Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things dat Trivyully Annoy You (part whatever) *MOD WARNING IN OP* NEW

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Stupid paper straws, I hate the feeling of drinking through them. Bring back good ol' plastic straws I say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I am reading a book on my kindle. I got to about 60% through in a week or so as to was a decent story. At this stage I think the author must have had a stroke or something as the last 20% has been extremely tedious and has taken a further 2 weeks. I am debating whether to bother finishing the rest of it or not but I hate leaving a book partially read.

Another TA is that some of the story lines do not seem to have progressed much so I am fearing that it is the first part in a series.

The Mystery of Banshee Towers - the final book in The Five Find Outers series - was really odd compared to the previous 14. Shorter, lifeless, a secret passage was introduced (a Famous Five plot device), character inconsistencies and a general air of "let's do one more for old time's sake". Even when reading it at 10 years old, it didn't feel right. I later learned that Enid Blyton's dementia had already started the year before it was written (1961).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Baz Ashmawys voice . Irritates me to the point of getting annoyed

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

SpitfireIV wrote: »
    Stupid paper straws, I hate the feeling of drinking through them. Bring back good ol' plastic straws I say :)

I bought a Capri Sun recently. They've gone for paper straws too. And (because they're paper) they're too flaccid to penetrate the hole. I eventually had to give up because I just couldn't get it in. Ended up squirting all over myself. I think someone should definitely respond to this post by pointing out the fact that words like 'flaccid', 'penetrate', 'hole' and 'squirting' can also be used in a sexual context, from whence much merriment inevitably arose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭sporina

washed a load of bed sheets today with the intention of drying them out on the line.. but it drizzled rain all day here in Cork :eek::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Spiders hiding in the clothes pegs

PsychoPete wrote: »

They're just hanging out.... :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I bought a Capri Sun recently. They've gone for paper straws too. And (because they're paper) they're too flaccid to penetrate the hole. I eventually had to give up because I just couldn't get it in. Ended up squirting all over myself. I think someone should definitely respond to this post by pointing out the fact that words like 'flaccid', 'penetrate', 'hole' and 'squirting' can also be used in a sexual context, from whence much merriment inevitably arose.

*FNARR!*

(Happy? :p)
    PsychoPete wrote: »
    Turk 182 wrote: »
    They're just hanging out.... :D

...down came the rain and washed the spider out... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,047 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Fly at the window.

*Buzz, buzz, buzzzzzz*

Open the window like any rational would do, fly comes back into the room.

Fly back at the window.

*Buzz, buzz, buzzzzzz*

Open the window again like any rational person would do, fly comes back into the room.

Fly back at the window.

*Buzz, buzz, buzzzzzz*

Open the window ... well you can probably guess the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Fly at the window.

*Buzz, buzz, buzzzzzz*

Open the window like any rational would do, fly comes back into the room.

Fly back at the window.

*Buzz, buzz, buzzzzzz*

Open the window again like any rational person would do, fly comes back into the room.

Fly back at the window.

*Buzz, buzz, buzzzzzz*

Open the window ... well you can probably guess the rest.

Replace buzzing with miaowing and I've a cat who does that. Has me demented.

• Advertisement

Flaccid IS an hilarious word :)

I'm sorry I'm your annoyance, Bertie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Candie wrote: »
    Flaccid IS an hilarious word :)

So is its antonym, 'Tumescent'. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

The recent trend of writing times like 19:30pm

The whole point of the 24-hour clock is to avoid using AM and PM!!!!!

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    The recent trend of writing times like 19:30pm

The whole point of the 24-hour clock is to avoid using AM and PM!!!!!

where have you seen that?

Almost as amusing as preceding "hilarious" with "an". Unless it became silent overnight.

unless what became silent? "it'?

sporina wrote: »
    unless what became silent? "it'?

Masterful deduction there Watson. I was referring to the 'h' in "hilarious". Anyway, I digest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Masterful deduction there Watson. I was referring to the 'h' in "hilarious". Anyway, I digest.

What have you eaten? Shouldn't that be 'digress'?

What have you eaten? Shouldn't that be 'digress'?

They call that a malapropism.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

They call that a malapropism.

Carry on.

• Advertisement

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Work emails.

Sports apps (kickoff time etc)

A few places

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Covid vaccine text:
    - When: Friday, 28 May 12:20 PM
    - Where: Citywest Vaccination Centre (CVC)

It's not only superfluous, but rather annoying, and creeping into general usage.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I can sort of see why it's there when the time is anything up to 12:59, it'd probably help clarify whether it's noon or midnight (with 12 only it could be argued that it could be taken as the 12 hour clock), but I completely agree with you for any other hour of the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,413 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The bin collection this morning arriving at 7.35am....

Sounded like the individuals were having difficulty loading some of the bins / waste into the truck, as it was outside here revving fûck out of engine / hydraulics for about 10 minutes ... nice one, nowhere to be today, was looking forward to a lie on somewhat following a couple of very early starts but that wasn’t needed...

Seems like bin trucks are allowed to operate from 6am which is a bit mad considering the nature of their job and the racket they make...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Try the ice cream van every afternoon during the summer when on night shift and trying to get more than four hours sleep :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭stopthevoting

Speedsie wrote: »
    Covid vaccine text:
    - When: Friday, 28 May 12:20 PM
    - Where: Citywest Vaccination Centre (CVC)
    It's not only superfluous, but rather annoying, and creeping into general usage.
    New Home wrote: »
    I can sort of see why it's there when the time is anything up to 12:59, it'd probably help clarify whether it's noon or midnight (with 12 only it could be argued that it could be taken as the 12 hour clock), but I completely agree with you for any other hour of the afternoon.

I can confirm that the vaccination messages also say "PM" for later afternoon times. I have texts on my phone saying "15:10 PM" and "14:05 PM".

There was a part in a 1980s comedy movie, maybe with Leslie Nielsen, where a character said something like "at five thirty o'clock pm in the evening". I was actually trying to find that clip on Youtube last year but I couldn't find it, and I have forgotten which movie it was in.

New Home wrote: »

yeah didn't Leo Varadkar make a boo boo in this regard sometime back in the early pandemic days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Air conditioning - well more precisely the fact that the air conditioning in my office does not adjust to the conditions.

When it started getting warmer a couple of weeks ago they still had them set to a high temperature for at least a week so was sweltering.

Then set Cool so perfect! Temperature has dropped today but air con still set cool so have goosebumps and cold fingers/knuckles/ears! Will take them a week to adjust and will have to wear a hoodie (Up at times) until then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,413 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Had the Mitsubishi aircon in my job, the functionality is brilliant, turn on, set the temp and within a minute the office temperature is set perfectly... BUT there is always somebody that wants the aircon set to ARCTIC. We’d come back from lunch say July , and I’m wondering if I’ve time to go home and get my parka it’s that cold... be trying to negotiate with the cünt...”no don’t touch that, it’s just the right temperature” I was about to accuse him of getting brain freeze but realized that it was a contradiction in terms with that fella.......

Eventually just made sure I’m first in if on shift with him, put the aircon on to a reasonable setting and hid the remote... he’d get up to change it manually but be turned back up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement