Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists, insurance and road tax

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Allinall

you at the very least need a note from your mother.

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

20Wheel wrote: »
    citation needed.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058179253/1

So go on. Enlighten everyone with your unique approach that is guaranteed to work. Unless you have no original ideas and are just here for a wind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058179253/1

So go on. Enlighten everyone with your unique approach that is guaranteed to work. Unless you have no original ideas and are just here for a wind up.

thats the start of the thread, are you not referring to something in particular?

and no, im not here to wind up cyclists.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

micar wrote: »
    That's right Sean...the problem on our roads are cyclists zoom zooming on footpaths and sailing through red lights.

You need to get into the RSA and ask them to do a radio, tv, newspaper and an online campaign on these issues that are so endemic on our roads.

When you do, post their response here.

There are many problem on our roads. It's not a general attack on cyclists to say that cyclists sailing through red lights is one of them, as is cycling against the traffic on one way streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

SeanW wrote: »
    That doesn't seem to stop a lot of cyclists from playing zoom-zoom on the footpath. Or sailing merrily through red lights. All the while bitching and moaning about others breaking the law.
    :rolleyes:

That doesn't seem to stop a lot of motorists from abandoning their metal boxes on footpaths. Or sailing merrily through red lights. All the while bitching and moaning about others breaking the law.
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

thats the start of the thread, are you not referring to something in particular?

and no, im not here to wind up cyclists.

You won’t have read too much to realise that it has been covered. However, I am intrigued with your suggestion and I want to hear your unique approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

tax the whole cycling and escooter equipment category.

use the money to build and maintain segregated routes in the larger towns and cities.

maybe some kind of pooled insurance fund too, for victims of cyclist related injuries.

Another motorist joining in with the same tired nonsense. It's like a tag team.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

use the money to build and maintain segregated routes in the larger towns and cities.

maybe some kind of pooled insurance fund too, for victims of cyclist related injuries.

As motorists we have to be very very careful in our demands, insisting on taxing and insuring bikes and e-scooters could open a pandoras box where we end up also paying a road tax that would be exponentially more expensive than the lighter vehicles that are easier on the roads, don't cause much damage and aren't allowed use the most expensive roads in the country.

Imagine a road tax was introduced for bikes to maintain cycle infrastructure (which is cheap) and a corresponding road tax was introduced to motorists to pay for the multi million motorway network instead of it coming from general taxation?

Motorways can cost upwards of €15 million per kilometre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

John_Rambo wrote: »
    As motorists we have to be very very careful in our demands, insisting on taxing and insuring bikes and e-scooters could open a pandoras box where we end up also paying a road tax that would be exponentially more expensive than the lighter vehicles that are easier on the roads, don't cause much damage and aren't allowed use the most expensive roads in the country.

Imagine a road tax was introduced for bikes to maintain cycle infrastructure (which is cheap) and a corresponding road tax was introduced to motorists to pay for the multi million motorway network instead of it coming from general taxation?

I already covered the specific taxes on motoring earlier in the thread. They more than cover the road building/maintenance bill.

The reason we motorists should be careful about demanding that these other road users should be taxed is because it's an insane idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭micar

There are many problem on our roads. It's not a general attack on cyclists to say that cyclists sailing through red lights is one of them, as is cycling against the traffic on one way streets.

He used the words "a lot" .....which infers the majority

So, it's not attack on a few cyclists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

How much revenue will this "whole cycling and scooter equipment" tax bring in?
    How much will The administration of this tax cost?
    How much tax will need to be generated to build one kilometre of safe,segregated cycle lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Allinall wrote: »
    Always?

There are some forms of mercy killings allowed when people are seen flogging dead horses, particularly on bulletin board threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Sono Topolino

I would have solved these problems pages ago where I would have advocated 1 way streets in city centres alongside two way cycle lanes and loading bays, but mods threadbanned me and people ignore what I say in favour of what they think I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,850 ✭✭✭SeanW

He used the words "a lot" .....which infers the majority

So, it's not attack on a few cyclists.
    "A lot" is not specific. but it is common. I'm a daily pedestrian in Ireland, many years of that in Ireland's major cities. I get a certain baseline level of respect from motorists that I don't get from cyclists. I don't have to worry about the average Irish motorist and the data is clear on that point. Cyclists on the footpath, and cutting off pedestrians at junctions on the other hand ... well, one has to learn fairly quickly to get out of their way.
    Though in relative terms, gimme a complete douchebag over killing 30-40 each year any day
    Most of which are not caused by the driver. Funny how you leave that part out. Also funny how you leave out the total number of Irish drivers - likely because this would show that killer drivers are extremely rare. But hey, I guess dead people are useful if you're looking for a cudgel.
    VonLuck wrote: »
    Well you don't know me, and I don't do that, but let's say for argument's sake that I did. Does that suddenly allow motorists to break the law?
    If you are a cyclist who never mounts a kerb and never breaks a red light, then you may, as the old religious used to say "cast the first stone."
    I saw some guy throw rubbish onto the grass in the park. Sure if he can do it, why don't I just throw my household waste into a ditch somewhere?
    No. But if you were to throw your household waste in a ditch, you'd be in little position to criticise someone else for throwing away a sweet wrapper. Yet that's basically what some cyclists do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Trekker09

"A lot" is not specific. but it is common. I'm a daily pedestrian in Ireland, many years of that in Ireland's major cities. I get a certain baseline level of respect from motorists that I don't get from cyclists.

Get on a bike and see that 'driver respect' plummet.

Whilst the majority of drivers are fine, that small percentage is enough to make a massive difference. If the conforming driver rate was 99% the risk is still a major one for cyclists. On my commute there could be several hundred cars that pass me every day, so the odds are stacked against cyclist at being at risk of other road users. Every cyclist has at least 1 near miss every spin that is the fault of other road users. Cyclists are more at risk from pedestrians stepping out on the road. Should pedestrians have insurance?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

"A lot" is not specific. but it is common. I'm a daily pedestrian in Ireland, many years of that in Ireland's major cities. I get a certain baseline level of respect from motorists that I don't get from cyclists. I don't have to worry about the average Irish motorist and the data is clear on that point. Cyclists on the footpath, and cutting off pedestrians at junctions on the other hand ... well, one has to learn fairly quickly to get out of their way..

That is bull to be fair. I lived in the city centre for years and was exclusively a pedestrian and by far the most dangerous class of road user were the professional drivers. This does include bicycle couriers but worse than them were taxis (by far no. 1), buses and delivery drivers. Most issues with private cyclists was when they were victims of an incident rather than the reason. The RSA stats would bear this out pretty clearly.
    The one time I did see a cyclist hit a pedestrian was where someone was dodging through stopped cars trying to cross the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

. I don't have to worry about the average Irish motorist and the data is clear on that point.

I would suggest that the evidence is to the contrary........... overwhelmingly.

"A lot" is not specific. but it is common. I'm a daily pedestrian in Ireland, many years of that in Ireland's major cities. I get a certain baseline level of respect from motorists that I don't get from cyclists. I don't have to worry about the average Irish motorist and the data is clear on that point. Cyclists on the footpath, and cutting off pedestrians at junctions on the other hand ... well, one has to learn fairly quickly to get out of their way.

Most of which are not caused by the driver. Funny how you leave that part out. Also funny how you leave out the total number of Irish drivers - likely because this would show that killer drivers are extremely rare. But hey, I guess dead people are useful if you're looking for a cudgel.

If you are a cyclist who never mounts a kerb and never breaks a red light, then you may, as the old religious used to say "cast the first stone."

No. But if you were to throw your household waste in a ditch, you'd be in little position to criticise someone else for throwing away a sweet wrapper. Yet that's basically what some cyclists do.

Well that is BS. I’m guessing that the furthest you walk is from your car parked outside a shop, into a shop, because your experience doesn’t match anyone who has walked any further distance. You probably drive around for half an hour just to get parking outside the shop too.

So can you not just admit that you hate people when they are on bikes for no rational reason and want to punish them….although when they are on foot they are ok, and they’re really cool when delaying you when they drive?

I am cycling for 20+ years, in all that time i had just one serious incident.
    I think if a cyclists is having a near miss every time they should seriously consider why they are putting their lives at wish.
    It may be they get "a buzz" from the excitement and the danger attached to the danger of it all.
    Cyclists are the worst offenders at pedestrian crossings....

I’ll bite. Show the evidence! When you can’t/don’t then please have the honesty to admit you made it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I’ll bite. Show the evidence!

I have a post of something else but when i tried to put it up last week it failed.
    The mod told me to put it on UTUBE....

• Advertisement

I have a post of something else but when i tried to put it up last week it failed.
    The mod told me to put it on UTUBE....

So you claim to have evidence of one incidence. So basically you made up that cyclists were the worst offenders at pedestrian crossings.

So you claim to have evidence of one incidence. So basically you made the claim up.

Your just a silly person and some of your posts confirms this...

Your just a silly person and some of your posts confirms this...

Please stop trying to use personal insults. You are the third person on this thread to do so towards me when they can’t back up what they are saying. Either you can argue a point or you can’t. So please provide evidence to back up what you said.

Please stop trying to use personal insults. You are the third person on this thread to do so towards me when they can’t back up what they are saying. Either you can argue a point or you can’t. So please provide evidence to back up what you said.

You said i was telling lies off with you...
    I made my point and its true, you would not know the difference between truth and lies...
    This is "a forum" not a court so no proof requires, you clearly do not understand...

You said i was telling lies off with you...
    I made my point and its true, you would not know the difference between truth and lies...
    This is "a forum" not a court so no proof requires, you clearly do not understand...

If you make a spurious claim without evidence, then you should expect to be challenged on it. Otherwise it can be rightfully be deemed as nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭VonLuck

That doesn't invalidate the original point though. If someone accuses you of committing a crime and they had committed one previously, it doesn't suddenly mean that the crime didn't happen. Objectively you are still in the wrong and you can't justify it by saying "yeah, but you kinda do it too".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭micar

https://twitter.com/righttobikeit/status/1327335788980428803?s=19

Grrrrrr....cyclists zooming zooming on the footpath

https://twitter.com/righttobikeit/status/1327335788980428803?s=19

Grrrrrr....cyclists zooming zooming on the footpath

We just need better infastructure, we are encouraged to cycle but it really isn't safe as we need to have better cycling lanes and the space simply is not available on our current roads.
    I am cycling for years and there is no way i would cycle on the road where that clip is taken.
    We are way behind the rest of Europe when it comes to sharing road space.
    Instead of argueing with each other about who has more right to the road we should be getting together and demand better safer infastructure for safety of us all, also a bit of respect instead of blaming.
    I think most cyclists are also motorists so we should be getting together on this one.
    I am going on the bike shortly and i am concious of what i need to do on the bike and in the car.
    It may not be a bad idea to get together and demand better infastructure for bicycles but not by taking too much of the available road-space.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It may not be a bad idea to get together and demand better infastructure for bicycles but not by taking too much of the available road-space.
    How do you propose to square that circle then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

We are way behind the rest of Europe when it comes to sharing road space.

... demand better infastructure for bicycles but not by taking too much of the available road-space.

D’ya not think these 2 statements might be linked somehow?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement