Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists, insurance and road tax

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,850 ✭✭✭SeanW

It's not about safety either.
    Neither are continuous demands for extreme laws and iron-fist enforcement against motorists in a country that is literally global best practice for road safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Ummmm no it attracts cyclists and even runners from March through until September.

And whats the problem? Cyclists and runners/pedestrians are allowed use roads with the exception of motorways.

For a person who has given out about cyclists not following the law, you have a big issue with accepting the reality. The reality being this other road users cyclists,runners etc are allowed to be there. This is a basic part of the law governing road use. A driver gets their licence on the basis that they accept this basic fact. If a driver shows they don't understand that they are not allowed driver a multi tonne lump of metal around.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Last Saturday, a group of cyclists were out three abreast and wouldn't give me room to pass. If they had been cycling single file, I could have passed them safely but they refused to budge.
    Did you get it on dashcam for us all to see or is this yet another anecdote with no supporting evidence?
    Did you contact the gardai about this law breaking?
    For the record, I've cycled three abreast on public roads and it was perfectly safe and perfectly legal!

You have such a massive chip on your shoulder Sono that I don't know how you manage to sit upright in your car! Still, at least you've confirmed to us with the above that you are obviously yet another driver with skills that are unfortunately lacking.
    When I say "Lycra libertarians", this is what I'm complaining about.
    When I say "Lycra libertarians" I just think that you're even more immature than you had previously led me to think.
    And despite this, I'm proposing paying higher taxes (carbon taxes) to fund cycling infrastructure (among other things).
    Maybe you should contact your TD and put this proposal to them. If it is as good an idea as you think then they definitley won't give you short shrift!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Fully agree that cyclists should have insurance and pay road tax. I’d go a step further and have them sit a test and undergo NCTs for their bikes too. The vast majority of them display either pure ignorance or total disregard for the rules of the road, putting themselves, pedestrians and drivers at risk. If the same rules applied to them as say motor cyclists it might sharpen their behavior.

Would you make a 12 yr old put their bike through an NCT? :eek:

How would you propose to test a 6 yr old kid on their bike? :confused:

Would there be higher insurance for a mother bringing her kids to school in her cargo bike?

This silly post raises so many questions for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Would there be higher insurance for a mother bringing her kids to school in her cargo bike?

No need to get annoyed. The fact that they think Road Tax is a thing shows they have no idea what they're talking about!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Paddigol

SeanW wrote: »
    We don't need to. Cyclists do plenty of that. The rest of us do not believe in collective punishment.

EPIC LOLZERS ALERT - have you actually read any of the posts in this thread demanding road taxes for bike, registration plates for bikes, insurance for cyclists... and that's not even getting started on the classic mandatory hi viz, mandatory helmets demands that get flung into any discussion. Are you telling me that they aren't intended to be a collective punishment for the temerity to use the roads for cycling on? That they're borne out of a deep concern for the wellbeing of cyclists?? Stop.

Edit: I have to say it's actually encouraging to see how many posters who I've never seen in the cycling forum are pointing out the nonsense and clear bitterness in so many of the above posts from people desperate to turn any discussion into a The Rest of Us v. Cyclists campaign.

Ummmm no it attracts cyclists and even runners from March through until September.

The Horror!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

How ever will you manage op

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

Paddigol wrote: »
    and that's not even getting started on the classic mandatory hi viz, mandatory helmets demands that get flung into any discussion.

This one really upsets me, not because of the ignorant people who believe it but it reminds me of when velocity, the international cycling conference was held in Dublin in 2019. Many people from other European countries traveled by ferry and then bike to the conference.

They were horrified by our road infastructure and then bemused when they arrived to see the likes of the RSA handing out free hi vis jackets.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,896 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

harmless wrote: »
    Is it a coincidence that this thread has attracted so much attention now that traffic is really ramping up again.
    Are people just frustrated with our poor infrastructure and cyclists are an easy target for that frustration?

Let's be honest, this thread is not really about tax.

It’s just general outrage from sad Jeremy Clarkson types.

Angry about being stuck in traffic and being passed out by someone getting some healthy exercise.

They think because they pay a lot of money for their car and petroleum that it gives them a certain level of entitlement without them realising how much entitlement they already have.

That rampant me féin attitude that runs through Ireland is alive and spitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

We don't need to. Cyclists do plenty of that. The rest of us do not believe in collective punishment.

So being expected to obey speed limits or put your phones away is now some kind of "punishment"?

You've truly jumped the shark Sean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭micar

There's a thread about the horrible uninsured, unlicensed, drunk person who killed two people in his car and then fled the scene. It wont attract anywhere near as much attention as this thread. You wont see one person in there fuming about harder restrictions on motorists, they'll just shrug their shoulders and say god that's terrible.
    Being held up by cyclists is far more important than death and destruction on the roads.

Ultimately road traffic deaths get very little public online comments.....just look at The Journal and Facebook.

The vast majority of adults are drivers and seem be immune and desensitized to there types of accidents.

But an article on cycling brings them coming in their droves

Anyway......look at the RSA .... almost every ad you see is focused on the motorist/motorcyclist.....

Speeding, drink driving, drug driving, mobile phone, insurance,......

The odd "be safe, be seen" campaign during winter for cyclists.

The RSA are fully aware of who the problem on our roads lie.....pity the average motorists doesn't

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I'm curious why a bicycle would require an "NCT" when a motor bike - most of which can easily travel well over 120 kph - doesn't require one. Are there really that many bicycles with mechanical defects that require such a test?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,850 ✭✭✭SeanW

So being expected to obey speed limits or put your phones away is now some kind of "punishment"?

You've truly jumped the shark Sean.
    Actually no, I just oppose disproportionate and absurd laws like the proposed 30kph across Dublin, that are being pushed by cyclists. And the repeated claims that Ireland has a horrifying road safety record requiring massive crackdowns despite the fact that Ireland is literally global best practice for road safety. Ya know, proportionality.

And this comment is quite amusing coming from an Irish cyclist - if you want to generalise (and I know you do) - to whom the entire concept of obeying laws is a funny idea in theory. Maybe you and the rest of the cycling lobby should get off the footpaths before you complain about motorists driving at 35kph on a suburban distributor road.

Actually no, I just oppose disproportionate and absurd laws like the proposed 30kph across Dublin, that are being pushed by cyclists. And the repeated claims that Ireland has a horrifying road safety record requiring massive crackdowns despite the fact that Ireland is literally global best practice for road safety. Ya know, proportionality.

And this comment is quite amusing coming from an Irish cyclist - if you want to generalise (and I know you do) - to whom the entire concept of obeying laws is a funny idea in theory. Maybe you and the rest of the cycling lobby should get off the footpaths before you complain about motorists driving at 35kph on a suburban distributor road.

The 30k limit is coming. Maybe not this year, maybe not next year, maybe only bits will be brought in now but it is coming and it will be rolling out across cities, towns and villages across the country. It will become the standard approach that a justification will be needed for a road to not be 30k as opposed to the other way around

As for the rest, only people who don't regularly cycle on Irish roads would say they are safe for cycling on

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

After driving in some other countries I agree with this, the issue is not safety it's congestion with Dublin making the top 20 on many lists for most congested city in the world. I'm not a great cyclist but I can average 30km/h. Not in urban areas though, too much traffic.
    What is the solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,896 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Global best practice in something where huge levels of deaths are accepted? Wow. :rolleyes:

What consolation is it to an innocent pedestrian slaughtered by a motorist that their death came after x amount of kms driven?

Decades of propaganda has society accepting the deaths of large numbers of innocent people as inevitable. Amazing how car industry propaganda never shows what you get from your car. Deaths and congestion. The colonisation of public spaces for cars. Residential areas being ruined.

Motorists moaning and whinging about anything that has ever restricted them. Seat belts, drink driving legislation, penalty points, being caught speeding and endangering the lives of innocent people.

Their solution? Let's target people who don't cause congestion, pollution, and deaths. Even if they're six years old.

The absolute state of them.

But you know, we're killing less people than in Vietnam. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

micar wrote: »
    Ultimately road traffic deaths get very little public online comments.....just look at The Journal and Facebook.

The vast majority of adults are drivers and seem be immune and desensitized to there types of accidents.

But an article on cycling brings them coming in their droves

Anyway......look at the RSA .... almost every ad you see is focused on the motorist/motorcyclist.....

Speeding, drink driving, drug driving, mobile phone, insurance,......

The odd "be safe, be seen" campaign during winter for cyclists.

The RSA are fully aware of who the problem on our roads lie.....pity the average motorists doesn't

Women being left dead at the side of roads in hit and runs get no attention either. This happened a few months ago in Mayo and the journal article had 3 or 4 comments, they often try and make excuses for the drivers too. A couple with their toddler in a buggy were hurt in a hit and run accident recently and got one or two comments.
    When a cyclist gets killed immediately you'll have 100 comments with many blaming the death on the cyclist because they saw one break red lights.

The anti cycling bullsh*t needs to be called out for what it is, it's anti-vaxer Qanon level rubbish - the problem is it is often encouraged and facilitated by the media, that needs to stop too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

How many appear considerate but seething internally?

Last Saturday, a group of cyclists were out three abreast and wouldn't give me room to pass. If they had been cycling single file, I could have passed them safely but they refused to budge.

When I say "Lycra libertarians", this is what I'm complaining about.

And despite this, I'm proposing paying higher taxes (carbon taxes) to fund cycling infrastructure (among other things).

And I already said some inconsiderate motorist pulled out in front of me and proceeded to drive at about 30kmph, forcing me to stay behind.

If you are gonna pull out in front at least keep moving.

What fancy alliteration do you want to call that? Entitled (unt in a car, perhaps? :pac:

Wish I came on here to start a thread about modifying driver behaviour through taxation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Jeez some people on this thread need to lighten up and get out on a bike. It would do their humour the world of good

Seems like even cycling Ireland agrees with me that cycling more than two abreast is just plain wrong. So why are you defending these arseholes?
    http://www.cyclingireland.ie/downloads/ci%20ride%20leader%20-%20guide%20to%20cycling%20on%20the%20road.pdf

Shouldn't be 3, no, unless it was changing over who was at the front?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

km991148 wrote: »
    Shouldn't be 3, no, unless it was changing over who was at the front?

That's what the law says, for sure.

Though it is worth exploring what difference two abreast vs three abreast makes for the vehicle behind. Usually, the answer is : none.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,038 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Did you get it on dashcam for us all to see or is this yet another anecdote with no supporting evidence?
    Did you contact the gardai about this law breaking?
    For the record, I've cycled three abreast on public roads and it was perfectly safe and perfectly legal!

Section 47, S.I. No. 182/1997 - Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) Regulations, 1997
    A pedal cyclist shall not drive a pedal cycle on a roadway in such a manner as to result in more than two pedal cyclists driving abreast, save when overtaking other pedal cyclists, and then only if to do so will not endanger, inconvenience or obstruct other traffic or pedestrians

• Registered Users Posts: 22 CHESSMUTANT

This thread is embarrassing.

That's what the law says, for sure.

Though it is worth exploring what difference two abreast vs three abreast makes for the vehicle behind. Usually, the answer is : none.

I wouldn't encourage it - not with the current state of our roads. Too many obstacles to swerve etc.

I suspect it doesn't matter anyway - it has a made up feel to it.

Witcher wrote: »
    Section 47, S.I. No. 182/1997 - Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) Regulations, 1997
    I assume that you're backing up my point that it is possible to cycle three abreast legally!

I wouldn't encourage it - not with the current state of our roads. Too many obstacles to swerve etc.

I suspect it doesn't matter anyway - it has a made up feel to it.
    I have often overtaken two people cycling abreast who were travelling slower than I was. It isn't uncommon.

I have often overtaken two people cycling abreast who were travelling slower than I was. It isn't uncommon.

Overtaking is obviously fine and don't consider that cycling 3 abreast.

I mean't some roads are hopeless with holes and ditches and wouldn't encourage cycling 3 abreast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I assume that you're backing up my point that it is possible to cycle three abreast legally!

Is that three abreast though?

Would a car overtaking another car be considered as driving two abreast?

Overtaking is obviously fine and don't consider that cycling 3 abreast.
    Many drivers simply see three cyclists before seeing red as they make the assumption that the three are all travelling together and three abreast (before coming on boards telling everyone that all cyclists travel three abreast).
    In much the same way that drivers see three abreast when in fact you have two abreast and one behind but in the middle.

• Advertisement

Many drivers simply see three cyclists before seeing red as they make the assumption that the three are all travelling together and three abreast (before coming on boards telling everyone that all cyclists travel three abreast).
    In much the same way that drivers see three abreast when in fact you have two abreast and one behind but in the middle.

yep - I get you. Its why I asked if maybe there was a change of rider at the front going on - I was good faith questioning the situation before jumping on them or the cyclists.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement