Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists, insurance and road tax

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Why are so many cyclists so against anything like helmets that they see as deterring people from cycling. Surely they should just be happy that they themselves cycle, or is there a reason that they want so many more cyclists that isnt being explained here ? Surely keeping it a niche benefits them with more bike rack spaces and free-er cycle paths

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Why are so many cyclists so against anything like helmets that they see as deterring people from cycling. Surely they should just be happy that they themselves cycle, or is there a reason that they want so many more cyclists that isnt being explained here ? Surely keeping it a niche benefits them with more bike rack spaces and free-er cycle paths

Because more people cycling makes things safer for all cyclists helmets or not. Less people cycling makes things more dangerous for everyone who cycles. You can understand how you can end up in a negative feedback loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Goals moved again.

80% of cyclists are also motorists. The more people on bikes, the better it is in genereal as it should lead to an increase in cycling infrastructure (hopefully high grade), and lower numbers of vehicles when they are in a car.

Do you have evidence for the effectiveness of polystyrene against a 2 tonne vehicle?

How do you see bike share schemes working?

Are you canvassing politicians for helmets in cars as do many more severe head injuries occur in motor collisions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Coming back from the shops today (walking, it's great free exercise-some of you should try it!!!) and a motorist pulls a delivery van pulls out in to the road and blocks traffic in one lane for about 30 seconds. None of the motorists seemed at all bothered by it. I wonder would they have been so calm if a cyclist had blocked them for the same length of time while showing the same level of utter contempt for them.

If he had blocked the cycle lane would the cyclists have seen bothered by it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I'm not wearing one because I don't want to and they're a hassle.
    What's odd is the faux concern from motorists over helmets, you just want to make it more inconvenient for us and Ireland will never pass a helmet law so you're wasting your time.
    And more cyclists = critical mass = more infrastructure, less cars, and more annoyance to motorists.

• Advertisement

EddieN75 wrote: »
    If he had blocked the cycle lane would the cyclists have seen bothered by it?

Every morning for years the cycle land on Westland Row was blocked by vans, it is annoying yes because you have to go around them and into traffic so it can hold you up for a while or can be dangerous.

Every morning for years the cycle land on Westland Row was blocked by vans, it is annoying yes because you have to go around them and into traffic so it can hold you up for a while or can be dangerous.

Why are they parked there?

Can you not ring the council or better yet the Gardai?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I take it that you didn't put much thought into your question! :rolleyes:

Why are they parked there?

Can you not ring the council or better yet the Gardai?

Doing deliveries, tradesmen etc. The Garda don't care about this kind of thing and they do it themselves all the time.
    The council did respond to complaints and have now installed wands.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,655 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

in short, if your answer to the question 'how can we make cycling safer?' is 'helmets', you don't understand the problem.

• Advertisement

Doing deliveries, tradesmen etc. The Garda don't care about this kind of thing and they do it themselves all the time.
    The council did respond to complaints and have now installed wands.

Oh I see. People who are actually working or delivery vehicles who are permitted to park briefly.

I have no issue then. No need to ring the Gardai. I thought you meant people just abandoning their vehicles for no real reason sort from rudeness and laziness.

Oh I see. People who are actually working or delivery vehicles who are permitted to park briefly.

I have no issue then. No need to ring the Gardai. I thought you meant people just abandoning their vehicles for no real reason sort from rudeness and laziness.

Well there's plenty of abandoned and parked cars in most cycle lanes, I was just giving an example of where it used to affect me every day.
    They're not permitted to park briefly anyway, there are loading bays nearby they just never use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Why don't they stop in the traffic lane that most motor traffic use?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I get why you say this.

Yes, to be honest it does seem counterintuitive.

However bear in mind that most cyclists do actually wear helmets. The vast majority.

So its not that cyclists are against helmets.

The issue for cyclists is the discourse around road safety being defined in terms of cyclists needing to take personal responsibility, by wearing helmets, by wearing hi viz......cyclists be seen....the poor old driver cant see you in your ordinary clothes .....cyclists wear a helmet, if you get whacked by a car you will need it.

Cyclists would rather not get whacked by a car in the first place, helmet or no helmet. Cyclists dont want to take a chance that a driver overtaking them is also answering a whatsapp message, hi viz wont make a difference.

Hence, cyclists would like safe infrastructure.

And to your point - cyclists absolutely want more and more and more new cyclists on the road.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,655 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

We do not design helmets specifically to reduce chances or severity of injury when impacts involve a car; the number of variables is too great to calculate.
    that's a statement from a senior manager at giro helmets, one of the world's best known cycling helmet brands.
    most non-cyclists don't seem to realise that bicycle helmets are designed to protect primarily against simple falls, not against being hit by motorised vehicles.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonreid/2020/07/10/bicycle-helmets-not-designed-for-impacts-from-cars-stresses-leading-maker-giro/?sh=3106e7cbcbd4

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Because more cyclists has the effect of creating more facilities, more awareness, and makes cycling overall a safer pursuit.

This is only natural. If vehicles made up only 10% of all transport, there would be no motorways, parking spaces would be extremely sparse, roads would be narrow, poorly maintained and poorly designed. You would frequently have to park your car and get out and walk 10-15 mins to where you wanted to go, no pulling up to the door. And the number of people killed by cars would be proportionally huge.

You might be able to say it's great, cars are a niche pursuit, the roads are mostly clear and you have your pick of parking spots. But you wouldn't be happy, right?

85603 wrote: »
    Good question.

Well, she should be in your guardianship, and thus not on any road, path only, so no.

If youre on a bike shes covered by your policy.
    If youre not then no. Doesnt count

So cyclists are OK on footpaths?

Jeez, none of this makes sense .
    Or you havent really thought this through

Why don't they stop in the traffic lane that most motor traffic use?

Just because they are out to annoy cyclists I would imagine. I see no other reason.

Just because they are out to annoy cyclists I would imagine. I see no other reason.

Cyclists are perceived by some to be somehow secondary road users by some - I know the wife complains if a cyclist "holds her up".

Cyclists are perceived by some to be somehow secondary road users by some - I know the wife complains if a cyclist "holds her up".

Why was the cyclist out on the road with the cars?
    They should be in their own little lane. And if no lanes available ie rural then they should be peddling around an Eamon Ryan greenway.

Roads are for cars, etc

• Advertisement

Why was the cyclist out on the road with the cars?
    They should be in their own little lane. And if no lanes available ie rural then they should be peddling around an Eamon Ryan greenway.

Roads are for cars, etc

The trolls are out today anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I think he was being sarcastic tbf.
    I haven't been following the last few days but did someone seriously suggest that 12 year olds should have to get bike insurance :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Well I would presume after over 100 pages all the sensible discussion has happened.

Everybody knows that cycling in cities is the future. Single occupancy transport . I would suggest removing car parking spaces and turning them into loading bays for delivery drivers and tradesmen.

Eventually I can see one lane for cycling, one lane for driving and one lane for public transport. Public transport also need to be ramped up.

Cycling in rural areas is for the brave in my opinion. Single cyclists not so much but a tightly bunched 2 or 3 abreast group always looks risky to me.
    If people want to do it then it's none of my business

Just lay off the delivery vehicles. These guys are working from 6 am to 10pm in some cases. Parking in cities is impossible for every delivery address. It's something that will not change. It's not their fault

Cycling in rural areas is for the brave in my opinion. Single cyclists not so much but a tightly bunched 2 or 3 abreast group always looks risky to me.
    i do most of my (solo) cycling in the country and i would hazard a guess that it's much safer than urban cycling. with group cycling i suspect you'd be more at risk from the bunch cycling itself than you would be from motorised vehicles. either way, probably still safer than urban cycling.

i do most of my (solo) cycling in the country and i would hazard a guess that it's much safer than urban cycling. with group cycling i suspect you'd be more at risk from the bunch cycling itself than you would be from motorised vehicles. either way, probably still safer than urban cycling.

Possibly so. I don't have the experience of both so it was only an observation.

Have you done much cycling around Dublin for example

i used to cycle, prior to lockdown, from glasnevin to leopardstown for work. not city centre cycling though.

i used to cycle, prior to lockdown, from glasnevin to leopardstown for work. not city centre cycling though.

Up around the quays pre Covid would be hell I would imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

As a motorists I don't want anything deterring people from cycling. It simply means less cars - less tail backs.

What I do find bizarre is some motorists rage at cyclists not wearing helmets. It's comparable to cyclist raging at motorist for not wearing gum shields and knee pads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭doiredoire

Do you think before you post?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement