Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things dat Trivyully Annoy You (part whatever) *MOD WARNING IN OP* NEW

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,276 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

spookwoman wrote: »
    On the subject of children why after a year do I still have to tell parents to keep their kids away from me when queueing. The parent may be at 2m but they seem to think it's ok to let their kids run around and go over to people.
    Keep your plague ridden crotch goblin away from me. :D

Ah he only wants to "make friends".

Or is that dogs? No matter, they're all filthy things that need to keep away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

superiors/colleagues refusing to acknowledge that remote working is a viable option

'ah its more of a think that we need to go through in person sure'
    no its not, its literally more efficient for me to produce a draft, you mark it up and i revise

i can have some sympathy for people close to retiring age but anyone sub 50 years old needs to suck it up and get with the times

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

broke a nail opening the boot of the car.. :mad: and they wer fab... long and filed and all the same lenght.. now I gonna have a shortie grrr..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,413 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

On the subject of children why after a year do I still have to tell parents to keep their kids away from me when queueing. The parent may be at 2m but they seem to think it's ok to let their kids run around and go over to people.
    Keep your plague ridden crotch goblin away from me. :D

Because proper and responsible parenting in 2021 in Ireland is about as fashionable as catching rabies from a demented mongoose ....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It's time we got back to 18+ only in pubs.

When I was young, pubs were off limits. When did we start letting kids sit in pubs, watching drunk people?

• Advertisement

Parents and children are bad mmkay :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,940 ✭✭✭spookwoman

NIMAN wrote: »
    It's time we got back to 18+ only in pubs.

When I was young, pubs were off limits. When did we start letting kids sit in pubs, watching drunk people?

I know when I was younger if there was a kid in a pub it was usually during the day or early evening and the parents would only be in for a quick pint or drink of pop. And the kid(s) would sit quietly and not a peep out of them.
    It was not acceptable to have your kid in for the day while mum and dad got p*ssed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It was not acceptable to have your kid in for the day while mum and dad got p*ssed.

That is just degenerate parenting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Words such as 'crew' and or 'squad', generally used in reference to a bunch of ar$eholes on a night out 'for the bantz'...

superiors/colleagues refusing to acknowledge that remote working is a viable option

'ah its more of a think that we need to go through in person sure'
    no its not, its literally more efficient for me to produce a draft, you mark it up and i revise

i can have some sympathy for people close to retiring age but anyone sub 50 years old needs to suck it up and get with the times

Suck it up ? Employees need to do no such thing... the concern is, people who don’t want to work from home / can’t work from home will be faced with working from home not as an option ie. “you can if you ‘want’..”. . it will be... you are having the expectation placed on you, the demand if you will... home is a barrier between work and your life, personal life.. the two shouldn’t be mixed..

Employer saves on office space, rent, light heat, cleaning..etc , therefore saves loads of $$$.... employees will see Jack **** of that saving.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Not true, you can claim some money back from revenue, plus you don't have to deal with the commute (which costs both time and money), no wear and tear on the car and lower insurance (if you're driving), less danger in case of very bad weather, fewer chances of catching whatever lurgy is doing the rounds, etc.

I agree that it might not suit everyone, e.g. people who are house sharing, but surely there's a happy medium somewhere. I'd sign up for it immediately, if given the option, but I'm sure lots of my colleagues prefer to be in a couple of days a week at least, while others would like to be in all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Strumms wrote: »

Employer saves on office space, rent, light heat, cleaning..etc , therefore saves loads of $$$.... employees will see Jack **** of that saving.

Some of us aren't bothered if that saving is passed to us though. We aren't entitled to more remuneration simply because the employer is saving money. Your pay is usually based on skill, merit, responsibility etc. You can't just demand more money because the company is making/ saving more. You have to be giving more in return - it's a business contract at the end of the day.

TA we'd to do a dash to Tesco for calpol before they closed at 10. I remember when it used to be a dash for wine before the drink sales cutoff. Now it's calpol and nappies. It doesn't get much better than this :D

I know when I was younger if there was a kid in a pub it was usually during the day or early evening and the parents would only be in for a quick pint or drink of pop. And the kid(s) would sit quietly and not a peep out of them.

Pint of raspberry cordial and you'd sit quietly, delighted with yourself :)

Antares35 wrote: »
    Some of us aren't bothered if that saving is passed to us though. We aren't entitled to more remuneration simply because the employer is saving money. Your pay is usually based on skill, merit, responsibility etc. You can't just demand more money because the company is making/ saving more. You have to be giving more in return - it's a business contract at the end of the day.

TA we'd to do a dash to Tesco for calpol before they closed at 10. I remember when it used to be a dash for wine before the drink sales cutoff. Now it's calpol and nappies. It doesn't get much better than this :D

Why can’t you demand more money ? You are using your light, heat, electricity, proving the company with a workspace... if I want to rent a workspace tomorrow say to meet a client I need pay ... an employer wants you to use your front room... they should compensate you for the privilege.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Pint of raspberry cordial and you'd sit quietly, delighted with yourself :)

Fizzy orange like Tommy in Love Hate

Why can’t you demand more money ? You are using your light, heat, electricity, proving the company with a workspace... if I want to rent a workspace tomorrow say to meet a client I need pay ... an employer wants you to use your front room... they should compensate you for the privilege.

Well you can, I'm just saying that not everyone would feel they want to I suppose. I already feel privileged to have the option to WFH. And for me not everything can be distilled down to a monetary value. Less time sitting in traffic, more time with my daughter etc. It's hard to put a price on it. My employer has given me the option to do anything from 0-5 days at home, so if I feel that strongly about my utility bills, I can just head to the office. But, that's the ideal scenario - where there's a choice, whether people want to WFH or in the office. There should be room for both.

Fizzy orange like Tommy in Love Hate

Very posh :D

Well you can, I'm just saying that not everyone would feel they want to I suppose. I already feel privileged to have the option to WFH. And for me not everything can be distilled down to a monetary value. Less time sitting in traffic, more time with my daughter etc. It's hard to put a price on it. My employer has given me the option to do anything from 0-5 days at home, so if I feel that strongly about my utility bills, I can just head to the office. But, that's the ideal scenario - where there's a choice, whether people want to WFH or in the office. There should be room for both.

Agreed, my thing is, my worry is, in x years that choice might be a demand on behalf of your employer.

If your OH and 3 kids end up competing for your time with your work, hmmmm might not be solvable if there is no office to fall back to.

Completely stolen from thinkbusiness.ie but this describes one of my biggest TAs:

"It’s on my radar"

It appears many people working in corporate offices are hauling around expensive object-detection systems that use radio waves to determine the range, angle, or velocity of objects. They’re not. This just means ‘I’m aware of this’. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Dramatik

There's a house a couple of doors up getting major construction work done, now a second house a couple of door downs in the other direction has also started major work. ...Jackhammers to the left of me, Sledgehammers to the right, here I am stuck in the middle... boo hoo :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

Suck it up ? Employees need to do no such thing... the concern is, people who don’t want to work from home / can’t work from home will be faced with working from home not as an option ie. “you can if you ‘want’..”. . it will be... you are having the expectation placed on you, the demand if you will... home is a barrier between work and your life, personal life.. the two shouldn’t be mixed.

wasnt my point though (i may have not been clear in what i was saying i suppose). i was trying to say i find it ridiculous that certain businesses are not allowing remote working during the pandemic due to not understanding it/'preferring' office based working (i understand this is a minority situation but unfortunately my former partner and i were both left like this)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Treated myself to a new book yesterday. Yes, I prefer the actual book.

Settled down to a lazy evening, enjoying the read. The next page didn't make sense after reading for a while and it took a while to realise there were thirty pages missing. Searched to see if they had been inserted incorrectly but no trace.

Binding perfect and that many pages don't change the weight or size of a big paperback.
    Got a replacement this morning, no bother.

It was a relief to find my brain wasn't in shutdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

wildwillow wrote: »
    Treated myself to a new book yesterday. Yes, I prefer the actual book.

Settled down to a lazy evening, enjoying the read. The next page didn't make sense after reading for a while and it took a while to realise there were thirty pages missing. Searched to see if they had been inserted incorrectly but no trace.

Binding perfect and that many pages don't change the weight or size of a big paperback.
    Got a replacement this morning, no bother.

It was a relief to find my brain wasn't in shutdown.

That's really strange. You would imagine a manuscript goes through editing and a quality assurance process prior to publishing.
    Someone clearly dropped the ball there!
    When i was a kid, my older sister told me if you found a spelling mistake in a book you won a prize and became famous. I used to scour every page searching for errors hoping id be revered in the literary world as a 'mistake finder'

To this day despite knowing that's not true, i still find myself secretly hoping to find a mistake.
    TA my sister ruined reading books for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭wildwillow

It was probably a one off error in the binding process where some pages were missed. The shop assistant checked a few books this morning and all were perfect.

Would have been very difficult to pick up on the error in quality control unless each book was actually checked.

One benefit on using the local book shop was that it was easy and quick to sort out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

wildwillow wrote: »
    It was probably a one off error in the binding process where some pages were missed. The shop assistant checked a few books this morning and all were perfect.

Would have been very difficult to pick up on the error in quality control unless each book was actually checked.

One benefit on using the local book shop was that it was easy and quick to sort out.

Might have been easier to pick up on if they were gullible idiots like me believing they'd be famous if they found one 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Porklife wrote: »
    Might have been easier to pick up on if they were gullible idiots like me believing they'd be famous if they found one ��

And you know the word “ gullible” is not listed in correct alphabetical order
    In the dictionary...it’s four places out.

Playing musical chairs in the kitchen all day because of the sun beating in.

Porklife wrote: »
    To this day despite knowing that's not true, i still find myself secretly hoping to find a mistake.
    TA my sister ruined reading books for me!

That's a TA of mine. I'm always spotting mistakes in books. Really bothers me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Terry..

Mostly driving stuff and things people say and short interactions with people

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I am reading a book on my kindle. I got to about 60% through in a week or so as to was a decent story. At this stage I think the author must have had a stroke or something as the last 20% has been extremely tedious and has taken a further 2 weeks. I am debating whether to bother finishing the rest of it or not but I hate leaving a book partially read.

Another TA is that some of the story lines do not seem to have progressed much so I am fearing that it is the first part in a series.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement