Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists, insurance and road tax

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭VonLuck

20Wheel wrote: »
    Its not surprising that people park in cycle lanes, the city often simply cant accommodate them. Squeeze in a jogger lane and a scooter lane while youre at it.
    joggers rights, we need more jogging infrastructure.

You're right. Cities can't accommodate cars anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,406 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The complaining t-shirt is long worn out. I've done the emails, I've done the phone calls, I've done the Twitter thing (one of the big delivery companies blocked me last year for a polite, civil tweet about their driver on a footpath), I've called the Gardai, I've called the clampers.

Is there anything else you'd like me to do before we actually ask drivers to just obey the feckin law?

Bizarrely, it IS legal to park on double-yellows for up to 30 minutes for loading or unloading, but not on Clearways or cycle lanes. If path side parking is the only option then 1) it should be parked on the road, in the main traffic lane, and 2) it should be scheduled outside of peak traffic hours.

Here's some of today's bunch of commercial and other drivers that chose to block footpaths or cycle lanes rather than finding legal and safe parking. Some of these had spacious driveways available, or car parks across the road or inside, but always, always, always, saving the almighty driver two minutes or €2 to pay for parking trumps pedestrians and cyclists having safe journeys. Businesses like Gaswise, Dublin Meats, GWS Landscaping should really think about the image this creates for their brand.

This isn't a rare event or 'just for a few minutes'. This is constant, persistent selfishness, putting their own convenience ahead of everyone else.

Oh god ya there is loads of crap illegal parking every day but "the delivery man" much like the cyclist is not a hive mind and I do come across some that genuinely can't help it as well. If they would just crack down on the shocking level of illegal parking by private vehicles on cycle lanes and double yellows I would be happy with the odd van

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

There are some very decent and responsible businesses that refuse deliveries if the driver has parked illegally. It would be nice if every company was as socially responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,850 ✭✭✭SeanW

VonLuck wrote: »
    That's why you pull up somewhere more suitable! You don't get to disobey the rules just because it would be inconvenient to follow them.
    That doesn't seem to stop a lot of cyclists from playing zoom-zoom on the footpath. Or sailing merrily through red lights. All the while bitching and moaning about others breaking the law.
    :rolleyes:

SeanW wrote: »
    That doesn't seem to stop a lot of cyclists from playing zoom-zoom on the footpath. Or sailing merrily through red lights. All the while bitching and moaning about others breaking the law.

Bingo!!!

What’s my prize??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Bingo!!!

What’s my prize??

In fairness, Seanie is absolutely correct in what he says.

He doesn't seem to have realised that law breaking motorists kill 2 or 3 people each week while cyclists kill 1 person each decade, but I'm confident that he'll get there soon.

People are getting killed by parked cars? Even cars that are parked legally in off-street parking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭micar

That's right Sean...the problem on our roads are cyclists zoom zooming on footpaths and sailing through red lights.

You need to get into the RSA and ask them to do a radio, tv, newspaper and an online campaign on these issues that are so endemic on our roads.

When you do, post their response here.

People are getting killed by parked cars? Even cars that are parked legally in off-street parking?

If the car park in question was legal, ABP wouldn't have thrown it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

VonLuck wrote: »
    You're right. Cities can't accommodate cars anymore!

no more heavy goods will be delivered so.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Advertisement

No one said that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Private cars =/= HGVs & other commercial vehicles.

No one said that.

zeppelins? cool.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

If the car park in question was legal, ABP wouldn't have thrown it out.
    And the cyclists objected because:

A) Irish drivers are so dangerous that even when they're in their apartment, their cars are killing cyclists just by being parked in a parking garage?
    B) Some in the cycling fraternity have an axe to grind?

I wonder which it could be? :rolleyes:

Bingo!!!

What’s my prize??
    Congratulations, you get two prizes.

1) A free pass to be a complete douchebag to pedestrians.
    2) An unearned, hypocritical sense of moral superiority and self-entitlement.

tax the whole cycling and escooter equipment category.

use the money to build and maintain segregated routes in the larger towns and cities.

maybe some kind of pooled insurance fund too, for victims of cyclist related injuries.

He doesn't seem to have realised that law breaking motorists kill 2 or 3 people each week while cyclists kill 1 person each decade, but I'm confident that he'll get there soon.

It still doesn't excuse the behavior of some cyclists though.

But his post does highlight what I was saying earlier about cyclists on here who are happy to tar other groups with one brush but have a meltdown when people play cycling bingo

use the money to build and maintain segregated routes in the larger towns and cities.

maybe some kind of pooled insurance fund too, for victims of cyclist related injuries.

Wouldn't need to be much of a fund in fairness and most cycling infrastructure is paid for from income tax, VAT and the EU same as roads

• Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Allinall

Where’s your evidence that it’s law breaking motorists that kill 2 or 3 people each week?

2) An unearned, hypocritical sense of moral superiority and self-entitlement.

Ain’t you a lovely guy. Your patents must be so proud of you.

• Advertisement

Like VAT?
    that could work

Oh wait...

If only that was an original thought. All this has been discussed over and over in this thread. Please explain how your version would work compared to the others suggested in the thread.

Allinall wrote: »
    Where’s your evidence that it’s law breaking motorists that kill 2 or 3 people each week?

https://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Road-Safety/RSA-Statistics/Deaths-injuries-on-Irish-roads/

Drink driving, speeding, mobile phone use, fatigue driving - the causes of road deaths are well established

https://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Road-Safety/RSA-Statistics/Deaths-injuries-on-Irish-roads/

Though in relative terms, gimme a complete douchebag over killing 30-40 each year any day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Well you don't know me, and I don't do that, but let's say for argument's sake that I did. Does that suddenly allow motorists to break the law?

I saw some guy throw rubbish onto the grass in the park. Sure if he can do it, why don't I just throw my household waste into a ditch somewhere?

Drink driving, speeding, mobile phone use, fatigue driving - the causes of road deaths are well established

Neither of those links show that it’s law breaking motorists that kill 2 or 3 people each week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,655 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm pretty sure killing people is against the law?

i'm pretty sure killing people is against the law?

Always?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,655 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you at the very least need a note from your mother.

• Advertisement

If only that was an original thought. All this has been discussed over and over in this thread. Please explain how your version would work compared to the others suggested in the thread.

citation needed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement