Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists, insurance and road tax

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Joe4321 wrote: »
    Statto25, are you looking for a tax break on buying your lycra too

Jaysus Id love one! I could get custom bib shorts with my license plate number printed across my hole

• Registered Users Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Now cyclists want to be paid for cycling not only getting tax breakers for the ourchess, then want motorist off the roads so they can pretend to be in the tour de France on there way to work, now they want to be paid for cycling, I'm sure they could ask to be exempt from all forms if tax, your under selling yourself, anyway é-bike or normal road bike, any sugestions

You might want to try getting a grip on what people actually say, instead of making up straw man positions that no one has actually proposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Spook_ie wrote: »
    The Irish government has been paying for people to cycle to work since the introduction of BTW, or are you looking for something more specific like a refund every time you use a bicycle?

More tax breaks maybe? I know in some countries people are being paid to cycle to work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭Joe4321

Doire Doire only if their nappy is dirty,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Please provide evidence to back up your assertion when it comes to the Luas track, otherwise it will be filed in the bin.

The luas has amazing technology. So amazing that it can capture the registration plate of the muppets it regularly t-bones breaking red lights. All without seeing their registration plates.

• Advertisement

Andrew, still waiting for you answer,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

doiredoire wrote: »
    I don’t think we should be criminalising children under 2 so not sure we should be issuing summons to them. Certainly children over two should face the full wrath of the law

Nope, they have to learn. The younger they learn to have tax and insurance, the more likely they are to get it when it comes to driving their little tykes cars! Too many uninsured little tyke car drivers out there.

red light cameras are not built to trigger when cyclists do it. 88% are cars, the rest motorbikes because without a registration plate it doesn't capture...

So how did the cameras trigger for the 12% of red light jumping that was down to cyclists?

I'd love to see whatever information you have on the camera specification though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭micar

More tax breaks maybe? I know in some countries people are being paid to cycle to work.

Can it be back dated for the years I spent cris crossing the city to and from work.

25km each way 4 days a week for about 7 years

So much hostility in here today towards motorist, think its time for a group hug, are you up for it Andrew

• Advertisement

micar wrote: »
    Can it be back dated for the years I spent cris crossing the city to and from work.

25km each way 4 days a week for about 7 years

No problem, APPROVED

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭doiredoire

Nope, they have to learn. The younger they learn to have tax and insurance, the more likely they are to get it when it comes to driving their little tykes cars! Too many uninsured little tyke car drivers out there.

You’re probably right. I am just a liberal do gooder who wants to let criminals get away with their heinous crimes.

I draw the line at taxing little tykes, what next, a tax on cyclists

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Please provide evidence to back up your assertion when it comes to the Luas track, otherwise it will be filed in the bin.

How would it trigger, a bicycle hasn't got a big enough radar trail to set off a radar camera, hasn't got enough steel to set off an inductive loop, would be ruled out by any kind of image recognition camera. The question is more how would you build a camera to detect cyclists crossing.

Looks like a bike to work scheme similar to our own. Probably Europe wide at this stage to encourage cycling.

On another note Monday is nearly over. I wonder what Eamonn spent todays million euro on

All that information is freely available.

https://whereyourmoneygoes.gov.ie/en/

The great news is that you can see the vast amounts spent on roads and other facilities, instead of obsessing about the few crumbs dropped from the table for cycling.

So much hostility in here today towards motorist, think its time for a group hug, are you up for it Andrew

I used to give out the odd fiver to motorists stuck in traffic pre corona as a special thank you for letting me use their roads. Went a long way to mend the motorist / cyclist relationship.

Alas with cash all but disappeared this is no longer possible. Maybe motorists could carry one of those cashless swipe yokes in the car and we could swipe them a few quid as we pass. Only fair on the hard pressed motorist who's paying for all those roads we use tax free.

How would it trigger, a bicycle hasn't got a big enough radar trail to set off a radar camera, hasn't got enough steel to set off an inductive loop, would be ruled out by any kind of image recognition camera. The question is more how would you build a camera to detect cyclists crossing.

They can and they do. Please stop making up things and trying to pass them off as facts.

It detected 12% of red light jumping was cyclists. You might want to hold back on making up stories.

Sounds a good idea, but maybe an ice cream in the summer would cool moterist down and take their mind of the traffic, but a fiver would help as well

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭oisinog

red light cameras are not built to trigger when cyclists do it. 88% are cars, the rest motorbikes because without a registration plate it doesn't capture...

You also know that sensored red lights dont trigger when a cyclist is sitting at it as well hence having to brek red lights safely on occassions.

• Advertisement

They can and they do. Please stop making up things and trying to pass them off as facts.

please show me which models
    It detected 12% of red light jumping was cyclists. You might want to hold back on making up stories.

60% of cyclists will jump a red light : https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0001457518304676

multiple discussions conclude that they don't trigger red light cameras :
    https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=10&t=1196959&i=20

what evidence have you that they do trigger red light cameras ?

anyone with a set of eyes would tell you that more than 12% of cyclists break red lights, I get it, you're a fanatic, but wouldn't it be better for you to accept the absolutely abysmal state of Dublin cycling and try make it better so that maybe motorists didn't hate them so much due to inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭micar

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Maybe motorists could carry one of those cashless swipe yokes in the car and we could swipe them a few quid as we pass.

Should be the opposite....they should be grateful to us for taking one less car of the road ...... they're getting home quicker because of us

All together now.........GO CYCLISTS!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

Hurrache wrote: »
    Maybe everyone on a bike should wear a helmet. The inability to put together a coherent argument without an understanding of basic spelling and grammar is absurdly common in this thread and it should serve as a warning to anyone as to how you may turn out if you're unfortunate to have a head injury.

Maybe we should tax typos?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭oisinog

The bored PSNI officer who clocked me with his "radar" gun and stopped me for a chat says different.

You know its a laser they use and not radar.

please show me which models

60% of cyclists will jump a red light : https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0001457518304676

multiple discussions conclude that they don't trigger red light cameras :
    https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=10&t=1196959&i=20

what evidence have you that they do trigger red light cameras ?

So you are saying the the Luas operator is making it up?

Also, when I was out for a cycle a few days ago, did I imagine the speed sign display an almighty speedy 21 kph for me?

oisinog wrote: »
    You also know that sensored red lights dont trigger when a cyclist is sitting at it as well hence having to brek red lights safely on occassions.

so they don't trigger sensor lights / cameras , but its ok that they break them anyway... sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

In 1950s America, due to lobbying from the car insurance industry, the Department of Transport mandated the introduction of VIN numbers. National Insurance Crime Bureau VIN-assist database actually helped the FBI solve the World Trade Centre bombing.

But keep ignoring facts that don't suit your ideology.

It's not practical!! Bicycles are not cars! No matter how much you want them to be.
    Bicycles are bought, sold, and scrapped much more often than cars. Bicycles are disassembled and parts swapped out much more frequently than cars.

You can't apply the same rules to bicycles, it's just not practical.

It's not an ideology, it's just common sense, which this thread is devoid of.

A VIN for a bicycle, for fcuk sake :rolleyes:

micar wrote: »
    Should be the opposite....they should be grateful to us for taking one less car of the road ...... they're getting home quicker because of us

All together now.........GO CYCLISTS!!!!!!

But dey don't pay road tax, Joe

so they don't trigger sensor lights / cameras , but its ok that they break them anyway... sure.

It's ok yes because it causes no problems. And i dont really care if motorists hate me for using a bike, that's bad energy they have to carry around not me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Wrong.

You can't operate a motor vehicle without motor tax, it's nothing to do with the road. You pay for the roads through general taxation and are welcome to use them in whatever legal means you want, but there is an additional tax on vehicles with an engine.

Excuse me, but please explain how I can claim a motor tax 'holiday' by simply stating my car is off the road. If the tax was simply for owning the car, such a break would not exist as long as I own the car.

motor vehicles driven exclusively 'airside' in Dublin Airport are not required to have Motor Tax - as far as I know.

https://www.gov.ie/en/policy-information/1ba443-motor-taxvehicle-registration/#:~:text=Liability%20for%20motor%20tax%20arises,for%20a%2012%2Dmonth%20period.

From the above:
    When must I pay motor tax?

Liability for motor tax arises when a vehicle is used in a public place/road.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement