Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists, insurance and road tax

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

BanditLuke wrote: »
    I have never been spat at though then again most motorists don't drive up to a red light have a look left and right and keep going so it wouldn't be as frequent.

The Luas red light camera on Queen St disagrees with you. It found that 88% of red light jumping was by motorists. Try opening your eyes to what is going on around you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Yes. 100 euro per year

It would be a good start. Let's pay for that bicycle lane in wicklow. Let's fund the green way in louth. Etc

Although Eamon Ryan has a million a day to spend on cycling I think we will need much more. Those who use it should pay. Same as everything.

Sounds pretty arbitrary. Any logic behind taxing cyclists more than, say, the top band for motor cyclists?

I like your logic though. Cyclists create so much wear and tear on the roads. My bike weights about 1% that of my car, which costs €200 in motor tax annually. So €2 to tax my bike sounds reasonable. I'd also like a tax rebate for the days my car sits on the drive way and I use my bike to get to work.

presumably you'll be taxing pedestrians for the provision and maintenance of paths was well?

I think you're onto something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

The Luas red light camera on Queen St disagrees with you. It found that 88% of red light jumping was by motorists. Try opening your eyes to what is going on around you.

Most motorists don't see others breaking red lights because they are not at the front of the queue. They are stuck way back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Sounds pretty arbitrary. Any logic behind taxing cyclists more than, say, the top band for motor cyclists?

I like your logic though. Cyclists create so much wear and tear on the roads. My bike weights about 1% that of my car, which costs €200 in motor tax annually. So €2 to tax my bike sounds reasonable. I'd also like a tax rebate for the days my car sits on the drive way and I use my bike to get to work.

presumably you'll be taxing pedestrians for the provision and maintenance of paths was well?

I think you're onto something.

What brand of bicycle do you have and what brand of motor car do you own?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭micar

Yes. 100 euro per year

It would be a good start. Let's pay for that bicycle lane in wicklow. Let's fund the green way in louth. Etc

Although Eamon Ryan has a million a day to spend on cycling I think we will need much more. Those who use it should pay. Same as everything.

You'd be great fun on Christmas morning going around to all the 5 year old kids with new bikes off Santa demanding to see their tax and insurance

• Advertisement

So what exactly do you want and who should pay for it?
    What is the end goal here

The consensus seems to be that general taxation must pay for everything. Let's hear the demands

If you're proposing that cyclists should be taxed to pay for cycle lanes, then logically, you'll agree that parents should be taxed to pay for schools.

Btw, have you noticed how smart countries are bending over backwards to encourage cycling, in some cases actually paying cyclists to cycle -because they've worked out the very substantial benefits that arise - less traffic delays, less pollution, improved public health.

If you're proposing that cyclists should be taxed to pay for cycle lanes, then logically, you'll agree that parents should be taxed to pay for schools.

Btw, have you noticed how smart countries are bending over backwards to encourage cycling, in some cases actually paying cyclists to cycle -because they've worked out the very substantial benefits that arise - less traffic delays, less pollution, improved public health.

I wasn't aware of governments paying people to cycle. Can I have some follow up info on that. Sounds interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Yes. 100 euro per year

How about pedestrians? Should they pay a tax for footpaths, the lights on footapaths, road crossings, bridges across roads?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭Joe4321

Or are they trying to reduce their carbon emmision without tackling the real culprits in the large manufacturing industries, smoke screens come to mind,

I wasn't aware of governments paying people to cycle. Can I have some follow up info on that. Sounds interesting

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/feb/29/cash-cycling-polluted-milan-italy-pay-commuters-bike-to-work

• Advertisement

dinneenp wrote: »
    How about pedestrians? Should they pay a tax for footpaths, the lights on footapaths, road crossings, bridges across roads?

Seeing that the lights are on footpaths and pedestrians would be paying the tax, a screen needs to be built on the edge of the road to block the light from shining towards the road, and the people paying road tax would have to pay for that screen.

What brand of bicycle do you have and what brand of motor car do you own?

The relevance being? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

The Irish government has been paying for people to cycle to work since the introduction of BTW, or are you looking for something more specific like a refund every time you use a bicycle?

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    The relevance being? :confused:

Your eircode will be requested next.

Now cyclists want to be paid for cycling not only getting tax breakers for the ourchess, then want motorist off the roads so they can pretend to be in the tour de France on there way to work, now they want to be paid for cycling, I'm sure they could ask to be exempt from all forms if tax, your under selling yourself, anyway é-bike or normal road bike, any sugestions

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Joe4321 wrote: »
    @Fighting, so a cyclist scratches your car while zigzagging, you get out and he hurls abuse at you and cycles off is that OK??, plenty of cars now with dash ams which could get the markings on the bike but if none they cycle of with no reprocussions on them, way to go...

I think you need a new keyboard, or maybe fingers. Peruse for them on Amazon while you're on the jacks using your pee helmet.

Your eircode will be requested next.

Fahrrad macht frei

Edit - do you want to tell or shall I that many cyclists have winter bikes, summer bikes, "good bikes", mountain bikes and perhaps a gravel bike in the mix? Jaysus the tax man will be rubbing his hands.

2016. But it didn't work unfortunately but they are trying again with a 500 euro voucher off the cost of a new bicycle

https://www.thelocal.it/20200514/italy-offers-city-dwellers-up-to-500-to-buy-a-new-bike/

I never followed up on it. There are other articles. That was just the first returned in my search.

Not commuting at the moment, but if I have to again I'd happily take a payment to cycle to work :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭doiredoire

micar wrote: »
    You'd be great fun on Christmas morning going around to all the 5 year old kids with new bikes off Santa demanding to see their tax and insurance

Should the summons be issued against the parents or the children? It would be better to charge the 5 year olds as that way they will learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Joe4321 wrote: »
    so they can pretend to be in the tour de France on there way to work,

Ahhhh I was wondering when that auld gem was gonna be mentioned!
    Youd have received bonus points for "Lycra Clad Heroes"

doiredoire wrote: »
    Should the summons be issued against the parents or the children? It would be better to charge the 5 year olds as they way they will learn.

What about the 1 year olds??? Won't someone think of them on their new balance bikes??

I never followed up on it. There are other articles. That was just the first returned in my search.

Not commuting at the moment, but if I have to again I'd happily take a payment to cycle to work :D

Looks like a bike to work scheme similar to our own. Probably Europe wide at this stage to encourage cycling.

On another note Monday is nearly over. I wonder what Eamonn spent todays million euro on

Hurra he, don't be like that, what has you so angry today.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

red light cameras are not built to trigger when cyclists do it. 88% are cars, the rest motorbikes because without a registration plate it doesn't capture...

Statto25, are you looking for a tax break on buying your lycra too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

What about the 1 year olds??? Won't someone think of them on their new balance bikes??

Christmas morning.....kids out in their coats and hats riding their bikes and smiling from ear to eat.....up rolls the paddy wagon and starts to impound any bikes not taxed and insured. Summons issued.....Christmas cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭doiredoire

I don’t think we should be criminalising children under 2 so not sure we should be issuing summons to them. Certainly children over two should face the full wrath of the law

• Advertisement

red light cameras are not built to trigger when cyclists do it. 88% are cars, the rest motorbikes because without a registration plate it doesn't capture...

Please provide evidence to back up your assertion when it comes to the Luas track, otherwise it will be filed in the bin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement