Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists, insurance and road tax

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,115 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Id love to see where either of those stats come from.
    The 98% breaking urban speed limits comes from the RSA Speed Survey.

The majority of drivers using their phones while driving comes from two separate surveys conducted in recent years, one from Liberty Insurance and one from Toyota, both came to the same conclusion.

If you don't notice this stuff happening all around you on the road, you need to improve your observation.

Joe4321 wrote: »
    What risks are are cars insured for, third party?? What risk are builders covered for???

Maybe you need to do some research yourself and answer your own questions before you can come up with a coherent proposal?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

It's not a tax on ownership though.
    I can own a motorcar and not tax it.
    It's essentially a road tax.
    A tax paid to use the road.

Here's the website: https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/
    Now is it motor tax or road tax or car tax? :rolleyes:

Anything else is just semantics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭Joe4321

OK Andrew, you convinced me to sell my car and buy a better bycicle, who can I phone now to get insurance from

Joe4321 wrote: »
    @Statto25, not haveing a laugh but laughing at how all the cyclist are saying that everyone else is the problem

It's not cyclists saying it. It is decades of evidence of road traffic safety saying it.

Motorists kill 2 or 3 people each week on Irish roads. Cyclists kill 1 person each decade.

It's not hard to see where the problem is.

• Advertisement

Andrew I just said I'm selling my car, anything else I can do to make roads safer for cyclists

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

The sheer whataboutery and made up stats, cycling appears to be the transport equivalent of herbalife on here

@Andrew if you had a magic wand and could do anything to make our roads safer, what would you do???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

The sheer whataboutery and made up stats, cycling appears to be the transport equivalent of herbalife on here

A pyramid scheme then. Who is at the top making all the money?

Why is it, that people get riled when posters refer to car tax as road tax.
    It's the same thing.
    I can have a hundred cars out the back of my house and if they don't go on a public road, I don't have to pay a penny in "car tax"
    The minute I drive onto a public highway, I must have tax on my car.
    A tax to allow me use my car on the road.
    A road tax.

Not the same thing given that many types of vehicles on the road are exempt from motor tax.

It is a motor tax. Why do people get so riled at the facts?

• Advertisement

It's not whataboutery and the stats are real.
    It just doesn't line up with your world view which sees cyclists as an inconvenience.

Unfortunately, for you, infrastructure around the world is failing due to congestion and cycling is an easy cheap solution that a lot of people are taking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Another mighty thread on boards.ie
    All the logic out the window and a bunch of tired arguments recited again.

If a bike pays tax and insurance then it would have the right to be on the road (not a cycle path now but on the road).

Then it would be incumbent on motorists to treat it the same as a slow moving car. Do the drivers here really want to be stuck behind a bicycle?

Or is this just another bitter I have to pay so they should argument?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Rezident

Fully agree that cyclists should have insurance and pay road tax. I’d go a step further and have them sit a test and undergo NCTs for their bikes too. The vast majority of them display either pure ignorance or total disregard for the rules of the road, putting themselves, pedestrians and drivers at risk. If the same rules applied to them as say motor cyclists it might sharpen their behavior.

How many pedestrians and drivers have been killed by cyclists in the last year? Or ever?

While pedestrians are generally the worst road users, drivers are clearly the most dangerous. The notion that drivers are "at risk" from cyclists is silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,781 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Haven't read this thread, but have we gotten to the "complaining about traffic light jumping" part yet?

and can we spare a moment to complain about those damned scooters...

and people walking on the right side of the pavement instead of the left...

*grabs popcorn*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

ah come on - this is a windup - you just pulled builders into a discussion about road safety - what about that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Or is this just another bitter I have to pay so they should argument?

Other cycling enthusiasts were complaining a few pages back about motorists who drive around uninsured and untaxed.

mrcheez wrote: »
    Haven't read this thread, but have we gotten to the "complaining about traffic light jumping" part yet?

and can we spare a moment to complain about those damned scooters...

and people walking on the right side of the pavement instead of the left...

*grabs popcorn*

I think boards should have an automatic redirect to older "Cyclists are Bad Wahh!" threads.

That way the posters here could see that all the arguments are done to death, usually by themselves:pac:
    Other cycling enthusiasts were complaining a few pages back about motorists who drive around uninsured and untaxed.
    This is a major problem. Anyone who pays insurance is also paying the costs of uninsured drivers.
    I don't care if people drive untaxed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    I think boards should have an automatic redirect to older "Cyclists are Bad Wahh!" threads.

That way the posters here could see that all the arguments are done to death, usually by themselves:pac:

Ebike users vs "traditional " cyclists will be a good one.

"It's not real cycling man" .....etc.

Anyone know a good brand of ebike,

And your issue with that is? As a motoring enthusiast I would find i also complain about the untaxed and uninsured driver.

I find on average more of my fellow motorists to be an issue on the road than cyclists. Average daily commute brings me across a half dozen, poorly skilled, unaware, distracted drivers. Maybe i come across 1-3 cyclists usually breaking a red light when pedestrian lights are active (not exactly the biggest danger of the day).

So if it's not the i pay they don't pay. Is it just general resentment for a myriad of non specific reasons?

• Advertisement

Ebike users vs "traditional " cyclists will be a good one.

"It's not real cycling man" .....etc.

Already begun:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058172935

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It's hilarious seeing all the "internet libertarians" on this thread arguing for:
    • More tax
    • More government oversight of the lives of private citizens
    • Nanny-state regulations
    • Less personal responsibility in the form of mandatory insurance

They hear the word "cyclist" and the red mist descends.

Note that I don't even own a bike, so I've no skin in the game. I am a motorist. But the irrational bile against cycling that gets trotted out time and time again is something to behold.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Sono Topolino

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    The funny thing is - cyclists cant get insurance even if they want to.

Insurance companies dont offer it/ wont offer it.

The reason is that the risk of bike theft in Ireland is so high.

And yet here we have a punter beating us with his big online stick because 'cyclists dont even have insurance'.

Needless to say, OP didnt check any of this before the offical launch of the rant.

You know what would fix the bike theft problem?

Registration plates for bicycles and mandatory insurance, which would replace stolen bikes and also lobby the government for better enforcement against thieves

But cyclists don't want number plates because then we'd catch you breaking traffic lights, running stop signs etc. And they don't want mandatory insurance, because then companies could kick you off the road by refusing to ensure you for behaving recklessly.

Basically cyclists want all the benefits of the road, while bearing none of the costs and obeying none of the rules.

Crash helmets arent needed in cars because of the active and passive safety systems fitted, cyclists have no safety systems without a high gis and helmet.

Should motorcyclists abandon helmets ?

Yes, active and passive safety systems, and still vastly more head injuries than cyclists.

If you believe in helmets to reduce head injuries, surely you would focus where most head injuries happen - in cars.

@Gregor, would you not trade in you car for a bicycle, I have seen the light, cyclists can do no wrong so it's a win win, car is up for sale now, no going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Sono Topolino

It's hilarious seeing all the "internet libertarians" on this thread arguing for:
    • More tax
    • More government oversight of the lives of private citizens
    • Nanny-state regulations
    • Less personal responsibility in the form of mandatory insurance

They hear the word "cyclist" and the red mist descends.

Note that I don't even own a bike, so I've no skin in the game. I am a motorist. But the irrational bile against cycling that gets trotted out time and time again is something to behold.

Did you just call me a libertarian? I've been called lots of things, but never that.

What stats are made up please?

Registration plates for bicycles and mandatory insurance, which would replace stolen bikes and also lobby the government for better enforcement against thieves

Except neither of those things would stop bike theft. Does either of them prevent car theft?

"Oh that bike has a registration plate! Better not steal it!"

More like
    "I'm gonna steal that bike and throw the reg plate into the river!"

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭oisinog

But cyclists don't want number plates because then we'd catch you breaking traffic lights, running stop signs etc. And they don't want mandatory insurance, because then companies could kick you off the road by refusing to ensure you for behaving recklessly.

Basically cyclists want all the benefits of the road, while bearing none of the costs and obeying none of the rules.

Sono tell me how would you expect me to fit a light a saddle bad and reg plate on the back of my bike.

Where would I display it, would you be happy to pay more "road tax" to fund the extra staff it would take to manage this process.

At this point in time my car reg does not get me a caught if I do any of the above so why do you think a reg plate on my bike would.

• Advertisement

Wow I've seen people get worked up over nothing, but all this cause some cyclists breaks the red when the walking lights are on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement