Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists, insurance and road tax

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Smee_Again wrote: »
    D’ya not think these 2 statements might be linked somehow?

I made an error.
    What i meant to say we are way behind the rest of Europe when it comes to general infastructure for all traffic...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

How do you propose to square that circle then?

Better public transport especially trains and build new and better roads...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

SeanW wrote: »
    That doesn't seem to stop a lot of cyclists from playing zoom-zoom on the footpath.
    Speaking of Zoom Zoom, this seemed to be some kind of club or convoy of high powered vehicles, Porsche, Range Rover using the public road as a race track for their club outing. Do the lads get all excited down below when they get to play Zoom Zoom?

https://streamable.com/fgu2a1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

I made an error.
    What i meant to say we are way behind the rest of Europe when it comes to general infastructure for all traffic...

No, you were correct and you also succinctly showed why we are behind much of Europe.

And then there was this nice man, one of the best drivers in the world so we're repeatedly told, using his time on the road to catch up on his paperwork at the wheel.

https://streamable.com/ukxu2u

I hope he managed to pass the cyclist safely down the road.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,640 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Your just a silly person and some of your posts confirms this...

maestroamado do not post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I don't care if it's whataboutery, but why don't angry posters make threads about the likes of this?

https://www.thejournal.ie/gardai-speeding-learner-driver-139kmh-5426554-May2021/

learner driver driving on his own doing 140km/h in a 100 zone. Now that's what I call dangerous, not a cyclist on a footpath "nearly" hitting you.

EddieN75 wrote: »
    Failing a call to Joe Duffy it looks like you are just going to have to put up with it

I dunno, there does seem to be a tide turning, with public opinion, with commentary here, with certain public authorities leading the way.

Times they are a changin

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Congratulations, you get two prizes.

1) A free pass to be a complete douchebag to pedestrians.
    2) An unearned, hypocritical sense of moral superiority and self-entitlement.

Threadbanned

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,655 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

State body in charge of national road network calls for mandatory registration and insurance of e-scooters
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40279619.html

seems related to the topic - but this is an absolute howler:
    It claimed registration and insurance for e-scooters would act as a deterrent for users who failed to obey traffic rules or who caused obstructions on footpaths

• Advertisement

State body in charge of national road network calls for mandatory registration and insurance of e-scooters

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

That entire article is crazy. E-scooters not allowed use bus lanes? So they're supposed to use "the middle of the road"? Same risk of injury as a "manual bike" at speeds less than 25km/hr but they have to be speed limited to 20km/hr.
    A shift away from use of private cars, also presented a range of new safety challenges. Recent research demonstrates that e-mobility has the potential to injure pedestrians and poor parking contributes to trip hazards,” Dr Meade said.

More so than the private cars they replaced!?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Sono Topolino

Absurd to require this of e-scooters and not bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭carfinder

Trekker09 wrote: »
    "A lot" is not specific. but it is common. I'm a daily pedestrian in Ireland, many years of that in Ireland's major cities. I get a certain baseline level of respect from motorists that I don't get from cyclists.

Get on a bike and see that 'driver respect' plummet.

Whilst the majority of drivers are fine, that small percentage is enough to make a massive difference. If the conforming driver rate was 99% the risk is still a major one for cyclists. On my commute there could be several hundred cars that pass me every day, so the odds are stacked against cyclist at being at risk of other road users. Every cyclist has at least 1 near miss every spin that is the fault of other road users. Cyclists are more at risk from pedestrians stepping out on the road. Should pedestrians have insurance?

Any cyclist that has at least 1 near miss every spin shouldn't be interacting with traffic at all. You should reassess how you behave while on your "spin" and raise your self awareness levels - it's unlikely that it's always someone else's fault :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

carfinder wrote: »
    Any cyclist that has at least 1 near miss every spin shouldn't be interacting with traffic at all. You should reassess how you behave while on your "spin" and raise your self awareness levels - it's unlikely that it's always someone else's fault :eek:

I don't know about 1 per spin but even on my short trips across the city on Dublin Bikes I have had more hits/near misses that 25 years as a motorist. I would be extremely reluctant to rely on cycling to commute.
    Some of those hits and near misses were bus/car drivers who saw me in plenty of time but made a manoeuvre anyway or just didn't look before acting.

Absurd to require this of e-scooters and not bikes.

Absurd to be even thinking about this for bikes OR eScooters.

Try cycling in any of our cities.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,655 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Some of those hits and near misses were bus/car drivers who saw me in plenty of time but made a manoeuvre anyway or just didn't look before acting.
    yeah, many motorists when passing moving cyclists give about half as much space as they would if passing a moving car. there's no easier way to explain this other than many motorists really don't care about the safety of others.

i don't know if carfinder is a cyclist, but if not, i can offer this piece of advice - put an L plate up in your car and you're about halfway to the experience of a cyclist.
    it was kinda astonishing, when my wife was learning to drive, how the behaviour of many motorists deteriorated, just with the appearance of that L plate.
    but by carfinder's logic, this was probably all her fault somehow.

yeah, many motorists when passing moving cyclists give about half as much space as they would if passing a moving car. there's no easier way to explain this other than many motorists really don't care about the safety of others.

i don't know if carfinder is a cyclist, but if not, i can offer this piece of advice - put an L plate up in your car and you're about halfway to the experience of a cyclist.
    it was kinda astonishing, when my wife was learning to drive, how the behaviour of many motorists deteriorated, just with the appearance of that L plate.
    but by carfinder's logic, this was probably all her fault somehow.

My own opinion is that many cyclists get a smug superiority complex once they get on a bike. It gets very Orwellian - "two wheels good, four wheels bad" territory. And many cyclists seem to conflate defensive cycling with aggressive cycling.
    My own experience as a road user is that you must adapt your behaviour in line with the conditions e.g. on a hot summer day, expect lots of traffic - cars, pedestrians cyclists etc and expect the unexpected - kids running out on the road, cars parallel parking, etc. Most responsible road users adapt to the conditions. Notably, many cyclists that I observe do not.

Cant comment on your wife's experience but lets not get in the way of your strawman:rolleyes:
    If your experience as a cyclist is soo poor, maybe you should limit yourself to segregated cycle tracks where you will feel safer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Trekker09

My rule of thumb for defining a near miss is how close the car is to me when it passes me and the potential consequence if I had to move out to avoid something. This also goes for cars that overtake me then turn left, cutting me off. The point I'm making is that my well being is at the mercy of other road users.

My behaviour when I'm on my spin is to follow the rules of the road, be courteous and be aware of my surroundings at all times. I've been commuting by bike for over 40 years in various parts of the world and would consider myself a safe road user, both on the bike and when driving.

I am visible, obeying the rules of the road, so yes, it is someone else's fault. They are the ones taking the risk.

My own opinion is that many cyclists get a smug superiority complex once they get on a bike. It gets very Orwellian - "two wheels good, four wheels bad" territory. And many cyclists seem to conflate defensive cycling with aggressive cycling.
    My own experience as a road user is that you must adapt your behaviour in line with the conditions e.g. on a hot summer day, expect lots of traffic - cars, pedestrians cyclists etc and expect the unexpected - kids running out on the road, cars parallel parking, etc. Most responsible road users adapt to the conditions. Notably, many cyclists that I observe do not.

Cant comment on your wife's experience but lets not get in the way of your strawman:rolleyes:
    If your experience as a cyclist is soo poor, maybe you should limit yourself to segregated cycle tracks where you will feel safer

Funny how you single out cyclists here when this mainly applies to motorists :confused: Are you a regular cyclist?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I am unaware of anyone who sits on a bike and then suddenly feels superior. When I go out on a bike, I mind my own business. If I become aggressive or angry, it is not because I'm sitting on a saddle. It is because someone has done something dangerous that could have affected me. I don't go looking for drivers to admonish, give out to, block or whatever. As I said, I'm minding my own business. I believe this is the case for most people when they get on a bike.
    However, there is a definite hostility by some people as soon as they are in a car when they encounter a person on a bike.
    Someone on a bike will usually see a lot more of what is going on around them compared to a person driving a car.
    However, it can be difficult for a road user to see everything on good days when so many drivers park inconsiderately.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,894 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Cyclist do adapt.

If they don't they end up in a morgue.

Not that any of that excuses the selfishness of so many motorists.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,552 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I have driven many hundreds of thousands of kilometres (actually well over a million). I have cycled tens of thousands of kilometres

I've had people leaning out of car windows top slap me. I've had motorists overtaking me top then take a left, forcing me to brake sharply. I've had cars, lorries and indeed busses pass me at serious speeds giving me less than a foot or so of clearance. I've had motorists try and cut in front of me to avoid oncoming traffic. I've had cars entering roundabouts I am already on, cutting me up. I've even had one car forcing me onto a motorway sliproad as they attempted to go from the outside lane (on the "inside" of a roundabout) straight across the other lane which I was in. In those last two examples the drivers were very apologetic, but that would not have been much use if I had not taken action to avoid them hitting me.

Without doubt there are many people on bicycle shaped objects that take the p!ss on the roads. I would say the vast majority of motorists are very courteous. Alas though there is a minority of motorists who think the road is for them at the expense of others. There are others who are frankly clueless over how to drive safely and be courteous to other road users.

Then we have people calling for insurance, more tax, helmets, hi viz and the like who quite frankly have very little understanding of the relevant issues.

OK, so how and what forms 'your opinion'? I have asked if you are a cyclist and am looking forward to your response. I am yet to talk to a cyclist that is of the opinion that motorists are not a real and serious threat to their welfare. The simple fact is that no matter how safe and experienced a cyclist you are, the odds are against you due to the actions and behaviours of other road users.

OK, so how and what forms 'your opinion'? I have asked if you are a cyclist and am looking forward to your response. I am yet to talk to a cyclist that is of the opinion that motorists are not a real and serious threat to their welfare. The simple fact is that no matter how safe and experienced a cyclist you are, the odds are against you due to the actions and behaviours of other road users.

I am a road user - motorist, cyclist and pedestrian (and very occasional motorcyclist).
    There is a strong theme from the more avid cyclists on this thread that their views are more important than others - Beasty's post being particularly dismissive - bless him!
    Im guessing that the serial unlucky cyclists who have at least 1 "near miss" per spin actively meet trouble half way and are never disappointed. The aggressive antics of many cyclists belies their vulnerability on our roads:eek:

generally the near misses i would experience when out rural roads on the bike are oncoming motorists performing overtakes, even though i am oncoming traffic to them. i'm not sure what i can do to change my behaviour in that instance, in that if a motorist overtakes into oncoming traffic,they are 100% the ones in the wrong there.

I am a road user - motorist, cyclist and pedestrian (and very occasional motorcyclist).
    There is a strong theme from the more avid cyclists on this thread that their views are more important than others - Beasty's post being particularly dismissive - bless him!
    Im guessing that the serial unlucky cyclists who have at least 1 "near miss" per spin actively meet trouble half way and are never disappointed. The aggressive antics of many cyclists belies their vulnerability on our roads:eek:

The strong theme you talk about is indeed from avid cyclists, those with lots of experience and bad experiences. Your dismissive nature and pig headedness in the face of real cycling experiences and near misses highlights the attitude towards cyclists, that we are at fault simply for being on the road.

Please explain how I meet trouble halfway when a motorist cuts me off or passes me on a blind bend! 'The aggressive antics of many cyclists belies their vulnerability on our roads Err, isn't that a normal reaction when your welfare is being put at risk? Motorists get aggressive having to wait a few minutes to pass :D

I call bull**** on you being a cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

How is someone on a bike being aggressive to someone in a car by cycling?

The strong theme you talk about is indeed from avid cyclists, those with lots of experience and bad experiences. Your dismissive nature and pig headedness in the face of real cycling experiences and near misses highlights the attitude towards cyclists, that we are at fault simply for being on the road.

Please explain how I meet trouble halfway when a motorist cuts me off or passes me on a blind bend! 'The aggressive antics of many cyclists belies their vulnerability on our roads Err, isn't that a normal reaction when your welfare is being put at risk? Motorists get aggressive having to wait a few minutes to pass :D

I call bull**** on you being a cyclist.
    Quite the post. I call out the demonstrable dismissive attitude of cyclists on this thread and you accuse me of being dismissive - what a logic fail!

Your post says a lot about you though - you admit to being aggressive on the road so I have no doubt you are one of "those" type of cyclists.
    And I dont care whether you believe I cycle or not - its you and your fellow self righteous fellow cyclists trying to dismiss my stated position that cares - you know, so you can be dismissive:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

How is someone on a bike being aggressive to someone in a car by cycling?

you know the type - self righteous all the way to the end - and meets trouble half way and gets in to plenty of arguments with motorists - especially elderly ones that cant defend themselves

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement