Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things dat Trivyully Annoy You (part whatever) *MOD WARNING IN OP* NEW

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭oneweb

That "Open Here >" arrow on meat packets is nothing more than a psychological taunt, right?

It is what it's.

Aphids, they’ve taken over my strawberry and raspberry bushes. Monsters.

Ladybirds!

They might look cute and everything but they are like Freddy Krueger for aphids and will destroy any infestation. You can buy them live over the internet and maybe put up a few of those "insect hotels" to keep them safe from birds etc.
    My tea cups have an indentation in the base. When I take them out of the dishwasher there is always a little pool of water in the indentation.

YES! One of the few daily things that winds me up, but I never thought of including here.
    Spent €960 over that past two weeks getting my 10 year old car ready for the NCT (and timing belt done). Felt a certain amount of satisfaction on Friday that a long list of things had been sorted and the car would hopefully last another year. It’s a big 7 seater, and I really don’t want to be buying another one now.

Today the bonnet release cable snapped. Can’t open the bonnet, so they won’t be able to test it. It’ll be another trip to the garage now on Tuesday, hoping they can fit me in before the test.

We had a 13 year old Seat Ibiza that limped through a few NCTs. After a couple of times where we spent a fortune on repairs prior to passing, I was in the market for a new car and really only wanted it to pass so that I could give it to my niece who was starting out.

The usual garage identified about 4 or 5 things that needed to be replaced but the cost was more than the car was worth. A friend advised me to just test it anyway, and fix whatever got flagged / it failed on. Feckin thing failed on a visual thing only, so got it fixed and re-ssessed within the hour for a pass. Ended up giving it to the niece anyway and she got it through two more NCTs with minimal cost using this method. When it's over a certain age, then spending money on it is just a waste. Test it and address the points it fails on.

TA: Companies should not be allowed to call their packets "easy reseal" if its impossible to seal their packaging back up. I can count on one hand the number of products that can actually be resealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭oneweb

This shyte started on the West Coast US (no surprises there) and got to a point where no one knew wtf anyone was talking about. Just pretend to understand, nod, and respond in kind so as not to look stupid.
    Now they have to run courses on how to weed this largely meaningless babble out.

Print out or email around a few Bullsh!t Bingo pages.

In a similar vein, in the space of 4 minutes I counted 100 "emm, er, ehhh"s from a high-up manager's announcement. I gave up after that (counting and the will to live). Meeting went on for an hour :(

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭von Smallhausen

The incompetent eejits that are Fastway.

Ordered something online for the OH. Arrived into Dublin yesterday and Fastway are delivering...only to get a note in the tracking saying that there will be a slight delay in delivery.
    Apparently those idiots sent the package to the wrong depot....

Not the first time these morons screwed up either...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,413 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Went to get some take away food now from a pub id been semi regularly a customer of over the last 3-4 years.. only to get told " sorry, we no longer do take away, too busy ".... what to you mean you no longer do it and you are too busy, what ? Instead of putting the food on a plate after cooking you put it in a fùcking box.... its easier to do that then seat us... put out cuttlery etc.... it takes less of your effort, space and resources to cook it, box it and hand it over... gimps.

Im guessing they are trying to encourage people in... buying drinks, desserts, starters... wánkers..lost my business 100%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

There's a bird sanctuary in Cork City with signs everywhere asking people to not feed bread to the birds - to feed either vegetables or seeds to them.
    I've never gone there and not seen people feeding bread to the birds.

It's infuriating. Children giving handfuls of grass is fine - the grass is probably good for the animals - but these were grown adults. Giving crappy, sweet biscuits. I have a family member who killed their dog very prematurely by overfeeding her crap. I nearly went up to these people, so annoyed was I, but ultimately decided that the atmosphere was pleasant overall and I didn't want to spoil it for other people. Didn't feel like being a busybody. And the feeders had a, shall we say, hard-faced quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Ladybirds!

They might look cute and everything but they are like Freddy Krueger for aphids and will destroy any infestation. You can buy them live over the internet and maybe put up a few of those "insect hotels" to keep them safe from birds etc.

That website is fab, thanks for the link! Sorry not a TA...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Have a blister right on the very tip of my tongue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Have a blister right on the very tip of my tongue.

Yes, for some reason on the tip is far more annoying than anywhere else on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

cj maxx wrote: »
    Same as the grapes and pears I got , threw most of them. Completely rotten on the underside and taste off

Here you go:

https://www.bordbia.ie/whats-in-season/best-in-season/calendar/july

It's all to do with seasons. We're so used to having everything that we want at any time that we've unfortunately forgotten that not everything grows all year 'round. Of course it does depend where it's sourced from, but everywhere has its seasons.

My TA - people recommending non-Irish supermarkets to buy your fruit & veg from. Support your local fruit & veg shop if you have access to one. The quality will be waaaay better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The plumber said he would be here at 12.

I'm absolutely convinced that the first thing they do in plumber college is confiscate their watches and calendars. Then on graduation, they provide them with a sundial and an Aztec Tōnalpōhualli calendar wheel, but don't tell them how to use them.

Trying to swat at a fly that has gotten behind Venetian blinds

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Google have been asking for my birthday for months now. I finally snapped and told them it's 1/1/1900. I'm now 121 years old. That certainly feels true.

Wait until you are locked out of something and they ask you to verify your date of birth before continuing

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Dramatik

When you get into a taxi and he's waffling away to you and your taking back to him, then suddenly he turns to you says "sorry, I'm on the phone here!"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Wait until you are locked out of something and they ask you to verify your date of birth before continuing

A major thing that annoys me about gmail (aside from the previously mentioned attempts at phishing, esp. your phone number, to confirm that the email address and password you've been using on the very same device for months are actually you) is that age verification: "Oh, we only need it to make sure you're over (insert age here) as per THE LAW!" - Vodafone did the same ages ago, Boards was blocked and I had to go into a Vodafone shop to confirm my age. Now, if you check and see how long I've had "this" account (and I don't mean Boards), you will realise that it's been longer than the minimum age required by LAW - especially considering that I'd have to have been old enough to access a computer, get to the website and type, so you could add at least three-four years to that. For Vodafone especially, my account was a contract which I signed in 1999. Considering that people under 18 cannot sign legally-binding contracts and that I had to bring in a bill in my name as proof of address when I signed up, would you not automatically deduce that I don't need to confirm my age?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Dramatik wrote: »
    When you get into a taxi and he's waffling away to you and your taking back to him, then suddenly he turns to you says "sorry, I'm on the phone here!"

That happens all the time to me here in my home office with my wife. She sits on the other end of the table right in front of me, but we can't see each-other because of the monitors.

Every day I get these questions from her that I shout out the answer to, only for her to stand up with her headset on and point at it while making the shhhhh! gesture.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Going to the freezer and not having cauliflower mash left.
    I was looking forward to it with corned beef and asparagus.
    Now im having salad and its not the same

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Talking about asparagus, you just reminded me - a few weeks ago Lidl had bunches of green asparagus on special offer, so I bought three. Now, I don't know if I've Covid unbeknownst to me, but I found them so disappointing, they tasted like green beans more so than asparagus. In fact, in a blind test I'd have been hard pushed to identify what they were. A bland "greeny-brown" taste is all they could offer. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

Locked myself out of my apartment... again.
    Needed milk so got the baby into the pram despite his best efforts to squirm away, realised as soon as I closed the door that I'd left the keys on the table.
    Milk that should cost 75 cents suddenly cost me 150 euro and a 45 minute wait for a smug locksmith who told me I should try be more careful and always check i have my keys before leaving the apartment.
    Thank you Captain Obvious for pointing that out. Here I was thinking how much fun being locked out with a newborn wailing is 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Looking forward to watching Its a Parks Life on RTE . But its narrated by Baz Ashmawy and I absolutely cannot bear to listen to him .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Porklife wrote: »
    Locked myself out of my apartment... again.
    Needed milk so got the baby into the pram despite his best efforts to squirm away, realised as soon as I closed the door that I'd left the keys on the table.
    Milk that should cost 75 cents suddenly cost me 150 euro and a 45 minute wait for a smug locksmith who told me I should try be more careful and always check i have my keys before leaving the apartment.
    Thank you Captain Obvious for pointing that out. Here I was thinking how much fun being locked out with a newborn wailing is 🙄

That's terrible. I hope you are coping OK. He should have been glad of the work besides lecturing you as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

That's terrible. I hope you are coping OK. He should have been glad of the work besides lecturing you as well.

Thanks Surreptitious. He was a real smug looking dickhead acting like he was doing me some huge favour. I'm paying for the service assclown 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Porklife wrote: »
    Thanks Surreptitious. He was a real smug looking dickhead acting like he was doing me some huge favour. I'm paying for the service assclown 🙄

Hope you asked him for a receipt and gave him a gentle reminder to declare his job for tax purposes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

New Home wrote: »
    Talking about asparagus, you just reminded me - a few weeks ago Lidl had bunches of green asparagus on special offer, so I bought three.

About 30 mins after eating asparagus my wee absolutely stinks. Is it just me?

About 30 mins after eating asparagus my wee absolutely stinks. Is it just me?

Apparently it's a thing. :)

https://www.aurorahealthcare.org/patients-visitors/blog/why-asparagus-makes-your-pee-stink

TA my links never work! :(

Antares35 wrote: »
    Apparently it's a thing.

It is a disgusting thing. The smell is vile. I try to avoid asparagus just because of this.

Antares35 wrote: »
    TA my links never work! :(

Used my mod powers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Used my mod powers ;)

Can you use them so I get a good night's sleep.

Snoozey

Can you use them so I get a good night's sleep.

Snoozey

Not working for me either and my alarm is set for 5:30

• Advertisement

I'd love to get absolutely trollied now on a nice sauvignon blanc, throw in a box of cigarettes too even though smoking is manky and I haven't done it in years. And maybe a few WhatsApp arguments to add to the fear the next day. I've also a craving for petrol, firelighters and coal. Just the smell of all that stuff :)

I don't think pregnancy really suits me. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement