Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things dat Trivyully Annoy You (part whatever) *MOD WARNING IN OP* NEW

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

All the sun we were promised and it's cloudy and dull, it wasn't this overcast in October. :(

Sun splitting the stones here.
    Hottest day of the year, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,047 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Can I call over to yours? I'm reasonably well housetrained and behaved.

Just keep an eye on how much I drink. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

TA at the use of the term "ad hominem" and other such accusations that people would never use in real life, like "disingenuous" and "virtue signalling". Imaging two lads having a row in a pub shouting things like that at each other or demanding links to back up their argument. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,047 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Antares35 wrote: »
    TA at the use of the term "ad hominem" and other such accusations that people would never use in real life, like "disingenuous" and "virtue signalling". Imaging two lads having a row in a pub shouting things like that at each other or demanding links to back up their argument. :D
    Textbook example of a strawman! :p

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

There's a mingling of individually good smells that come every day from my neighbours' house: dinner cooking and laundry drying. However, the two together are absolutely rank. It's like eating a dinner that tastes of washing powder or doing a wash with gravy and flowers. I have to keep the windows closed or it'd make me sick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

TA'd at the number of times I've read online articles saying 'Formally' when the writer obviously meant 'Formerly'.

Saw an advert earlier for a property for sale. It was described as formally a school-house :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,413 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

No sun but hot and humid as fûck,, making an afternoon cocktail.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Strumms wrote: »
    making an afternoon cocktail.

Best to be safe, alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

We recently got ourselves a new couch and we want to sell off the previous one so we can get another couch that matches the new one.

So far there've been nothing but time-wasters, telling us that they're interested, then asking to come at times we're not going to be home, then not willing to agree to a time that suits everyone.

Then there was a lady who expressed interest, organised a date and time to come look at it, then when the day came, we were sitting like a couple of eejits getting no reply from her, wasting 3 hours of the day when we could've went off and done other things. She eventually got back to us and said "sorry I'm not interested anymore". I replied with "You could've let us know at the time" and she responded with a thumbs up. Arséhole.

The latest one was literally 10 minutes ago, causing me to just vent it on here not only because of how annoying it is, but because of how weird and stupid the idea is.

So this woman expressed interest in the couch. This is how the conversation went;
    Buyer
    Would I be able to have a look at it please, any day this week please

Me
    Any day during the week up until 12pm, as nobody is going to be home at that time. Weekends are more flexible.

Buyer
    Where abouts are you?

Me
    *housing estate mentioned*

Buyer
    Where is that?

Me
    Just out of the city centre

Buyer
    I don't have a car, maybe do a video call have a look that way. I have to get a man with a van to collect it.

I have a few questions.
    1. Why did she express interest if she couldn't get to my house to look at it?
    2. Why is she asking where abouts my housing estate is when Google Maps is embedded into any phone?
    3. Why is she expressing interest if she can't get to our housing estate without a vehicle?
    4. What was she expecting? Us to bring the couch to her?
    5. Why does she want to video call me to look at the couch that way? Does she want me to simulate what sitting on a couch feels like? There are about 3 or 4 photos of the couch itself, different angles and zoom levels. There's only so much you can do here. What would a video call solve??

The missus said she'll do the video call with her if she really wants one.

I'm just baffled at the fact this lady has expressed interest in the couch but has only just realised she has no way to physically go and see it herself. I don't understand what it was she was expecting.

TA at....whatever this problem even is.... I'm annoyed at the level of stupidity involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭Archeron

When you're buying a coffee or something small, and paying by card but their card machine has a crappy internet connection. You're standing there waiting for "receiving " to change to the value so you can pay and it takes about 20 seconds to connect as you're staring at it.

0.000013 seconds after the value appears, the cashier says, move the card closer, as if you are some kind of dope who's never done it before.
    I wasn't standing here waiting because I'm stupid, it's because you have a crap internet connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Archeron wrote: »
    When you're buying a coffee or something small, and paying by card but their card machine has a crappy internet connection. You're standing there waiting for "receiving " to change to the value so you can pay and it takes about 20 seconds to connect as you're staring at it.

0.000013 seconds after the value appears, the cashier says, move the card closer, as if you are some kind of dope who's never done it before.
    I wasn't standing here waiting because I'm stupid, it's because you have a crap internet connection.

Hate this!!

I had this happen to me in a shop once and the person behind the till tried to tell me it was my card being declined. She tried rubbing the contact point on the card and even suggested I use a different card. Only for another staff member to point out that their machines have been dodgy all day I would've been standing there arguing with this person trying to convince me it was my problem.

Had to take cash out and come back. "I'm so sorry", yeah, fcuk off :pac:

It also happened when I was in a taxi. The guy would not let me leave the car until the machine connected to my card. I ended up telling him I'd ring up and pay for it over the phone, which he didn't want me to do. 5 minutes later I was late for work and ended up paying over the phone anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Itchy skin

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Me
    Any day during the week up until 12pm, as nobody is going to be home at that time. Weekends are more flexible.

Buyer
    Where abouts are you?

Me
    *housing estate mentioned*

Buyer
    Where is that?

Me
    Just out of the city centre

People sussing out when the house is going to be empty?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Antares35 wrote: »

And multi quoting at one another! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Booked Friday off work to spend the day going for nice drives around the country. Couldn't do it over he weekend as I had other plans. I end up having a bout of insomnia on Thursday night and only got about two hours sleep. Had to cancel my day because I wasn't in a fit state to drive all day and I was so tired I wouldn't have enjoyed it anyway.

F*cking insomnia!

And multi quoting at one another! :D

And shouting "so what you're saying is (insert what person wasn't saying)" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Was a couple of days before they reopened more retail a few weeks ago.

Saw in the local Tesco that they removed the wrapping from the toy aisle so had a look. Barrier was still up but there was a small lego set that my three year old would like and at a great price so I grabbed it.

Went to self serve and it scanned but the woman looking after the self scan spot next door shouted across that I can't buy toys yet. The nice woman at the self serve had to tell take it off me!

Seriously, how was I going to spread Covid by completing my transaction. What a miserable yoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

My WiFi doesn't reach my bed fully, most of the time it's fine but the signal always drops when I'm watching a video or streaming something

Had my covid vax Friday and was delighted to finally get it of course but it floored me completely and I spent about 80% of the weekend asleep. And now it's Monday again...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Big egos especially men who need a league of 'fans' to justify themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

Big egos especially men who need a league of 'fans' to justify themselves.

with ya.. few things worse than an insecure man.. (from a woman's pov of course)... PS - insecure men, please don't tale offence :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Meeting a new colleague on a new zoom like platform, I sign in using their link and see the message about waiting for the other party.
    We gat passed the meeting time and the message is still there and no changes on screen, after ten mins I downsize the screen and go to work on another doc as the sound is on.

Another ten mins pass and I go back to the meeting and there he is, saying he was just going to call me as I wasn't on screen!

Twenty mins late and its MY fault I wasn't waiting on screen for them(in the middle of a work day) apparently!

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Since the re-opening of outdoor hospitality, there already seems to be an increase in parents bringing their children to pubs. Because all us other patrons just love it.

Yesterday I was getting a bite to eat and a few drinks in the local with the GF, and it was rampant. One little one was having a temper tantrum the entire time she was there, two others were weaving in and around tables playing chase and another toddler starting freaking out over a dog, which was asleep in the shade minding its own business.

The worst thing is, there doesn't seem to be any parenting anymore. When I was younger, if any of us acted up in public, we'd be swiftly brought home, no questions asked. I remember it happening a few times. Now though, chaps have a full reign of terror to annoy other patrons.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Since the re-opening of outdoor hospitality, there already seems to be an increase in parents bringing their children to pubs. Because all us other patrons just love it.

Yesterday I was getting a bite to eat and a few drinks in the local with the GF, and it was rampant. One little one was having a temper tantrum the entire time she was there, two others were weaving in and around tables playing chase and another toddler starting freaking out over a dog, which was asleep in the shade minding its own business.

The worst thing is, there doesn't seem to be any parenting anymore. When I was younger, if any of us acted up in public, we'd be swiftly brought home, no questions asked. I remember it happening a few times. Now though, chaps have a full reign of terror to annoy other patrons.

There are plenty of good parents too . Not all parents are like that . I say opposite a couple with two small kids who sat and are and behaved .

Back in my day I tells ya *shakes fist at sky angrily* :pac:

You'd wonder why they even bother. Only a few days ago sitting at the dinner table with OH and the little one beside us in her highchair, flinging food onto the floor, down her top, trying to throttle herself with a bib while simultaneously flinging her beaker at the dog (who has learned that under the highchair is the best place for scraps), I told him how I just couldn't be tempted to bring her out in public and try to clean up that kind of mess and shenanigans while out and about :D

Maybe for older kids it's ok. To me it just seems like too much stress right now! And I don't believe you get used to noise as a parent. Ours is 13 months and my ears still bleed when she starts :)

TA said 13 month old woke us at 4am and now I'm exhausted trying to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Had a dream last night that our CEO fired me in front of everyone on our monthly all-employees Teams meeting.

I woke up straight after it, and spent the next 2 hours half asleep trying to rewind the meeting recording in my head, so I could figure out why I was fired.

Finally I woke up fully, very tired and angry at an injustice that had happened entirely in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,940 ✭✭✭spookwoman

On the subject of children why after a year do I still have to tell parents to keep their kids away from me when queueing. The parent may be at 2m but they seem to think it's ok to let their kids run around and go over to people.
    Keep your plague ridden crotch goblin away from me. :D

spookwoman wrote: »
    On the subject of children why after a year do I still have to tell parents to keep their kids away from me when queueing. The parent may be at 2m but they seem to think it's ok to let their kids run around and go over to people.
    Keep your plague ridden crotch goblin away from me. :D

YES!!
    I need a 'double thank' button for this - keep those 'germ-carriers' away from me

• Advertisement

I had to tell two teenagers could they please take a step back, their shopping basket was literally hitting my back. In fairness to them, they apologised and were very obliging but, come on!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement