Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists, insurance and road tax

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I've thought about moving my garden shed to the road to store my bikes. Much handier. Maybe I can put half of it on the path like my neighbours cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,640 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Not quite.
    A bell is required unless you're on a bike that is adapted for racing.
    How is 'adapted for racing' defined, out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Sono Topolino

There is no time limit on overtaking.

This is the kind of ridiculous Lycra Libertarian attitude I was just talking about.

"It's fine to cycle three abreast because if anyone asks, one of us is overtaking".

Christ on a bike. This is not what the law is meant to cover and if you do this you're a dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

osarusan wrote: »
    How is 'adapted for racing' defined, out of interest?
    It's not. It's a very antiquated law which never foresaw a scenario where the vast majority of bikes sold would be racing-style bikes, and utility bicycles would be in the minority.

One could argue that a BMX is "adapted for racing", since that's the purpose of it.

The law does need updating to clarify that the requirement for a bell and lights does not apply while the bicycle is being used for racing, but is required outside of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Sono Topolino

Another gripe of mine - little or no bikes have air horns.

How the heck are you supposed to warn people, let alone cars, that you're approaching?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭oisinog

Bells haven't really been covered here.
    I'll start: I don't have a bell on my road bike!

By the time you get your light on and the mount for your Wahoo or Garmen there is no room for a bell

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I don't understand why justifiable criticism .......or a troll, but I have actually tried hard to meet people half way and every attempt has just been spurned.

Yeah, ok so, not quite sure you even read your own posts.....
    .....the Lycra Libertarians as I call them, which go out of their way to cause a nuisance .....
    Happily, once cyclists have their own greenways and places to enjoy the sport off main roads, Lycra Libertarians can be obnoxious to other cyclists without putting their own lives at risk. That seems fair?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭micar

Bells haven't really been covered here.
    I'll start: I don't have a bell on my road bike!

Passed a girl on a bike while cycling home from work......must have given her a fright.

Anyway, I stop at a red light (shock horror)

As she overtakes me to turn left going through the red light, she says I should have a bell ....go figure

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,657 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

AFAIK air horns are illegal on bikes.
    none of my bikes have bells, i prefer using my voice; some people don't react well to bells, from what i understand. can be seen as passive aggressive by many.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I always ask my kids to use their bell as they approach someone from behind. About half the time the person will look over their shoulder and smile waving the kids past. The rest will not even acknowledge them or will give a dirty look. In one case a mad woman (karen in 2021 speak) started giving me a lecture saying they shouldn't be cycling on the path* while my 4 year old looked on in amusement. She still refers to her as the crazy lady :pac:
    I think the pandemic and lockdown have made people a bit crazy (as this thread demonstrates).

*I was on foot btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

This is the kind of ridiculous Lycra Libertarian attitude I was just talking about.

Do you understand how annoying it is to have to listen to this crap? I don't and have never owned a car. I use a bike to go to the shops and to go to work or to visit my parents or whatever. And you're trying to make it sound like some lifestyle choice. You live in a blinkered world if you think people only use bikes as a hobby.
    Would you prefer it if I put another car on the road and used it for all my short journeys?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

It's on narrow country roads where there's no alternative but to drive to get from A to B that cyclists are a major annoyance for motorists.

Cyclists have the right to enjoy the natural splendour of rural Ireland, but they should have their own greenways for that.

Cyclists are a major annoyance on country roads? From your one example of one time you met 3 cyclists cycling abreast for a mile which may have inconvenienced you for less than 5 minutes.
    How often are you majorly annoyed by cyclists? Is it just the lycra that annoys you?

I would say 50% of my journeys on the bike involve a closer than comfortable pass by a car. Which can have far worse consequences than delaying your journey a small amount.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I've found that using my bell from 5m away get's the best response. If I wait till I'm on a persons shoulder then they react like a flock of deer and I've no idea which way they'll go.

I was once on a run in Toronto, I was running along the pavement and came to group of 4 people straddling the full width of the path, I shouted "excuse me, on your left", one of the group reacted "what the hell is that", I shouted back, "it's a polite way of saying get the f*** out of my way"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

km991148 wrote: »
    My point is that motoristrs are already getting a good deal, especially compared to cyclists who also drive (most of them).

The luxury of motoring is, by its very nature expensive - and that's including that its already heavily subsidised.

I am well aware of how much of a rip off my annual tax bill is. And you want me to pay even more to fund this crazy system of transport we have in Ireland..

Maybe we've got wires crossed here. I thought you were arguing for higher taxes on motorists. I'm not. We're already ripped off enough just for the privilege of getting to work etc.

liamog wrote: »

I was once on a run in Toronto, I was running along the pavement and came to group of 4 people straddling the full width of the path, I shouted "excuse me, on your left", one of the group reacted "what the hell is that", I shouted back, "it's a polite way of saying get the f*** out of my way"

:D:D:D:D

Maybe we've got wires crossed here. I thought you were arguing for higher taxes on motorists. I'm not. We're already ripped off enough just for the privilege of getting to work etc.

Nope it was the person who started the Ant-Cycling thread who wants higher tax for motorists. If you can figure that you you are better than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I feel like I've been part of an elaborate hoax to feed Sono Topolino's ego ........

In fact, not even an elaborate hoax. A pretty simple one.

Joke's on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭doiredoire

Weepsie wrote: »
    Don't blow their tiny little mind like that
    Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I feel like I've been part of an elaborate hoax to feed Sono Topolino's ego ........

In fact, not even an elaborate hoax. A pretty simple one.

Joke's on me.

He’s a troll

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

none of my bikes have bells, i prefer using my voice; some people don't react well to bells, from what i understand. can be seen as passive aggressive by many.

People use bells/horns all the time on shared bike paths and spaces in Northern Europe, and you know what happens ? People hear the bell/horn and if they're taking up an unreasonable amount of space just move in to make space for others to pass. No offense given, no offence taken, just adults acting like adults.

It's sadly another example of how immature and unnecessarily defensive people in Ireland can be in their thinking about shared spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Duckjob wrote: »
    People use bells/horns all the time on shared bike paths and spaces in Northern Europe, and you know what happens ? People hear the bell/horn and if they're taking up an unreasonable amount of space just move in to make space for others to pass. No offense given, no offence taken, just adults acting like adults.

It's sadly another example of how immature and unnecessarily defensive people in Ireland can be in their thinking about shared spaces.

Yeah I never use one here you could get your head kicked in if you belled the wrong person

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Another gripe of mine - little or no bikes have air horns.

How the heck are you supposed to warn people, let alone cars, that you're approaching?

Air horns are illegal. Yet again, it would help if you do some research before posting your gripes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

If it’s on a bike it offends. Fits right in with this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

"It's fine to cycle three abreast because if anyone asks, one of us is overtaking".

Christ on a bike. This is not what the law is meant to cover and if you do this you're a dick.

Sorry that the legal reality doesn't meet your personal desires.

Can I take it from your deep enthusiasm for legal compliance by road users that you never break a speed limit yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

liamog wrote: »
    You are probably one of those people I get extremely frustrated driving behind, if you think overtaking two cyclists is a problem then you are probably one of those people who can't overtake any slow moving vehicle.
    There is plenty of room in the opposing lane that can be used for the overtake, you don't have to keep one wheel in your lane.

You have it very wrong as i will pass anything in an instant.
    However from time to time i have come across groups of bikes of 12+ on roads where single white line pretty well continious for about 6km where it is impossible to overtake without causing danger,
    I have had to cross (white line which is illegal) to overtake and have done this often. This is the only problem i have with bicycles.
    The problem really is these roads were built for bicycles and have not being upgraded to what is required in 2021...
    I am actually going for a spin on my bicycle shortly...

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭gmacww

Honestly, as stated in my OP, I think cycling is a no brainer in cities. It's on narrow country roads where there's no alternative but to drive to get from A to B that cyclists are a major annoyance for motorists.

Cyclists have the right to enjoy the natural splendour of rural Ireland, but they should have their own greenways for that.

So let me ask you this. I live in the country side but work Dublin city center. I cycle to and from work, 35km each way. There is always an alternative if you want one.

Now if cycling in the city is a no brainer but in the country side it's not what do I do to get in and out of work if I should only be cycling on greenways? Do we have defined limits on where you need to stop cycling e.g. edge of the city limit? Do we do the same in reverse stop driving into the city from that same point?

When I'm on my way home what do I do when I reach the edge of what would be deemed built up and I still have 20km to go? Do I cycle to that point, get off the bike and walk the 20km home on a road which has no path. So walk pushing a bike on the same road that I could be cycling on thus being slower and more awkward for a car to over take me. What's your solution here for people who work in cities but live on quite country roads and yet cycle to and from work?

You have it very wrong as i will pass anything in an instant.
    However from time to time i have come across groups of bikes of 12+ on roads where single white line pretty well continious for about 6km where it is impossible to overtake without causing danger,
    I have had to cross (white line which is illegal) to overtake and have done this often. This is the only problem i have with bicycles.
    The problem really is these roads were built for bicycles and have not being upgraded to what is required in 2021...
    I am actually going for a spin on my bicycle shortly...

No you did not have to cross the white line. No one forced you. You choose to break the law and endanger the cyclists and anyone coming the opposite direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Where is this stated?
    The law does not allow three abreast.
    If it does someone here will post confirmation of this..

47. (1) A pedal cyclist shall not drive a pedal cycle on a roadway in such a manner as to result in more than two pedal cyclists driving abreast, save when overtaking other pedal cyclists,

Traumadoc wrote: »
    47. (1) A pedal cyclist shall not drive a pedal cycle on a roadway in such a manner as to result in more than two pedal cyclists driving abreast, save when overtaking other pedal cyclists,

5th time posted now, and I don’t recall him acknowledging that he was completely wrong when he said that one bike is not allowed to overtake 2 others abreast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

This thread is quickly approaching the point where it might be easier for all
    Concerned to tax cyclists. Or ban cycling altogether.

• Advertisement

This thread is quickly approaching the point where it might be easier for all
    Concerned to tax cyclists. Or ban cycling altogether.

Or ban cars as the some of the people driving them are clueless?

I’m off to sell my car right now so I cash in before the ban!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement