Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies Greatest Irish No.1 of the 90s

Options
1282930313234»

Comments

begbysback wrote: »
    That would just be an Abba contest

It definitely would not!!
    Have you been to Finland, the music is pretty far away from abba ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

bubblypop wrote: »

Aren't they big into their death metal up there?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

ChannelNo5 wrote: »
    Aren't they big into their death metal up there?
    Black metal I think. Inverted crosses, corpsepaint etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Maybe for the earlier rounds, but by the time you get to last 8 it’s, Fernando v chiquitita, dancing queen v Waterloo and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Hard Rock Hallelujah by Lordi - the best Eurovision winner of the 21st century (and Finland's only winner to date!)! :D

Off the top of my head, for starters:

Iceland gives us Bjork. The group she was with previously were interesting: The Sugar Cubes - quite popular on the alternative scene in the late 1980s.

As well as Abba, Sweden gave us Ace of Base, Europe, Roxette and Avicci amongst others.

Norway, of course, gives us Aha! By the way, Abba's Frida is from Norway!

Then you have Aqua (best known for Barbie Girl) who are Danish and Norwegian!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Maybe for the earlier rounds, but by the time you get to last 8 it’s, Fernando v chiquitita, dancing queen v Waterloo and so on

Also for the whigfiled lovers out there :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Another act from Sweden are The Cardigans. They had a couple of good songs in the 1990s like Lovefool and Erase/Rewind.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,367 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Hard Rock Hallelujah by Lordi - the best Eurovision winner of the 21st century (and Finland's only winner to date!)! :D

Off the top of my head, for starters:

Iceland gives us Bjork. The group she was with previously were interesting: The Sugar Cubes - quite popular on the alternative scene in the late 1980s.

As well as Abba, Sweden gave us Ace of Base, Europe, Roxette and Avicci amongst others.

Norway, of course, gives us Aha! By the way, Abba's Frida is from Norway!

Then you have Aqua (best known for Barbie Girl) who are Danish and Norwegian!

Surprised recently while looking at a list of top selling albums of all time to find these guys just outside the Top 50 with about 25million sales of one album - The Sign I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I was having a butchers at Nordic groups.
    Colour me suprised to discover that Neneh and Eagle-Eye Cherry are both Swedish!

Also for the whigfiled lovers out there :rolleyes:

Ahh that's a great tune, no where near as rubbish as wigfield

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Robyn is Swedish, I love her stuff.

Finland have 53 heavy metal bands per 100,000 people!!

But also, Darude is Finnish and The Rasmus, so there is some life outside metal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Ooooh Swedish House Mafia :D

Delighted to see Whigfield in third, you may try shame me but I will feel no shame :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Speaking of Whigfield, who is Danish, that gives me another idea for a possible tournament: Greatest Song from a Nordic Act. The Nordic countries are Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland and Iceland.

Thinking of doing a 90's Eurodance party tournament :D have a week off at the end of May so hopefully will do it then. Or could just do a surlaw of it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Speaking of Whigfield, who is Danish, that gives me another idea for a possible tournament: Greatest Song from a Nordic Act. The Nordic countries are Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland and Iceland.

I think there's a good chance that it would be won by a Swedish act outright! Myself and my brother did a roadtrip around Scandinavia a few years back and put together a mixtape/playlist for the car of Scandi acts and it was only when we went looking we realised how many acts were Swedish but how few there were from Norway and Denmark and we wondered why there was such a discrepancy. Would add Iceland and Finland into that mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

ShaneU wrote: »
    Thinking of doing a 90's Eurodance party tournament :D have a week off at the end of May so hopefully will do it then. Or could just do a surlaw of it

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

As long as there is no no limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What was the winner?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

What was the winner?

Oasis - Don't Look Back In Anger

*sigh

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117024811&postcount=954

• Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

peteeeed wrote: »
    Tawny Kitaen has died : ‘Bachelor Party’ Actress And Whitesnake Video Vixen Was 59

https://deadline.com/2021/05/tawny-kitaen-dies-actress-and-whitesnake-video-vixen-was-59-1234752370/

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

The next Boardsies greatest tournament will be released tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Advertisement