Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists, insurance and road tax

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    But dey don't pay road tax, Joe

Ah Jaysus Joe, tis terrible, just terrible, and dey don't even have a license! and dem out of de road and all, and what about me poor mudder! Sure she's too old to see dem! Should be banned Joe, sure what wud ya be at out on a bike wit de wedder in dis country.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

please show me which models

60% of cyclists will jump a red light : https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0001457518304676

multiple discussions conclude that they don't trigger red light cameras :
    https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=10&t=1196959&i=20

what evidence have you that they do trigger red light cameras ?

anyone with a set of eyes would tell you that more than 12% of cyclists break red lights, I get it, you're a fanatic, but wouldn't it be better for you to accept the absolutely abysmal state of Dublin cycling and try make it better so that maybe motorists didn't hate them so much due to inconvenience.

The Luas red light camera picked up 12% of red light jumping was by cyclists. So they did trigger this particular red light camera, regardless of how strongly you feel about it.

They had so many drivers breaking red lights that Gardai couldn't keep up with processing offences so they switched the camera off.

So explain to me again why we should be diverting limited Garda resources to chase cyclists?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Cyclists, insurance and road tax.

Insurance NO X
    Road Tax NO X

Cycling ain't goin down that route thank you very much. Cycling is total freedom for everybody, irrespective of whether they can afford insurance & road tax. Cycling is free & will remain that way.

Excuse me, but please explain how I can claim a motor tax 'holiday' by simply stating my car is off the road. If the tax was simply for owning the car, such a break would not exist as long as I own the car.

motor vehicles driven exclusively 'airside' in Dublin Airport are not required to have Motor Tax - as far as I know.

https://www.gov.ie/en/policy-information/1ba443-motor-taxvehicle-registration/#:~:text=Liability%20for%20motor%20tax%20arises,for%20a%2012%2Dmonth%20period.

From the above:
    When must I pay motor tax?

Liability for motor tax arises when a vehicle is used in a public place/road.

Not all vehicles on the road pay tax. It's not a road tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

So you are saying the the Luas operator is making it up?

Also, when I was out for a cycle a few days ago, did I imagine the speed sign display an almighty speedy 21 kph for me?

yes, their methodology has to be flawed. Not a chance in hell are the figures that skewed, the only other explanation is that cyclists are only behaving in those numbers at luas junctions.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭Joe4321

Jeasuuse Joe how do they expect me to cycle home after a full day's work, you would thing they would bring in a law that let's cyclists only work a couple of hours a day to avoid all the traffic, what do you thínk Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭oisinog

so they don't trigger sensor lights / cameras , but its ok that they break them anyway... sure.

So if I am out for a cycle at 6am with no traffic on the Road I should wait until a car comes and triggers it for me.

It took me 15mins sitting at a ligh one day to figure this out.

Andrew we are all waiting for your answer

Off for a quick spin now, I hope I don't get abuse from the motorist now,

please show me which models

60% of cyclists will jump a red light : https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0001457518304676

multiple discussions conclude that they don't trigger red light cameras :
    https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=10&t=1196959&i=20

what evidence have you that they do trigger red light cameras ?

anyone with a set of eyes would tell you that more than 12% of cyclists break red lights, I get it, you're a fanatic, but wouldn't it be better for you to accept the absolutely abysmal state of Dublin cycling and try make it better so that maybe motorists didn't hate them so much due to inconvenience.

Do motorists hate all the other motorists that cause them inconvenience?

550708.jpg

• Advertisement

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    It's not practical!! Bicycles are not cars! No matter how much you want them to be.
    Bicycles are bought, sold, and scrapped much more often than cars. Bicycles are disassembled and parts swapped out much more frequently than cars.

You can't apply the same rules to bicycles, it's just not practical.

It's not an ideology, it's just common sense, which this thread is devoid of.

A VIN for a bicycle, for fcuk sake :rolleyes:

Sure you already have a VIN of sorts on your bike, like most products built the frame will have a serial number.

And Guess what in the North you can get it registered for free to a database to help the police

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Joe4321 wrote: »
    Jeasuuse Joe how do they expect me to cycle home after a full day's work, you would thing they would bring in a law that let's cyclists only work a couple of hours a day to avoid all the traffic, what do you thínk Joe
    Andrew we are all waiting for your answer
    Off for a quick spin now, I hope I don't get abuse from the motorist now,

Threadbanned for continuous trolling of the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

I agree with you. Although my point is that it's constantly happening BanditLuke in Stillorgan. Surely if it is constantly happening in the same locality, reporting it is likely to catch the culprits. I suspect that there was a huge exaggeration though.

Sorry Fighting Tao, my post certainly looked a bit smart ass, and I apologise for that. Perhaps Bandit was guilty of hyperbole (sorry BL:pac: ), but sure most of us go through life brushing off these incidents, despite the fact that sufficient reporting might lead to some action by the authorities.

BTW, I cannot be classed as a cyclist these days, and in fact when cycling to work I never considered myself a 'cyclist'. just someone who used a bike to get to work. I should probably put my helmet on now :D:D.

oisinog wrote: »
    Sure you already have a VIN of sorts on your bike, like most products built the frame will have a serial number.

And Guess what in the North you can get it registered for free to a database to help the police

You can register it with Gardai here too, at least in certain stations.

You can register it with Gardai here too, at least in certain stations.

You would think we could get our S*** together and have a full island database but that is a discussion for a different time

yes, their methodology has to be flawed. Not a chance in hell are the figures that skewed, the only other explanation is that cyclists are only behaving in those numbers at luas junctions.

Did you think about the number of cyclists on the road vs the number of motorists on the road when you came to your conclusion?

Interesting approach though - whenever you don't like any quantitative data outcome, just say that the methodology is flawed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Not all vehicles on the road pay tax. It's not a road tax.

Well now, that puts a slightly different complexion on it. However, my own point still stands , I can't drive my car on the road without paying Motor Tax. The fact that someone else gets an exemption doesn't change that fact.

I expect that the vehicles you refer to are probably state owned like Garda cars etc. Which makes sense, why would the government tax itself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I see Andrew got the mod on to me

1 week forum ban applied for breaching your threadban - keep up the trolling and it'll be a permaban

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

I actually think that if every person cycling did stop at every red light then motorists would be even more inconvenienced (It's why some countries allow right hand turns of reds (left in Ire), for example)

Probably still not as much as inconvenience they themselves cause by moving around in something that takes up a 4m x 2m footprint.

No numbers to back this up, but sure anyone with a set of eyes can see that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Excuse me, but please explain how I can claim a motor tax 'holiday' by simply stating my car is off the road. If the tax was simply for owning the car, such a break would not exist as long as I own the car.

motor vehicles driven exclusively 'airside' in Dublin Airport are not required to have Motor Tax - as far as I know.

https://www.gov.ie/en/policy-information/1ba443-motor-taxvehicle-registration/#:~:text=Liability%20for%20motor%20tax%20arises,for%20a%2012%2Dmonth%20period.

From the above:
    When must I pay motor tax?

Liability for motor tax arises when a vehicle is used in a public place/road.

Nothing you've said negates what I said, there are exceptions and if they aren't clear then you should speak to whoever made them. Motor tax is related to your car, roads are paid for through general taxation. This isn't a matter of opinion. The tax is on emissions, and as your aren't emitting anything when the car is parked up for a long stretch, you don't pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,356 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

oisinog wrote: »
    So if I am out for a cycle at 6am with no traffic on the Road I should wait until a car comes and triggers it for me.

It took me 15mins sitting at a ligh one day to figure this out.

Jaysus, you should Have dismounted and walked it (lawfully) across long before 15 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

If a cyclist hits someone whether they run a red light or a pedestrian just steps out in front of them can they sue?

As a cyclist this issue makes me nervous. Liveline discussed this last week. Is there a comeback for an injured party. Same argument could be ask....could injured cyclist sue a pedestrian.

In the case of running a red light any cyclist should be accountable imo. But the issue of insurance is perhaps not ridiculous.

At the moment with social distancing I find its constantly happening..... pedestrians stepping off the path into the road and in front of cyclists. I don't feel that someone should blame me if I hit them after they step out in front of me.

The whole tax thing is ridiculous. We should encourage cycling and aim to put cycling paths on all roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

That's one of the reasons I have cycling insurance. In our claim happy culture here at least it offers some protection for someone trying to sue the ass off you.

That's one of the reasons I have cycling insurance. In our claim happy culture here at least it offers some protection for someone trying to sue the ass off you.

Never knew it existed. How much is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭micar

If a cyclist hits someone whether they run a red light or a pedestrian just steps out in front of them can they sue?

As a cyclist this issue makes me nervous. Liveline discussed this last week. Is there a comeback for an injured party. Same argument could be ask....could injured cyclist sue a pedestrian.

In the case of running a red light any cyclist should be accountable imo. But the issue of insurance is perhaps not ridiculous.

At the moment with social distancing I find its constantly happening..... pedestrians stepping off the path into the road and in front of cyclists. I don't feel that someone should blame me if I hit them after they step out in front of me.

The whole tax thing is ridiculous. We should encourage cycling and aim to put cycling paths on all roads.

Who is suing who.

Did a course long time ago...one of the girls was cycling near Dame St...an American tourist stepped out onto the footpath....she pulled the brakes, front wheel locked and she thrown over the handlebar breaking both wrists.

No harm done to the tourist

A colleague at work cycling home had a girl on her mobile step out onto the cycle lane without looking, he swerved to avoid hitting her, came off the bike and broke his wrist

No harm done to the pedestrian

• Registered Users Posts: 13,895 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Would love to see a designated day when all cyclists who are also car owners commuted by car instead of bike. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Never knew it existed. How much is it?

I get it through www.cyclingireland.ie - as a club cyclist ( leisure or racing) it's mandatory but I think you can take it out as an individual. Around €50 per annum.

micar wrote: »
    Who is suing who.

Did a course long time ago...one of the girls was cycling near Dame St...an American tourist stepped out onto the footpath....she pulled the brakes, front wheel locked and she thrown over the handlebar breaking both wrists.

No harm done to the tourist

A colleague at work cycling home had a girl on her mobile step out onto the cycle lane without looking, he swerved to avoid hitting her, came off the bike and broke his wrist

No harm done to the pedestrian

Either could sue. I'd be nervous as cyclist that some pedestrian would walk in front of me and then expect me to pay for their injuries.

I get it through www.cyclingireland.ie - as a club cyclist ( leisure or racing) it's mandatory but I think you can take it out as an individual. Around €50 per annum.

Good to know. I just do some casual cycling. Not a serious enthuasiat. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Either could sue. I'd be nervous as cyclist that some pedestrian would walk in front of me and then expect me to pay for their injuries.
    Cyclist will nearly always come off worse tbh.

Unless there's a very grievous error on the part of either, or someone seriously injured, any Garda will tell you both to just head off your separate ways and pay more attention next time.

I wouldn't be any more concerned about being sued than I am about being sued by knocking someone over while out for a run.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement