peace and quiet of rural life.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement